Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diapers in hospital

Default Diapers in hospital

Hi, I would like to know if somebody here has a real experience of being put in diapers in a hospital. I don't know but I would think that unless you are really heavilly incontinent (pooping your pants) they will not use them on you and they will prefer a catheter. I have read a lot of stories of being put in diapers but does really somebody have this experience ?

There is a tube for the backside as well. I forget what they call it, the procedure that is, but I've seen several people use them. I think Diapers would be more used in a Nursing Home, or Rehab center than a hospital.

I think you're right, that hospitals generally prefer to use cathaters. Those in the know tell me that when a hospital does apply a diaper it is usually a super-cheap institutional brand and not very effective.

A couple of years ago I had to undergo a fairly major back surgery. Had to fill out a long form about any & all "pre-existing" conditions. The form had a catagory for "bedwetting" which I marked in the affirmative. I will admit I entertained a few pleasant fantisies about being changed by a cute young nurse however no mention was made of the issue. I was told not to eat or drink anything for several hours before the procedure. After the surgery and recovery room, I finally awoke (dry) and discovered I had gone over ten hours without peeing, which has to be some kind of record for me. I believe the period of fasting beforehand along with the anesthetic, which slows the metabolism to a low ebb, were responsible for this. I suspect the hospital staff knew this, which is why they took no special precautions such as diapers or cath even though I was an acknowledged bedwetter. When I woke up in the recovery area, sore & very fatigued, my previous nurse/diaper fantasies had all fled anyway. Just as well, because all my attending nurses were male, not young and not particularly cute

A nurse I know told me later that bedwetting is fairly common in hospitals. The mattresses are all made with protective covers, and generally the staff finds it both easier & cheaper to just change out the bedding as necessary rather than constantly messing with diaers.

They also frequently use the flat bed pads under the person. Change the gown and put a new pad under and you are done.

I remember a well thought of member here telling us he was either put in diapers in the hospital, and/or sent home with diapers. I won't use his name because I respect who he is, and it would be his place to re-tell the story.

But yes, they use the blue pad under the patient and change out the pad and bedding, or they use a catheter. I've had both used on me when I've been in the hospital.

if you happen to wear them when you are admitted. The likely chance is that they will keep you in them. Expect a REALLY crappy diaper unless you bring your own.

So, working as a nurse in a hospital myself, on a GI floor no less, let me tell you our policy. We do not use diapers at all except in rare circumstances or if the patient absolutely insists upon them, and even then we try to explain why they shouldn't wear them.

The reason is that it can cause skin breakdown and lead to pressure ulcers if the patient is less mobile than normal...which you do not want since at best it causes some pretty bad irritation and at worst it can lead to gaping wounds that lead down to the bone (although a wound that bad generally is due to poor care or other conditions). Someone who is just laying in bed, not moving much and wearing one of those is laying in sweat and bodily fluids and on areas of the body not normally used to extended pressure. Even if they get excellent care and are turned often if they can't turn themselves, some kind of undesirable effect can still happen, due to the body being sick and less mobile than it should be.

Even those little blue pads (called chux) are basically banned since they have a plastic back and can lead to sweat and such. We use pads, but they are made of fabric and are still waterproof on the bottom.

As for catheters, the rule is that you do not use them for convenience or simply to stop incontinence, since they can lead to bladder infection. If someone can't go, then yes. After surgery, yes. As soon as possible, though, we get the catheter out.

Also, the rule we go by is that we assist the patient to become as independent as possible, so if you can do for yourself, that's what you do. If someone is able to do some self care, then we must encourage that. If you ask a nurse or a NA (nursing assistant) to change you or clean you up when you are perfectly able to get up and do it yourself, expect to be lectured. We will help you if you need it, but the stuff you can do yourself, we let you do.

This isn't to be mean, it is to prepare the patient to go home and take care of themselves again, which is the ultimate goal, unless the patient will no longer be able to care for themselves due to a more serious accident/condition. We help people who can't help themselves and fill in the gaps of care that patients cannot do. This is probably different in a nursing home/long term care facility, but in hospitals, we need to get the patient back to functioning levels as soon as possible. The quicker you can become active again, the healthier it is for your body. Moving around is actually the best way for your body to heal. Laying in bed all day not doing anything leads to extended disease or can create new problems. The body is not used to laying around. It can not function properly that way.

And I guarantee you that if you were to end up in the hospital on a floor like mine, wanting to wear diapers would be the last thing on your mind. GI problems aren't fun...

Ah, and the tube for the other end is called quite simply, a rectal tube.

Well stated, MixyNyxi. My daughter in law is an RN, and specializes in wound care. You are absolutely right about everything you said. Bed sores are a big problem in hospitals. My wife had a diabetic ulcer on the bottom of her foot that has lasted for 4 years. There have been times that I used a swap to clean it out, and it went all the way to the bone. I would rub against the bone with the swap dipper in sterile saline. The foot is now healed after many surgeries.

As for catheters, they are no fun. After my back surgery, I had to learn to catherize myself, so that I could go home. After three weeks, the swelling in my spine went down, and things worked normally. Diapers for people such as ourselves are for fun, escape, comfort, etc., but having to have to wear one is a very different issue.

Mixy ...what if the person is already incontinent and diapered when they come in?