Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christianity in Republican doctrine

aielen

Default Christianity in Republican doctrine

Should Republicans in the US continue to use Christianity as a factor/base in their political quest?

Well, before the Republicans started courting Christians in the late 70s, the accepted practice amongst Baptist was to separate politics from religion. They took that whole "render unto Caesar" thing quite seriously, they often refused to even vote. Before that happened, the Republicans were focused more on keeping the government out of your wallet and your bedroom. In fact, that was the campaign slogan for one of the people running against Bush Sr in the Republican primaries. He got booed off the stage, whereas 10 years earlier, he likely would have received the nomination.

Trying to fuse politics and religion has created a monster - the current American right wing. The only thing conservative about the Republican party today is its social stance, which would be better described as "regressive". The Republicans support huge expenditures (see: Iraq, Afghanistan) and increasing the size and power of the government (Department of Homeland Security, PATRIOT act). The problem is, their monster is turning against them. The army of Christian lockstep followers who think anything even slightly to the left of them is pinko commie hippie liberal territory have been causing a push to the extreme right. At the end of his term as president, the American right wing didn't even like W because he was "too liberal". Pandering to the Moral Majority crowd is morphing the Republicans in to what Sinclair Lewis predicted:

“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
    The only way to regain power is to go along with the ever-increasing levels of crazy, and that is not a good way to run a government. If they stopped putting up candidates like Palin (who thought every softball question from Katie freaking Couric was a gotcha), distanced themselves from Limbaugh and the Fox News crowd and started putting forward ideas for how to fix some of the current problems (2 land wars in Asia, medical insurance crisis, economic collapse) while being fiscally responsible (starting 2 land wars in Asia and cutting taxes? seriously?), then maybe they could get back some of the respect they've lost with the moderate centrists.

Since it serves to unravel and make fools of both, I'm all for it.

I believe in separation of Church and State, thus, it bothers me greatly that Republicans make such a big deal about integrating their particular interpretation of Christian viewpoints into the way they legislate morality and in the way they view everyone else in the world. Examples of this skewing off the top of my head from the Bush Jr. years:

-DOMA
    -UIGEA
    -DOMA
    -Calling the Iraq war a "crusade"; military reports from Rumsfeld with Bible quotes on the covers; the neo-con view of international relations wherein freedom basically emanates from the US
    -DOMA
    -Politically motivated use of science spending
    -DOMA

The Republicans are not going to abandon their base - that isn't politically realistic. However, they're going to find out pretty quickly over the next few decades that polling data shows increasingly liberal attitudes, rather than the views which support Karl Rove's vision of a "permanent Republican majority".

As history shows us, when you have two competing cultural forces, they generally tend to hybridize in some way. I think you'll see over the next 2-3 decades that the Republicans will find a middle ground between their very religiously-dominated views and the more liberal leanings of future generations.

No. God is not a Republican.

Or a Democrat, for that matter.
    Last edited by Kovy; 30-Aug-2009 at 21:13.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    I believe in separation of Church and State, thus, it bothers me greatly that Republicans make such a big deal about integrating their particular interpretation of Christian viewpoints into the way they legislate morality and in the way they view everyone else in the world. Examples of this skewing off the top of my head from the Bush Jr. years:

-DOMA...
    Actually, I think The Defense of Marriage Act was Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimpy View Post
    Yes it was. But in his defense, Christian moralists were pumping for something far worse: an amendment to the U.S. constitution limiting marriage to male and female. Clinton signed the act to take wind out of those sails.

To his great credit, Clinton has recently stated publicly and without equivocation how genuinely he regrets DOMA (and Don't Ask, Don't Tell).

Within the context, I think his actions were PROBABLY the right thing.

Mako

The army of Christian lockstep followers who think anything even slightly to the left of them is pinko commie hippie liberal territory have been causing a push to the extreme right.
    The irony is, Jesus was anti-capitalist, anti-war, and occasionally kissed his male disciples. Jesus was the original pink commie queer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimpy View Post
    The republicans had a VETO proof majority.
    Clinton answering for DADT and DOMA

Quote Originally Posted by kees View Post
    Yes it was. But in his defense, Christian moralists were pumping for something far worse: an amendment to the U.S. constitution limiting marriage to male and female. Clinton signed the act to take wind out of those sails.

To his great credit, Clinton has recently stated publicly and without equivocation how genuinely he regrets DOMA (and Don't Ask, Don't Tell).

Within the context, I think his actions were PROBABLY the right thing.

I tend to agree. DOMA is still unconstitutional though, no matter how you slice it. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    The republicans had a VETO proof majority.
    Clinton answering for DADT and DOMA
    I know. I'm not blaming Clinton for it. I blame the wave of American Conservativism pressuring him into it. But Nutfreefruitcake said that it was W. Bush and I merely wanted to correct it. <.<
    Last edited by Trevor; 31-Aug-2009 at 03:57. Reason: merging posts

While there is not much in the Republican platform of which I approve, those portions that are derived from actual Christianity are not really objectionable. However, it is the selective readings of Christian scripture that trouble me. However, despite that the proponents of such readings are the loudest and get the most coverage, they are only a small portion of the Republican party. And Christianity and politics is not solely the province of the Republicans.

I don't want anyone's religion working its way into politics overtly. That is, I don't want their god or their dogma in public policy (ie, school prayer or deference to religious authorities).

However, a person's beliefs, political or otherwise, arise from any number of sources. If someone's position on abortion is informed by their religion, that's ok. In this instance it may be a semantic distinction, but if someone wants Roe overturned because it's immoral, I'm ok with that. If they think it's immoral because of the gospels, I'm ok with that too. But if they want Roe overturned because their god says abortion is wrong, that I have a problem with. Their god doesn't get to determine our policies. Their morality does,regardless of how it's informed. Translation: the law and the gospel can coincide, but the gospel doesn't get to be law just because it's gospel.