Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Naked Ape

Default The Naked Ape

"When you line up the skins of the over 290 species of ape, the human skin stands out as the only skin which isn't covered by fur"
    Desmond Morris, The Naked Ape, 1967

That's the opening line of this, well, amazing book I lately borrowed from my school library. Although from the 1960's, don't get me wrong, it's written in awesomely understandable English (technical enough to get across its points, but nothing that your average guy couldn't understand without a few moments thinking) and tries to explain from an evolutionary/natural point why people are so different from other monkeys. It's supposedly the "basis" of modern anthropology (or study of societies), and honestly it manages to make sense out of a lot of stuff.

Such as,
    Ever wondered why guys get so obsessed over boobs or why black people tend to have bigger lips? Both are sexual signals according to The Naked Ape. Boobs increase stimulation, bigger lips because when the skin is dark you can't use red lips as an effective signal, instead they just get bigger to compensate.

The chapter on sex is honestly pretty large (people apparently are hornier and complex sexually than all other animals) and since I take my time reading books I've only finished the first two chapters. The book however, to try and be objective, treats humans as a "specimen" to be researched. So it's really objective and blunt. But logical. So if you find the idea interesting then read it, but if you think as a species we have "super awesome reasons for doing stuff" then you might get offended.

nota: not trying to convert anyone, just figured some ppl on this board would find it interesting/a recent other topic here made me think of posting this

Oh, man. That sounds awesome! I'll be sure to pick it up if I can find it around here.

As for why men like boobs........

Let's just say that Freud was right. At least, that's what I think. Or maybe it has something to do with having babies. I dunno. :tongue: But boobies are awesome.

Yay for anything that can explain technical stuff to the layman. All too often experts get so steeped in jargon, equations, and otherwise are so used to being at a high level they forget how to write for an intelligent but untrained audience.

Quote Originally Posted by NeiNei View Post
    Oh, man. That sounds awesome! I'll be sure to pick it up if I can find it around here.

Let's just say that Freud was right. At least, that's what I think. Or maybe it has something to do with having babies. I dunno. :tongue: But boobies are awesome.
    Yeah it is pretty awesome. If your public library supports shipping from other in-state or even out-of-state libraries you should be able to get it. I also know they have a few copies on amazon because I thought about buying the book before I decided to just borrow it.

Mako

Sounds like something I'd enjoy, I'll try to track it down. Random interesting tidbit: Humans also have the biggest penis out of all the claves derived from Anthropoidea. Even gorillas!

But the human body is covered in hair. EVERY part of our bodies has some type of hair coming out of it, even if you have to be put up to a light to see it. Guess that leads into a discussion of the difference between "fur" and "hair"

Anyway, sounds like an interesting book to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Sounds like something I'd enjoy, I'll try to track it down. Random interesting tidbit: Humans also have the biggest penis out of all the claves derived from Anthropoidea. Even gorillas!
    Yes, but we lose out on testicle size. We're right in the middle, which indicates that we're supposed to be pair-bonded for life... mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by NeiNei View Post

Oedipus complexes? I doubt it. I think we find that children grow attached to their primary caretaker, regardless of gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Bua View Post
    Such as,
    Ever wondered why guys get so obsessed over boobs or why black people tend to have bigger lips? Both are sexual signals according to The Naked Ape. Boobs increase stimulation, bigger lips because when the skin is dark you can't use red lips as an effective signal, instead they just get bigger to compensate.
    So since I don't care for boobs I am not a monkey? Sweet.

Zpeed

fur and hair not the same thing

while were on the subject, whats the reason/point we have hair?
    on the head is fine, but the rest of the hair i could be wihtout