Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Differently Oriented Youth Camp

Default Differently Oriented Youth Camp

Sexual-minority youth find safe space at camp

For the first time, Camp fYrefly, Canada's only leadership retreat for sexual-minority youth, is putting down roots in Saskatoon.

Founded in Edmonton five years ago, the camp aims to empower lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans-identified, two-spirited, intersexed, queer, questioning and allied youth to develop their own 'fYrefly fuel' to keep their inner light shining in dark times.
    - - - CAMP FYREFLY - - -

So what do you guys think? And no, I'm not having you on, this is for real, google camp+trans+sexual+fyrefly yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    Sexual-minority youth find safe space at camp

For the first time, Camp fYrefly, Canada's only leadership retreat for sexual-minority youth, is putting down roots in Saskatoon.

- - - CAMP FYREFLY - - -

So what do you guys think? And no, I'm not having you on, this is for real, google camp+trans+sexual+fyrefly yourself...
    I'm not sure I know what all those labels mean, but what I am sure of is that I'd prefer to go (and send my child to) a camp with this kind of natural introspection and self-discovery.

For that matter, I'm not sure I know what "sexual minority youth" are. When I was a youth, I felt in the sexual minority, because I didn't engage in it (and turned it down--STUPID!) until after high school.

Finally ... how exactly do the camp counselors and personnel ensure that everyone there IS a member of this group? Or that they don't re-orient half-way through? Or if they DO re-orient (because they're children, and it's a fluid time for things like this) what do they do with the child(ren)?

I am sure I don't know how they screen the staff... maybe a rep system? I too was bemused by some of the labels I had not seen before... Still... the concept is interesting, and one wonders how the thing will turn out... I guess they might simply hire asexuals?

Two-spirited? Would that include furry? Or was it a misprint of too-spirited? The mind boggles.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Finally ... how exactly do the camp counselors and personnel ensure that everyone there IS a member of this group? Or that they don't re-orient half-way through? Or if they DO re-orient (because they're children, and it's a fluid time for things like this) what do they do with the child(ren)?
    I'm sure that not all the counselors and staff have to be of a sexual minority. They may just want to help young children by showing them that heterosexual people don't care that they're gay, therefore making them feel more at ease, not just around other people within sexual minorities groups.

As for the kids... my best guess would be that if someone chooses to go to that camp, chances are, they are in a sexual minority, as (I think) a heterosexual person wouldn't often want to tell their friends that they are going to a camp specifically for those who aren't heterosexual.

If they do change midway through the process between any 2 sexual orientations be it from Homosexual to bisexual or vise versa or even become straight (which is possible, but VERY rare) then I'm sure they are still welcomed, as they would turn into people would disrespect people of minorities, as they know how they once felt, and don't want anyone else to be scared?

at least that's how I would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    Emphasis mine.

That's not gonna be easy. When Canada adopted nation-wide gay marriage rights, Saskatchewan (where Saskatoon is located) was the only province to have Marriage Commissioners (the government employees who are authorized to grant marriage licenses) argue that their religious beliefs were being infringed by having to grant marriage licenses to gay couples. They're not exactly Ozark mountain people in Saskatchewan, but they can come pretty close. The really stupid part? Saskatchewan had provincial gay marriage rights for at least 6 months before the national law was passed and nobody cared.

I bet this sort of thing attracts pedo-bears like bees to honey. They would have to be very choosy with their staff.

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post

That's not gonna be easy. When Canada adopted nation-wide gay marriage rights, Saskatchewan (where Saskatoon is located) was the only province to have Marriage Commissioners (the government employees who are authorized to grant marriage licenses) argue that their religious beliefs were being infringed by having to grant marriage licenses to gay couples.
    To be fair, that sort of question was brought up all around the country, which is why the Government of Canada made sure that the law enacting same-sex marriage explicitly stated it did not infringe upon the rights of religious groups.

And Alberta would be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjeff View Post
    I bet this sort of thing attracts pedo-bears like bees to honey. They would have to be very choosy with their staff.
    No more than a different overnight camp. But you typically don't get staff older than 25 years at any camp, so it's not a huge issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabesissybaby92 View Post
    I'm sure that not all the counselors and staff have to be of a sexual minority. They may just want to help young children by showing them that heterosexual people don't care that they're gay, therefore making them feel more at ease, not just around other people within sexual minorities groups.
    I think it's a great idea for a camp, and could really change some lives. I wish they'd open more across the country and give more LGBT youth a real sense of self-worth and value.

Mako

Question I have is, how do they arrange the cabins? I mean they seperate girls and boys to prevent naughty things but if they're gay... well... how do you work that one out?

I think this is a pretty awesome idea. If I had a kid who was questioning some things, I'd send him/her to this kind of a camp.

I wouldn't want to know about the orgies, but I'd feel good my kid was a part of them. lol

Because...that's really all this is going to break down into. When you bring together a bunch of kids who play instruments there's gonna be fucking. God only knows what happens when you bring kids with the same sexual interests.