Thread: Astro Boy...the movie

Default Astro Boy...the movie

Hey, guys! It's time for another edition of "Hollywood Destroys an Anime!" with your host, Nei! Now Hollywood is really going back in the day, and they're remaking...Astro Boy! YouTube - Astro Boy - Official Teaser 2 [HD]

Sure, Astro Boy was made in the early 60's, but I really don't like the idea of Hollywood messing around with it. The old animation was such a wonderful thing for me to watch as a kid, and...it just hurts me to see it coming out in 3D and such.

I feel like such a dork now

Mako

I don't think this is the same situation as it was with speed racer. They seem genuinely committed to doing a great update while staying true to the original characters. They've brought on the son of the original creator to ensure it stays true, though they obviously needed to update the outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    I don't think this is the same situation as it was with speed racer. They seem genuinely committed to doing a great update while staying true to the original characters. They've brought on the son of the original creator to ensure it stays true, though they obviously needed to update the outfit.

Ah, I guess you have a point there. Maybe I'm just a bit biased for not liking remakes of the good oldies? Either way, I don't think it'll be as bad as Speed Racer or Dragonball, considering that Astro Boy fits in with the kids' movie trends.

I never saw the original speed racer or astro boy, so I enjoyed the speed racer movie, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the astro boy movie. I don't like 3D though so I'll wait for it to come out on dvd.

I remember watching the original Astro Boy back in the early '60s on a snowy TV screen. It only came on Wash., D.C. channel 5 in our area and we lived about 40 miles up the road in Baltimore with only a rabbit ears antenna on top the old B&W TV! Didn't know it was a Japanese animation series at the time, just knew it looked a lot different from the other animation shows I watched.

~Pramrider

Although I liked Astroboy, it seems to me that all movie are either made after a comic book/tv series or are a sequel/prequel/remake. Can't Hollywood come up with something new?

I never liked the original Astro Boy so I doubt I'll like this one.