Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diaper Engineering

Default Diaper Engineering

I'm curious if or how people alter their diapers.

Last night my wife pulled out a diaper that she had altered with a pair of scissors. She cut off the lower tapes so there was only a single pair of tapes. She said it made them look less "medical" to her and it made them more comfortable and appealing to me.

I guess I'm wondering what sort of after market engineering is out there. Any further recommendations? I was excited to have a diaper that felt a bit more authentic.

Lill

Haven't made any major modifications to a diaper since taping baby diapers together to fit me.
    Never cut the tapes off but have done some trimming outside the gathers and to the wings to enlarge the leg fit.

What I do is take a Goodnite and cut slits in the plastic. Once there's a fairly even distribution of slits around it, I put it on, then put a Depend on top of that. I can get a full day of wettings in there before I start to leak.

I use staples occasionally to reinforce the tapes... but that's about it. I'm sure there are tons of things that are possible, though

Quote Originally Posted by diapersocal View Post
    What I do is take a Goodnite and cut slits in the plastic. Once there's a fairly even distribution of slits around it, I put it on, then put a Depend on top of that. I can get a full day of wettings in there before I start to leak.
    That is brilliant! Why didn't I think of this.. haha. Good way to get rid of goodnites.

Does doubling up count? Like cutting the plastic on one and putting on another on the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Prussic_aux View Post
    Does doubling up count? Like cutting the plastic on one and putting on another on the top?
    Similar to my idea? Or something else? I'm curious now.

generally, i don't modify dispies; it defeats the design intent of them, the use 'em and lose 'em ideal. but, of course, i have dabbled and experimented in order to get something as close to the baby design as possible. all in all though, it doesn't seem worth the time and effort.

with the latter in mind, and in keeping with the convenience aspect of the dispie, the only modification i'll bother with nowadays is to reduce the length of the wings on the euro-style Attends as they are too long, even on the mediums. to be honest though, i don't even bother doing this, normally; even with one of the tapes stuck to the opposing cloth-like wing, i've never had one detach in use.
    anyway, the mod' is easy and quick (five minute job, or less) as the cloth-like fabric lends itself to being glued and then rapdily drying enough to be used in the time it takes to get changed and be ready to don the fresh, modified, diaper.

(missing image)
    (missing image)
    (missing image)

and, with the euro-attends, i always pre-crease the lower-outer corners of the velcro tabs to prevent them sticking in my hips as i move (yeah, they could've made them round or oval or triangular, but they don't care about the wearers).

Default Diaper Engineering

I stuff mine most of the time as I drink a lot due to dry mouth from my meds. I cut a slit with a utility knife along the top of the padding at the back of the diaper, just deep enough to cut through the liner. Then I put my hand and separate the padding from the liner. Then I take my stuffer, which is whatever baby diaper I found on sale, or a goodnite or underjam and use a scissors to cut just along the inside of the leg gather on the stuffer on both sides. Next I cut a series of small 1/4 inch slits (about 20) in the stuffer. Then I pull the top of the stuffer through the hole I made in the liner of the adult diaper until I have the stuffer situated where I want it. I take a peice of duct tape and narrow it by a 2/3 the long way and tape the hole shut. Voila, ultra absorbant diaper. I like them stuffed inside the liner because I have found they leak less then. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really only takes me a minute or two.

Most of the time I use this method.

YouTube - How to stuff a diaper

Otherwise I might just tear the tabs off and make a slit from the front of the diaper to the back down the center. Then place the cut diaper in the other.