View Poll Results: What do you think of the idea?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smart and creative

6 37.50%
  • Cool

9 56.25%
  • Sucks

0 0%
  • Thats dumb

1 6.25%

Thread: My plans to build a makeshift

Default My plans to build a makeshift

For months I've been making plans on making a homemade onesie by buying a long t-shirt and putting snaps on the bottom both back and front of the shirt. does anyone have an opinion on this?

You should do it. The snaps might be a bit difficult if you don't know how to sew...You could try Velcro, perhaps? My issue is that I wear XL shirts, so, I'd have to get an XXL shirt or an XXXL shirt for it to fit like that.

careybw

Snaps are actually pretty easy. Walmart sewing department has snaps, and the only tool you need to use is a hammer. I had a onesie from adultclothdiaper where 2 of the snaps popped off during the first use. Bought the snaps at walmart and took less than 5 minutes to put some new, heavier duty snaps on.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGrizzy View Post
    You should do it. The snaps might be a bit difficult if you don't know how to sew...You could try Velcro, perhaps? My issue is that I wear XL shirts, so, I'd have to get an XXL shirt or an XXXL shirt for it to fit like that.
    When you get a shirt try it on first to make sure it will work say for example, you wear an XL instead buy an XXL OR XXXL, then when you try it on try to see if it will work by pulling the bottom of both the back and front to see if they will meet and overlap each other, you'll want the crotch to be at least 8 inches wide with the 2 snaps spread no more than than 4 inches apart from one another down the middle. I would never try velcro cause
    1.Snaps are easier to install.
    2.Velco probably wouldnt stay.

Wouldn't it be much easier to get a normal shirt and then get 2 pieces of fabric to extend the shirt (upon which you put the snaps)?

Quote Originally Posted by babymick21 View Post
    Wouldn't it be much easier to get a normal shirt and then get 2 pieces of fabric to extend the shirt (upon which you put the snaps)?
    Yes it would but Im currently trying to build a simple one piece onesie that requires little work to make, but you are on the right track. Listen, I plan on putting this in the wiki if you would like to put your idea in the article then you are most welcome to it.

I think it's cool. Actually, when I went to the store today, I checked out the shirts to see if any could easily be converted into a onesie. I found some T-shirts that seemed longer than usual and grabbed a large, XL, and XXL (I normally wear a medium). Unfortunately, the only one that was long enough (taking into account diapers, which require more clearance) was the XXL--which looked like a tent.

The only think I can think of to fix that is adding fabric extensions to the bottom of the T-shirt. Or just using a nightshirt (those super long T-shirts that usually go down below the knees), but I've only seen those sold in the womens' section.

I made my 2nd onesie by pining a scrap of cloth to the front & back of a tee shirt. My first? A girls one piece swimsuit.

Eureka, it works, and it houses a diaper quite nicely if I do say so myself, Its a 4X sky blue shirt that I found for sale at a local Kmart.
    I wish I could post a picture of it but sadly I dont have a camera

zach

You should, in both bottom corners cut it diagonally, it'd look more babyish, and have that classic v shapped lower area.