Thread: Shuttle launch at 1:36am

Default Shuttle launch at 1:36am

For those interested, there is a shuttle launch at 1:36am EST.

There is a possibility it will not launch due to weather, but they say it looks like it will launch

If anyone is up and can watch it go to:

NASA - NASA TV

NASA TV has better coverage. No anchors talking, and they stay with it. Also, they have footage of the launch from different angles. (one of the coolest being from a camera mounted on the SRBs - Solid Rocket Boosters )

<-- Big space geek here

just my luck.. i post a new thread and they give a NoGo for weather

launch scrubbed for 24 hours. POOP!

For those interested.. its scheduled now for Wed 1:10am EST

Mission: STS-128
    Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Discovery
    Launch Date: Aug. 28 +
    Launch Time: 12:22 a.m. EDT
    Landing Date: Sept. 9

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    They sure have no end of troubles.
    Yes. What they do is hard. And this is the difference between tinkering and raw, massive, terrifying expertise.

Some things they can control; some things they can somewhat control (parts shopped out to contractors, subs, and others); some things (weather) are totally outside the envelope of control.

If the craft were unmanned, cheap, and expendable, they'd launch as you would an ICBM--day, night, poor weather, good weather: it's all the same. However, this craft is manned, horrifically expensive, non-expendable, and doing something that pushes the envelope in the best of conditions.

And this from craft designed 2 generations ago.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Though maybe the shuttle was just design-flawed from the start. It's been pretty cool, but I guess it's good that it's finally being scrapped soon. Even if we won't have our own manned space vehicle for a few years...

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Though maybe the shuttle was just design-flawed from the start. It's been pretty cool, but I guess it's good that it's finally being scrapped soon. Even if we won't have our own manned space vehicle for a few years...
    of course it was flawed from the start. first of all there have been two tragedies with the shuttle program. secondly, there have been huge cost over runs. it was supposed to be a hell of a lot cheaper, $100 per LB of cargo per trip. it ended up being $10,000 per LB of cargo per trip. but until they finish the new vehicle for space missions we are going to continue using this one. because we sure as hell aren't going to rely on the damned Russians for to maintain the ISS.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    of course it was flawed from the start. first of all there have been two tragedies with the shuttle program. secondly, there have been huge cost over runs. it was supposed to be a hell of a lot cheaper, $100 per LB of cargo per trip. it ended up being $10,000 per LB of cargo per trip. but until they finish the new vehicle for space missions we are going to continue using this one. because we sure as hell aren't going to rely on the damned Russians for to maintain the ISS.
    Any large project is obsolete from the moment of its as-built birthday.

Add to that dozens of meetings (probably) agonizing over thread-pitch on screws and bolts, and it's a miracle it got built at all.

I take my hat off to the folks who did--and do--this whole space-thing, and can appreciate only a sliver of the bureaucracy they must face.