Thread: $150 edge-of-space camera

Default $150 edge-of-space camera

The $150 Edge-of-Space Camera: MIT Students Beat NASA On Beer-Money Budget | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

The full article can be found at the above link, but to sum it all up: 2 MIT students spent what amounted to beer money to take pictures of the Earth's curvature from near space (93,000 ft - 17.5 miles) by building a home-made rig to get a cheap camera up there.

The official website is here: 1337arts

After reading this, I'm probably going to have to try this out.

EPIC WIN.

Damn MIT students and their clever ideas - why can't I just spontaneously come up with such awesome plans?

It's not only EPIC WIN but EPIC LUCK too. The balloon could of popped at any point during the flight for a number of reasons and simply finding the "crash" site is luck. I am glad it worked out for them and I admit its cool but still luck just has to be on their side the whole way for it to go as smoothly as it did.

The government thinks you cant do anything unless you spend millions of dollars, a long time ago I think it was the 80's the government was buying hammers you could buy in a hardwear store for 2 bucks and paying 1600.00.

They also were buying toilet seats for 2500.00, now you ask why are we in such debt, these are only 2 examples that they caught, I imagine they bought alot of stuff from someones congressmens brother in law who happen to get the contract.

That's a whole other thread about how disgusting our government has become. And the sad part is....people think they can run healthcare better..hows that deficit medi-cade? BILLIONS! ok enough..

That camera is completely awesome! I might try to build one. might and try are operative word but it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    The government thinks you cant do anything unless you spend millions of dollars, a long time ago I think it was the 80's the government was buying hammers you could buy in a hardwear store for 2 bucks and paying 1600.00.

They also were buying toilet seats for 2500.00, now you ask why are we in such debt, these are only 2 examples that they caught, I imagine they bought alot of stuff from someones congressmens brother in law who happen to get the contract.
    They also spend BILLIONS of dollars of giving money to failing companies and not investigating to why these companies fail or even ask them why they fail.