Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: had to reformat, lost EVERYTHING.

Default had to reformat, lost EVERYTHING.

Well no matter what I tried to do, I kept getting Blue Screen Of Death since last night after my computer crashed for some unknown reason.

I am fine losing my programs and games since they are replaceable, my music really isn't though. I'll have cope though, just really really sucks ass. Its hard to backup 320 gigs.

Also WTF is up with this scrolling in firefox on Adisc? It makes it seem like a very laggy computer game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Also WTF is up with this scrolling in firefox on Adisc? It makes it seem like a very laggy computer game.
    Sounds like you've forgotton to reinstall your graphics card drivers.

Dude just get a network storage device.

Then you can just back it up anytime.

hmmm well it did backup all the data and its still on my main hard disc drive. Now the only problem is how to get everything back to its proper place, I tried to drag and drop but the computer just doesn't seem to want to do it. Or it's just too much data for it at one time.

This might help you, then:

Roadkil.Net

The Unstoppable Copier is incredibly useful!

Do you know what The Blue Screen of death said? Sometimes it will tell you what drivers/system files ect. are causing the problem. then again you already reformated so I guess it doesn't matter... unless it still there. In which case its something corrupt when you reinstalled the OS or (more likely) A hardware problem. You didn't happen to install switchblade did you? Switchblade is a program that allows you to use your console controllers on your comp and as far as I know it installs a corrupt system file 'AksFridge.sys' (its something for alladen knowlege systems security or something and is used for keeping you registration for the program). Just get a torrent for Xpadder if that sounds interesting to you.

Once when my computer had blue screens cause was hardware fault. My RAM-sticks were corrupted. You can test your memory with memtest86+ if problems continues. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool You have to download "** Memtest86+ V4.00 (22/09/2009) **" and Download "Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)" so you can burn it to cd or dvd disc. It is also possible to install Memtest to usb memory stick but it's little more complicated.

The Blue Screen of Death isn't just a random fart from Windows. It's caused by something, and the codes you get in the BSoD -do- tell you what's going on, you just have to google these codes to see what's going on.

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, you almost never need to reformat if you get BSOD problems. The Windows Vista installation disc has a very useful repair utility that fixed my problems 100% of the time.

Windows 7 goes two steps further. If it fails to boot, Windows will automatically launch the repair utility from the hard drive to try and repair it. You can also burn a CD straight from the rescue CD utility that can be found by typing "repair" into the start menu box and clicking on "Create a System Repair Disc". You don't need any external software, it does it all itself. And it's great for laptops because you don't need to risk the original installion disc, you can run off as many copies as you want.

A Godsend for all computer issues is a CD called "Hiren Boot", it's free and can be downloaded here. Includes its own utility for burning a bootable CD.

And I'm sorry but copying everything on your hard drive onto something else is NOT a backup, it's just copying. If you were to copy off the hard drive then back onto it I can guarantee you Windows will not boot again. Windows 7 also has another fantastic utility, a backup utility. Again, does everything itself, works reasonably well and WILL work if you have to format your hard drive. Backs up everything to one movable file and you can even restore this backup by double-clicking it, or by using the repair disc I mentioned earlier.

But I'm afraid that while it's easy enough to get your data back, you won't get your programs back. When programs install themselves they also need to embed themselves in Windows through the registry. If Windows is reinstalled, obviously all these registry entries will be lost and the programs will no longer work. It's more complicated than that but I could go on.

Anyway, if you insist on keeping XP or Vista (which is a joke because Windows 7 is faster than both), have a look for a good backup program so you won't have to format again.

Oh, and by the way, the slow scrolling is because no graphics driver is installed. That's easily fixed and installing the drivers again is paramount, it's one of the "first week" tasks with buying a new computer. It's also a good idea to update them as this will keep your computer fast and stable. And keep Windows up to date too for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Windows 7 goes two steps further. If it fails to boot, Windows will automatically launch the repair utility from the hard drive to try and repair it.
    My Vista install does this aswell. So it may have been a Vista feature from the start, or a SP might have added it.

A Godsend for all computer issues is a CD called "Hiren Boot", it's free and can be downloaded here. Includes its own utility for burning a bootable CD.
    And I'm sorry but copying everything on your hard drive onto something else is NOT a backup, it's just copying.
    It is too a backup. I care about my data, so I backup my data by copying it. I don't care about my programs so much, as they can be reinstalled (it also forces me to get rid of all the crud I don't actually use).

Anyway, if you insist on keeping XP or Vista (which is a joke because Windows 7 is faster than both), have a look for a good backup program so you won't have to format again.
    Not everyone can afford to upgrade to every new version of Windows. I believe pricing will start at €180. So of course it's silly to refuse Windows 7 if you can get it, but keeping Vista or XP because of money concerns is not.
    Last edited by Hex; 15-Oct-2009 at 19:18. Reason: bbcode messed up

The blue screen of death only gave two lines of info.. however I couldn't get into windows at all safe mode or not. Anyways it did back up the data to the hard drive so I got everything back anyhow. Just had to move a shitload of files around.