Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here use an iPhone?

Butterfly Mage

Default Anyone here use an iPhone?

I'm changing service providers on Wednesday (T-mobile terminated all their roaming agreements, so now my phone hardly works anywhere). So my partner and I want to get iPhones since they seem to have a lot of PDA functionality in 0addition to working like a phone and an iPod.

Has anyone here used one?

What do you like about it?

What do you *dislike* about it?

i currently have an iphone 3gs and i love the thing. ive been stuck here at basic training and its come in handy. ive used it mainly because it saved me from bringing about 20 different devices down here with me. i love the fact it has all the apps that it dose and i can do all my banking right from it.

The only thing i dont like about it really is att's unwillingness to allow users to tether. However there is a workaround to it provided you dont have the 3.1 update, there should be a workaround coming for that firmware too.

As long as you can afford the 30$ data a month plus your minutes and texting if you use it (i dont, i just use aim from the phone ) its really a great phone.

Butterfly Mage

Before I changed jobs, there was a backdoor workaround for tethering. Create a manual internet connection with *99***1# as the dial-up phone number. Then under the modem configuration tab use +at=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

Doing that tricks the service provides into thinking the internet request is originating from the handset and not a computer. At least it worked that way in 2005. It will be interesting to see if the backdoor still exists.

I won't bother to list the positive points as they currently make up 50% of the internet tech sites.

The Negatives:
    iTunes: Worst PoS software ever. It lags horribly, the updated tries to install Safari (which then tries to set itself as the default), it randomly refuses to send files without explanation.
    Bluetooth: In comparison to other phones, there may aswell be none. Hands free headsets are the only use you'll get.
    Durability: You know that touch screen? In 6 months it will be scratched/fingermarked to pieces. If the backs anything like the iPod touch, that'll be scratched to bits aswell.
    Apple culture: Ask for help on the Internet, and you'll be bombarded by Mac fanboys, insisting it's Windows' fault and Apple's iTunes can't be to blame.
    Customer support: Im very pissed off at Apple ATM. My headphone jack is broken, and they need to replace the iPod. The problem? They want 60 for a warranty on the replacement, or else the original warranty (which expires about a week after the replacement gets here, is the one that applies. This is (a) very unfair and (b) possibly illegal.
    Risks of convergence: This doesn't apply as specifically to the iphone as much as it does all similar devices. If something happens your 30 Nokia, you just need to buy a cheap phone. If something happens your iPhone, you need a new phone, a new mp3 player, a new PDA, a new Internet device.

The iPhone is a unique device. Some phones have better storage, some are better value, some are more open, some are better phones. but nothing does the all in one device as effectively. You would assume after all the problems listed above I hate it. But I don't. Anyone who talks to me knows my iPod touch is my favorite gadget.

Because of my dislike of Apple and Apple culture, if Creative, Microsoft, Nokia, Palm or Sony came out with a device that was it's equal or better, I would jump ship. But they havent.

(Note: The iPod Touch = The iPhone minus the camera and phone functions)
    Last edited by Hex; 04-Oct-2009 at 18:02.

Butterfly Mage

The "Apple Culture" thing is something I'm aware of too, and I don't like it. One of my coworkers has a MacBook and acts like no other laptop can do what it does (hint: a properly configured Dell will do just fine, for half the price or les).

I do like the idea of carrying around fewer devices. But you're right that if the gadget gets lost, a lot gets lost with it.

I will probably get a screen protector for the iPhone so that the touchscreen doesn't wear out. I've had touch-sensitive devices before, so I'm aware of their limitations.

Thanks for your feedback! I was hoping to see some negatives as well as positives so that I know what to expect.

Get something like a Blackberry Storm, the iPhone is too gimmicky, and is full of DRM, copy right this and copy right that. The Blackberry is far more functional.

Butterfly Mage

Alas, the Storm is a Verizon-only product. Verizon also makes you do a $99.99/month rate plan for a Balckberry. That's kinda steep.

The apple culture thing doesn't exist in near the numbers people make them out to be... I've come across two nutty mac users: one is an aunt and one was a hippyish friend I had in college.

The nuttiest mac fanboys I've seen don't even use a mac. They're just sick of windows and are on the cusp of switching to something else.

Go read the apple forums and you'll see how fanboyish mac users actually are...

And then there are some things that just are better... or are at least subjectively better. If you're a software developer, and you're not doing .NET, you're probably running linux or os x. There's a reason/s for that.

