Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Programming Language?

Default Favourite Programming Language?

This is a remake of a thread I made almost a year and a half ago.

For those of you who program, what is your favorite programming language? Why?

My opinions:

This time last year, my answer was PHP. While I still like PHP, it's been knocked off the top spot by C#, which has a good mix of the simplicity of other newer languages, yet much of the power of C++. (It also, despite being based heavily on Java, doesn't have Java's continous attempts to protect you from yourself). It's still a bit overly object oriented (not everything is an object.), but no language is perfect.

I also have looked into python, and it's quite nice despite being a bit weird on the whole whitespace issue.

C++ is quite powerful (core language wise, it's standard library is rather lacking compared to newer languages), but it's lack of some things I take for granted in other languages like:

Code:
    int intarr[somevar];
    can be quite annoying.

I'm still not a fan of Ruby, and definitely not of Rails, despite using them both a good bit during my work experience.

While others <> agree

me.favoritelanguage = "Visual Basic 6"

next

might be the wrong syntax tho' xD
    anyway, visualbasic, easy and good enough for what I am using it for, .net sucks, it's typically microsoft to change their own products to look like others, and imho, that is what .net is, the programming language they had, but with a more C-like syntax...

ooh, and if you want to do some good ol' dos programming, I'll take QuickBasic please? ^^

Depends what I'm doing.

If I'm doing data-structures things, C++. It's powerful and lets me build a gun that I can shoot myself in the head with--as long as I pay attention to its strongly-typd nature.

If I'm doing "web stuff," PHP is simple and can be built out in a reasonable way. I'm looking to get into RoR though--please look in the programming social group if you can assist me there!

Basic. Only because I have yet to take the time to learn anything else properly, though I am aiming for C when I set aside the time.

10 print "Hello world"
    20 goto 10

aah the memories..

All I'm learning right now in school is Java...So that I guess. I think we'll be learning some Python too.

C

Have done some X86 assembler also, but it's really tedious. Dabbled in some other languages too.

I want to learn C++ but the object-orientation fries my brain "subclass the desktop" ???? I'm sorry I just don't get it.

Haha. Applescript. No. "Real" programming languages only.

I'd have to vote for VB6 which I clung to for dear life untill the Microsoft thugs pushed us all to VB .NET (05 currently).

So, yeah. VB6 and VB .NET.

Because C++ is a bitch(++).

Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    Haha. Applescript. No. "Real" programming languages only.

I'd have to vote for VB6 which I clung to for dear life untill the Microsoft thugs pushed us all to VB .NET (05 currently).

So, yeah. VB6 and VB .NET.

Because C++ is a bitch(++).
    Yay, irony!

Wait, you were going for that, right?

I'd say right now Python is my favorite, but I do mostly C at work (yay embedded systems!). Too bad to hear you don't like ruby -- although I don't use it much, I think it has some really cool ideas, and some original syntax haha.