Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: A new Hitcherhikers Guide book is coming.

  1. #1

    Default A new Hitcherhikers Guide book is coming.

    Well the new "The Hitcher Hikers Guide To The Galaxy" book is being written by Eion Clofer... (see Artemis Fowl)

    I never read a hitcherhikers guide book before. But if we are to judge him from his last book (Artemis Fowl vol 6. The Time Paradox) then its going to be pretty awful. Hopefully it's just the Artemis Fowl series that are getting progressively worse and not his talent.

    Again this is the guy who admitted he wrote "Die Hard, with fairy's"

  2. #2

    Default

    Have you ever heard the radio play, a long time ago in the 80's we made it a point to listen to the show, every wed evening, it was carried on our local public radio station WVIA, and it was very funny.

    I wish the movie was as good as the radio play, I still have the movie on my sattalite dvr.

    I still keep a towel in all of my cars.......

  3. #3

    Default

    I personally never been interested in the thing myself, though I did check out the movie and bought a used copy of it from blockbuster. I heard its good but like I said I am not that interested in it and the movie was enough for me.

    I just made this topic to inform people who may be interested in the book that I think its author is losing his talent, at least with one of his book series.

  4. #4

    Default

    A total shame, really. I didn't think they'd actually dig it back up and let another author work on something like this. o.o;;

    Great books, by the way, for any fans of science fiction period, I bet this book makes fun of whatever you happen to be a fan of. :P

  5. #5

    Default

    WHAT??? I don't care who is writing it... Douglas Adams has passed, and so with him has the Hitchhiker's Guide series. The movie was a disappointment, but the books/audio books/radioplay, etc were all excellent (especially the book and audio book).

    Sadly, I will probably end up reading this new book, simply because it is related to my favourite book series of all times..

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by andysetra View Post
    WHAT??? I don't care who is writing it... Douglas Adams has passed, and so with him has the Hitchhiker's Guide series. The movie was a disappointment, but the books/audio books/radioplay, etc were all excellent (especially the book and audio book).

    Sadly, I will probably end up reading this new book, simply because it is related to my favourite book series of all times..
    Aiiieee! This is why these things get made and will continue to be made regardless of artistic merit. If you feed it, they will continue.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Aiiieee! This is why these things get made and will continue to be made regardless of artistic merit. If you feed it, they will continue.
    I never said I would *buy* it. Give me some credit, I'll just torrent the e-book. Well, I'll try to stay away, but like a bad sequel to a great movie, I'll end up downloading it anyway >_<

  8. #8

    Default

    I've heard of the Artemis Fowl books but never read any of them because...well, they always sounded a bit rubbish. The Hitchhiker's Guide on the other hand is a work of near-genius - probably the book that has made me laugh more than any other bar Catch-22.

    So, this news is rather depressing. The series has been exploited enough and generally been diluted with each incarnation - the books are fantastic, the Radio 4 serialisations very good indeed, the old TV series was good if slightly redundant and the film was largely mediocre. How anyone would think that any writer is going to match let alone improve on Douglas Adams in writing a new book in the series is beyond me, so what on earth is the point of letting this go ahead?* For that matter, how is it going ahead? Adams is sadly dead but not long dead so presumably his estate would have had to grant copyright permission and whatnot for this? I can't imagine that the man himself would have liked the idea so it seems a real shame.

    I certainly not going to be buying it at any rate.


    *Obviously the point is to try an extract a huge wedge of cash by using the name of a much beloved series, but still...

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post
    I've heard of the Artemis Fowl books but never read any of them because...well, they always sounded a bit rubbish. The Hitchhiker's Guide on the other hand is a work of near-genius - probably the book that has made me laugh more than any other bar Catch-22.

    So, this news is rather depressing. The series has been exploited enough and generally been diluted with each incarnation - the books are fantastic, the Radio 4 serialisations very good indeed, the old TV series was good if slightly redundant and the film was largely mediocre. How anyone would think that any writer is going to match let alone improve on Douglas Adams in writing a new book in the series is beyond me, so what on earth is the point of letting this go ahead?* For that matter, how is it going ahead? Adams is sadly dead but not long dead so presumably his estate would have had to grant copyright permission and whatnot for this? I can't imagine that the man himself would have liked the idea so it seems a real shame.

    I certainly not going to be buying it at any rate.


    *Obviously the point is to try an extract a huge wedge of cash by using the name of a much beloved series, but still...
    The first 4 Artemis Fowl books are pretty good, mainly since Artemis Fowl is not only a major asshole but his plans are near perfect. In the 5th and 6th book I think he relies too much on his fairy friends or does it to help them out and gains nothing himself.

    As some people have mention Adams has died and I agree the books and everything else should of stopped there. Plus Eoin Colfer is letting the first Artemis Fowl movie have a pretty different ending I heard, so much for caring about his work or fans.

  10. #10

    Default

    I actually quite like the Artemis Fowl books but...

    1. Hitchiker's guide was a series that is finished. It ended with the complete destruction of the world along every possible timeline, continuum, other excuses to not have it happen. Douglas Adams was sick of writing it, so the intention behind Mostly Harmless was to make it impossible to write a sequel.
    2. Eoin Colfer, however good he might be, is not Douglas Adams. The style of this book will conflict with the rest of the series.

Similar Threads

  1. What Book are you reading now??
    By Siege89 in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-Aug-2009, 04:45
  2. Book suggestions
    By dinorider in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2009, 01:25
  3. The book you are reading...
    By weswissa in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 20-Sep-2008, 15:11
  4. ADISC Book Circle!
    By Dawes in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 23-Feb-2008, 01:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.