Thread: A great man has died

Default A great man has died

For those of you who don't know who he was, Norman Borlaug was the greatest man in history. He was a scientist who saved the world. He believed that you couldn't build a peaceful world on empty stomachs and human misery, so he went out there and did something about it. He saw people starving in some of the most poverty-riddled hellholes the world has seen, then packed up his family, moved, and created new strains of wheat and rice in Mexico, India, Pakistan, China, and Africa despite wars, famine, and disease. This man lived in those conditions and fed the world.

When he won the Nobel Prize in 1970, it was estimated that his efforts had saved the lives of over a billion people. The number has been growing since then. His technological, biological and agricultural breakthroughs are responsible for saving so many of us. What makes me really sad is that Michael Jackson's death hit the front page of every newspaper in the world, but Norman Borlaug probably won't crack section A of most papers that even bother to mention his passing.

He died on September 12th, 2009, at 11pm in his home in Dallas. He was 95 years old.

Thats very sad, well atleast he got to live a long and hopefully good/great life, instead of just dying around the age of 20!

Thats sad. I wish I had known...
    At least the countries he helped are being helped by numerous organizations now, so his death will not necessarily bring theirs.

Well we shall forever see his memory and pray for his surviving family members.

Definitely a great person! The world needs more people like that. May he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    Well we shall forever see his memory and pray for his surviving family members.
    Ah, prayer. How to do nothing and still feel like you're helping. Seriously, if you think praying for his family is appropriate, you know nothing of the man, his life, or his work. Dr Borlaug didn't pray for things to get better, he went out there and MADE things better. Saying you'll pray for his family is actually insulting. If you actually want to do something, take a few minutes and donate a few bucks to the Norman Borlaug Heritage Foundation, a non-profit founded to carry on the work of Dr Norman Borlaug. I made a donation earlier today.

The Norman Borlaug Heritage Foundation | Pledge Card

EmeraldsAndLime

I somehow feel Borlaug's achievements in saving humanity feigns in comparison to that one scientist who didn't launch a nuclear attack against Russia when the poor-quality radar equipment detected fake blips.

Can't remember his name for the life of me...

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    Ah, prayer. How to do nothing and still feel like you're helping. Seriously, if you think praying for his family is appropriate, you know nothing of the man, his life, or his work. Dr Borlaug didn't pray for things to get better, he went out there and MADE things better. Saying you'll pray for his family is actually insulting. If you actually want to do something, take a few minutes and donate a few bucks to the Norman Borlaug Heritage Foundation, a non-profit founded to carry on the work of Dr Norman Borlaug. I made a donation earlier today.

The Norman Borlaug Heritage Foundation | Pledge Card
    Is he the dwarf wheat guy? *googles* yup - yes, a hero. Glad you made this post.

I am reminded of Winston Churchill's quote:

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few
    Last edited by Raccoon; 14-Sep-2009 at 08:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    I somehow feel Borlaug's achievements in saving humanity feigns in comparison to that one scientist who didn't launch a nuclear attack against Russia when the poor-quality radar equipment detected fake blips.

Can't remember his name for the life of me...
    Stanislav Petrov Averts a Worldwide Nuclear War - Article - Bright Star Sound