So, for the past week or so, my D-Link, wireless router has been showing signs of being... dead. It keeps a connection for about five seconds before dropping out for two or three. I'm fairly certain of its dead condition, and here is as comprehensive a list as I can make of things I've tried doing to fix it, and reasons I think so:
1) I've unplugged all the cords overnight and checked in the morning. No good.
2) I've also reset the router, then did a hard reset. About five times each. No good.
3) I checked which channel it was on, and it was set to auto-detect. I tried each of the channels with equal lack of success.
4) I've pinged it 100 times in succession (-n 100 or whatever) and it returns one of three things:
a. Reply (~80 ms reply time)
b. Timeout (every ten or so pings)
c. Hardware error. (Wat)
5) Switching the LAN cable that goes from one box to the wireless router. Still no good!
6) Had the crap scared out of me when a bug that was half cockroach, half scorpion scrambled out of the router while I was opening it to see if any apparent problems were present inside. I doubt a bug would have survived an electrocution so he probably didn't do anything. He's still a jerk. No visible problems.
7) Adjusting its and my antennae.
8) This router is >five years old. The copyright is 2004.
These things I haven't tried but will after school:
1) Using another computer with wireless to see if it's just my card, both right next to the router and from my room.
2) Checking the big router.
So, based on my tests and assumptions, do you think I need a new wireless router? And if so, which one? I've got about $35 to spend but if there are none that you would suggest under or at that amount I could add a little more for longevity.
Thanks in advance.