Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rising costs of college!

Default Rising costs of college!

How smokes! I am applying for college now and I am seeing that I will probably need around 60k to go to the schools of my choice. It is ridiculous! Since I am paying for it all myself, unlike most of the people I go to class with. Mommy and Daddy will be paying for all of their education. I am going to be up to my eye balls in debt, which is why I am so obsessed with money, b/c I need so much of it to even live some what comfortably. Is anyone else a little freaked out with how much college will cost them?

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    How smokes! I am applying for college now and I am seeing that I will probably need around 60k to go to the schools of my choice. It is ridiculous! Since I am paying for it all myself, unlike most of the people I go to class with. Mommy and Daddy will be paying for all of their education. I am going to be up to my eye balls in debt, which is why I am so obsessed with money, b/c I need so much of it to even live some what comfortably. Is anyone else a little freaked out with how much college will cost them?
    Yep, I'm terrified.School is costing me a lot of money.

But there are grants and scholarships you can apply for. Unless you think you're too good for that.

Not a chance, I am a capitalist! Any type of money out there I will take.

Quote Originally Posted by krebstar View Post
    60k a year or 60k total?
    Total.
    Last edited by Martin; 08-Oct-2009 at 06:27. Reason: Merging doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Not a chance, I am a capitalist! Any type of money out there I will take.
    FastWeb : Scholarships, Financial Aid, Student Loans and Colleges
    This site has a lot of scholarships available. Sign up and look around. It helped me a lot.

60k for a four year education is actually not terrible. I *think* that's about the price of most in-state public schools. You should be able to get financial aid if you are truly paying for it out of pocket/independently of your parents. There are also federal student loans. Also apply for scholarships, fastweb.com for example - when you visit the school be sure to ask the financial aid department as well. I made the mistake of being lazy and not doing it.

Where do you want to go?

Y'know, you're not the only one who's paying for college on their own. It's quite ignorant to assume that everyones mommy & daddy is paying for them.

Quote Originally Posted by krebstar View Post
    60k for a four year education is actually not terrible. I *think* that's about the price of most in-state public schools. You should be able to get financial aid if you are truly paying for it out of pocket/independently of your parents. There are also federal student loans. Also apply for scholarships, fastweb.com for example - when you visit the school be sure to ask the financial aid department as well. I made the mistake of being lazy and not doing it.

Where do you want to go?
    Central Michigan or Yale, but Central as a more realistic choice.

Don't discount Yale if you get accepted. I understand they have a lot of scholarships. Most colleges and Universities offer various work programs which help defray the cost. Both my wife and I went through college on loans, and worked. My dad had a massive heart attack my Freshman year, never to work again. My mom was a secretary, so there was little money. But I got my degree from a music conservatory in Princeton, N.J. It can be done.

When my kids were ready for college, I joined a rock band to earn money for their college tuition. My wife worked extra jobs after school. Sometimes parents need to realize that they brought their children into this world, and they are responsible for their education.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Don't discount Yale if you get accepted. I understand they have a lot of scholarships. Most colleges and Universities offer various work programs which help defray the cost. Both my wife and I went through college on loans, and worked. My dad had a massive heart attack my Freshman year, never to work again. My mom was a secretary, so there was little money. But I got my degree from a music conservatory in Princeton, N.J. It can be done.

When my kids were ready for college, I joined a rock band to earn money for their college tuition. My wife worked extra jobs after school. Sometimes parents need to realize that they brought their children into this world, and they are responsible for their education.
    Wow nice an Ivy League man. I want to go to an Ivy league school for a major in business and a minor in political science.