Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving out.

Default Moving out.

I need some help with a list of things I will need when Ii move out.

You need to compile a list of everything you use now and get at least 1 or 2 of each for basic living.

Then after you move in you need to expand your inventory and start buying mutiples of everything you use now.

What I did was I went room by room.

Living room: stuff to sit on, stuff to do (television, game, etc.), vacuum.

Kitchen: stuff to eat on, stuff to eat with, stuff to drink, stuff to drink from, stuff to clean the eating and drinking stuff, stuff to clean the kitchen.

Dining room: a place to put the stuff to eat on, stuff to eat with, and stuff to drink from.

Bathroom: hygiene stuff, t.p., stuff to clean with.

Bedroom: bed, clothes, stuff to hang clothes on, places to put folded clothes if closet space isn't sufficient. Diapers. <.<

Do I win the award for the most pronouns in one post yet?

Toilet paper.

And waterproof trash-cans.

The rest can wait or be bought piecemeal.

Oh, and tea and a tea cup.

I remember when I moved out. The stereo was a must. Then came bedding, towels, face clothes, etc., kitchen stuff, like a microwave, plates, knives, forks, spoons, pots and pans. Oh the list goes on and on. You can get cheap furniture like lawn furniture. Go to Salvation Army places for other furniture. It can be fun. The bed and mattress can be expensive.

I remember when I was in school they had a great printed list for us in Home Economics class of things that you typically need in a new place. This is the same kind of list, although it's overkill since they want you to buy stuff. I still think it's handy to have something to reference while you're planning, buying, or digging through dumpsters. Definitely hit the thrift stores. A used ladle is every bit as good as a new one. Not so much with regard to tooth brushes.

Condoms, bandaids, handcuffs, blind fold, shovel, flashlight, rope, canvas bag... wait, what are we preparing for?

having to buy a new dish drainer is the worst insult of all. i hate moving. >.<

Just be prepared to have to get a lot of things that you didn't expect. Every time I've moved, I've always had to buy a bunch of miscellaneous things that you wouldn't think about. Things like kitchen utensils, various furnishings. Also, don't forget things like towels, window dressings, vacuum cleaner/broom/mop & bucket. Heck, my most recent place had no light fixtures aside from the kitchen, hall and bathrooms, so I needed to buy a few lamps. You might need this too. You might also need to bring your own air conditioners unless it has central air or you really like it hot.

Oh, and unless you're moving into a college dorm, you might want to ensure that you have at least internet (so you can keep in touch with everyone here) and possibly cable if you like that, so you'll need to schedule an installation. You'll also want to have at least a basic set of tools

I will say this, moving, especially moving out on your own for the first time can be a bit pricey when you find all the things you really need. I would say, if you are super-duper thrifty, and find bargains and whatnot, be prepared to spend about $500 on incidentals.

Oh, and don't forget a sponge and dish detergent.