Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live above the influence

Default Live above the influence

I'm sure you've seen these ads on tv. I know one series is like the truth about tabacco and I think that's smart. However, i've been seeing one series of ads that's all about "Living above the Influence" about drugs. Now I would approve of that if they did it on different drugs but all I ever see them do is marijuana.

They make it seem like it's going to kill you or your going to reck your future when all it really does is make you light headed, fall asleep and wake up ready to eat everything in your house. Granted the THC level can be altured and if it's growed incorectly it can mess you up but most of the time your fine.

Anyone else seen these ads and what's your take on them?

I haven't seen the specific ads, but I've seen several that sounds like them. My stand is basically that putting massive energy on making marijuana out to be a drug of death is counter-productive to preventing heavier drug use.

Basically because if you have kids thinking marijuana is going to ruin their lives, and they then find out that somebody they know smoked it and are doing just fine, what's to make them believe in everything they're being told about heavier drugs?

Sure, most kids are smart enough to make the distinction, but I've seen a couple of kids from my days in school totally fuck their lives up with drugs with pretty much the mindset that drugs won't hurt them since marijuana didn't.

I think kids should be warned about drugs that are actually dangerous to them. Not about something as harmless as a little pot.

For your amusement, here's probably the most entertaining after school special about marijuana yet. Featuring all you cartoon heroes:

YouTube - Cartoon All Stars To the Rescue part 1 of 3
    YouTube - Cartoon All Stars To the Rescue part 2 of 3
    YouTube - Cartoon All Stars To the Rescue part 3 of 3

Quote Originally Posted by RadGravity View Post
    I haven't seen the specific ads, but I've seen several that sounds like them. My stand is basically that putting massive energy on making marijuana out to be a drug of death is counter-productive to preventing heavier drug use.

Basically because if you have kids thinking marijuana is going to ruin their lives, and they then find out that somebody they know smoked it and are doing just fine, what's to make them believe in everything they're being told about heavier drugs?

Sure, most kids are smart enough to make the distinction, but I've seen a couple of kids from my days in school totally fuck their lives up with drugs with pretty much the mindset that drugs won't hurt them since marijuana didn't.

I think kids should be warned about drugs that are actually dangerous to them. Not about something as harmless as a little pot.
    Yeah they need to market that stuff like cocane is bad and stuff.

For your amusement, here's probably the most entertaining after school special about marijuana yet. Featuring all you cartoon heroes:

YouTube - Cartoon All Stars To the Rescue part 1 of 3
    YouTube - Cartoon All Stars To the Rescue part 2 of 3
    YouTube - Cartoon All Stars To the Rescue part 3 of 3
    Yeah and here's the review of that.

Drug Cartoon Special

I find it ironic that they spend all this time, money, and effort in telling the word that pot will ruin your life wile mostly ignoring drugs that will like, crack, coke, pain killers, meth, etc.

I'm a big fan of the show Intervention. Never once has there been a show on someone put into rehab because they were addicted to pot.

If parents think pot is bad they should take the time to talk with their kids about it and not let an electronic box raise their kids for them; this goes for more harmful drugs as well. It's unfortunate that nowadays more and more people assume tv is a great role-model or babysitter for their kids, but I digress.

I'm going to share something I heard years ago that is relevant:

Just because the Devil says water is wet doesn't mean it isn't.

Asher

For your amusement, here's probably the most entertaining after school special about marijuana yet. Featuring all you cartoon heroes.
    Haha! I haven't seen that in a long time. I forgot how funny that was.

In regards to the commercial: I think it is a good idea to get kids to not do drugs and whatnot. However, I have to agree with Takashi; they should at least tone it down a pinch for the marijuana commercials. Pot isn't going to kill you after all; a bit harmful to the brain cells, yes, but you can't overdose on it.

You know, thinking about it, I haven't seen these commercials for a while now. I know they're still out there, but I just haven't seen them...

Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    Haha! I haven't seen that in a long time. I forgot how funny that was.

In regards to the commercial: I think it is a good idea to get kids to not do drugs and whatnot. However, I have to agree with Takashi; they should at least tone it down a pinch. Pot isn't going to kill you after all...

You know, thinking about it, I haven't seen these commercials for a while now. I know they're still out there, but I just haven't seen them...
    Things are cyclical. Consider "Reefer Madness." These commercials are hardly that (yet).

Mako

A lot of the commercials I see here that are "anti-pot" make me want to do it more.

The reason they target it is because they have the misconception that it's the "gateway drug". Most teens at the very least try pot at some point during highschool. But it's not the drug itself that makes them crave harder stuff, that's a personality thing. What makes it a gateway is the experience one gets buying, or in some cases dealing pot. Fucking legalize it, and you cut off the experience and confidence those who would jump to harder stuff eventually. No one starts on heroin or cocaine.

YouTube - MADD - Mask
    YouTube - Papers commercial
    but seriously, these two make weed look AWESOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    A lot of the commercials I see here that are "anti-pot" make me want to do it more.

The reason they target it is because they have the misconception that it's the "gateway drug". Most teens at the very least try pot at some point during highschool. But it's not the drug itself that makes them crave harder stuff, that's a personality thing. What makes it a gateway is the experience one gets buying, or in some cases dealing pot. Fucking legalize it, and you cut off the experience and confidence those who would jump to harder stuff eventually. No one starts on heroin or cocaine.

YouTube - MADD - Mask
    YouTube - Papers commercial
    but seriously, these two make weed look AWESOME.
    If you're talking about "addictive personalities" or other re-warmed pop-culture bullshit, that's just not true.

If you're doing something else here, that's different. Possibly.