Anyway... on the phone itself... I love the phone. I mean, sure, I bitch about the lack of bluetooth features and the capricious nature of app store approval and the previous lack of MMS... the poor camera... the fact that one of my games often has framerate issues... the previously crappy instant messaging apps... but really, it's the best cell phone I've had so far, and I've had my fair share of "smart" phones.

Does the iphone match up feature to feature to all the other smart phones on the market? No, it doesn't. However, I've had phones that had all the features the iphone has... and I just found that I never used them. Rather, I used them a couple times, and once the "wow, I can do that" factor wore off, I never used them again. The usability wasn't there.

My phone before my iphone was some HTC model (I used to know all sorts of things about it, that I've since forgotten)... I was quite impressed with it from a feature list perspective. But even web browsing sucked on it. Sure you could do it, but it was a real pain in the ass to do it.

I went from my HTC (which was 3G) to the iphone (which wasn't) and I still used the internet related features far more than I ever did on my htc or my palm treo before it. Because it's easier to figure out? No. Because it's more convenient to use.

I haven't had an issue with scratches on my 3g iphone. I do not keep it in a case, and while I try to keep it by itself in its pocket, it often shares that pocket with my car/house keys and thumb drive.

I would recommend visiting an apple store or a cell provider store and trying one out. Try out various features you think you may be interested in, and note the steps involved in doing those things.

I just got a 3GS last week. I love it, and I've had an original iPod Touch since around when they came out. So obviously I like them. As far as Bluetooth go, I don't use it, and I don't ever plan to. I don't use the 3G capabilities unless I want my internet to go a little faster, otherwise it drains the battery (which already isn't great, but it tolerable).

I'm not even sure what tethering is, so I'm fine if it works or not.

You can choose not to download Safari and updates you don't want with the Apple updater thing. All it is is a minor inconvenience, but not really something worth complaining about.

As far as it getting scratched, well the screen is actually kind of scratch resistant. If don't want scratches though, just get a case for it. You can get one for like $20-$30, and some come with a screen protector part to. The real pain is putting on the protector, but I actually managed to put it on real well.

You should definitely get the unlimited data plan, otherwise, you wouldn't be able to do a lot of things without a wifi connection. If you don't want to get a text message plan, then they make apps for like unlimited text messages, with a one time payment of around $5 probably.

Oh, and I'd definitely set up a pin code thing, so not just anyone can go onto it. There is also a thing where it will erase all your data if you mess up on the code 10 times.

As for negatives, putting in the pin code every time can be a pain, especially if you're instant messaging with someone, and you like to lock the phone while you wait for an answer.

Battery life isn't great like I said, but I can tolerate it. There are plenty of ways to prolong it too. Other than that, there aren't really any things I can complain about other than things people have been saying for ages (such as having apps run in the background), but you can solve some of those things if you jailbreak your iPhone. I wouldn't really recommend this though, and as far as I know you can't do it for the 3GS yet, or the 3.1 update.

I love my iPhone. I've never had any issues with it really. The only huge problems I've heard of is that if you live in a populated area, AT&T's network might be overwhelmed and you won't be able to get 3G (even if it is supposed to be available) and calls might not go through.

I used to have Verizon and honestly had never had a single dropped call from them. AT&T seems to drop calls more often, but I think that's the network not being prepared for the heavy usage again.

But the internet works wonderfully with it. Just like on my home computer with the big exception that Apple and flash don't get along, so no flash on iPhone But other than flash, I can use it pretty normally, no issues and if 3G is active, quite fast. It's smooth and quite easy to use, I think.

Some people complain about the lack of a tactile/real keyboard, and I'll admit that it takes some getting used to, but once you've used it a bit, I don't think you'll have an issue, but just be aware if you really want to feel the buttons under your fingers...

Of course you are required to get a data plan with it (but I've always wondered who would get an iPhone if they didn't want the data plan...) so it can be pricey.

Now there is finally MMS support for iPhone. Tethering is still not active I believe and it will probably cost more...but I dunno.

But I'd say unless you live in a big city with a lot of AT&T users, you'll be ok and will most likely love it. It's not perfect...but it's the best phone I've ever used anyway. As for scratches, I just slip it in a little case and take it out when needed. Some prefer the case that is always on the phone, but either way, I've never had any scratch issues with the screen or phone itself.