Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to stop Binge Eating

curiousitykitten

Default How to stop Binge Eating

(To my knowledge) None of the people on this forum are health professionals. So none of the advise given here is professional advise. Be very careful with the advise given here.

Now, I really really don't want to come across as whiney, but I'm having problems I am unable to resolve myself. Sure, this may sound whiney and I know for a fact there are worse issues in the world.

I switched from throwing up purging to excersise purging. It is getting out of control. My day starts with breakfeast, then a junkie snack...a binge. Then i workout like mad...eat lunch workout dinner... feel guilty. I run 4-6 miles a day. My day has been revolving around working out. I don't workout untill after I feel guilty which is around midmorning. Untill that happens I am unable to get on with my day because I am guilty.

My binges consist of more than two servings of junk usually after a meal. It is extrememly impulsive and I usually find myself simply wandering to the kitchen in a spaced out like state. Sometimes I can stop it somethimes i can't. I am afraid to tell anyone i know in real life about this because it makes me feel like i've lost all will power and control. I used to be anorexic...which is horrible, but at this point I am wishing i had that kind of control back.

I have tried all the tricks in the book to stop my binging. I have gone on a healthy balanced diet...gone back on a meal plan givin to me by rehab, stopped working out and purging to leave me no choice but to abstain (ha how stupid).

Part of the reason I have been binging is im so exhausted. I keep eating becaus i keep feeling hungry...eating is the only thing that makes me not tired. I keep sleeping average...about 12 to 8 or 9 am. I truely don't know what to do anymore. I keep gaining weight...i am now 120 lbs. I was 115 at the begenning of summer.

This is making me really upset. My weight has been yoyoing due to crash diets and deppression and working out. This isnt a way to live...I am so preoccupied and its just embarassing at this point. I have seen professional help and itsjust not working. I don't know how i got myself into this...

For a few months now I have been getting dangerous thoughts; thoughts of using ipepac,diet pills, you name it. I haven't yet though so please don't worry. After all this is why this is a thread and not a blog. I really need the advice to stop binging. If i stop binging I know I will be okay. Thank you for your concern and even reading this.

-sigh-
    Last edited by Martin; 23-Aug-2009 at 20:35. Reason: adding notice

I'm not trying to come across sounding cruel or unpleasant, CK, but you need to seek better help than this forum.

We are not doctors, don't intend to be, and cannot speak in their stead to offer you ways to dissolve your issues. You need to seek a medical professional's advice before you do great damage to your body with these self-destructive decisions. If it didn't work before, then you need to try again -- once is not enough. There are plenty of directions to go in for this.

This is not the place to discuss these things. One wrong piece of advice from people who have no fucking clue how to assist you with this problem could turn deadly.

Speak to a doctor. Don't know how? Talk to a counselor at your school or speak to your parents like an adult about your issue and seek their guidance. Barring hitting roadblocks with those, there are certainly resources that a local hospital could point you towards with a single phone call.

You need to find something low in calories if you just want to keep stuffing your face, other than that you can eat but eat healthy.

I only eat certian things and I only eat so much and stop, once you get a routene you can stop binging and purging, the best way I have forund to stop the hungrys is to drink diet cola it gives you a sense fo fullness.

I choose to drink Diet Rite Cola, no caloires no salt no sugar no caffeene, if you want to stick something in your face try rice cakes, it is like eating stryofoam but no calories to speak of.

Good Luck

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    I'm not trying to come across sounding cruel or unpleasant, CK, but you need to seek better help than this forum.

We are not doctors, don't intend to be, and cannot speak in their stead to offer you ways to dissolve your issues. You need to seek a medical professional's advice before you do great damage to your body with these self-destructive decisions. If it didn't work before, then you need to try again -- once is not enough. There are plenty of directions to go in for this.

This is not the place to discuss these things. One wrong piece of advice from people who have no fucking clue how to assist you with this problem could turn deadly.

Speak to a doctor. Don't know how? Talk to a counselor at your school or speak to your parents like an adult about your issue and seek their guidance. Barring hitting roadblocks with those, there are certainly resources that a local hospital could point you towards with a single phone call.
    ^ This. You need professional help, something none of us can offer. We can't give you self control and discipline, it's something you have to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post

I see the actions here as triage until professional intervention takes place. It's a support site, but there really is no substitute for in-person contact with someone specifically trained to help YOU, OP. Curiositykitten, I would second Dawes here with the urge to seek such intervention. Of course, we both can appreciate the next bit of advice: your goal should be to eat nutrient-dense foods wherever possible. Junk food, though tasty, does not fall into this category.

I think it may be useful to determine if this is a stress/boredom response, a desire for tactile and oral stimulation, or a thirst drive in hiding.

Each of these can result in very different outcomes that you may take to avoid snacking. One thing that may help you immediately is to suck on sugar-free candy and/or lollipops. This will give you something to do and provide tactile stimulation.

Mid- and long-term, however, would best be served by you seeking out whatever resources available to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    You need to find something low in calories if you just want to keep stuffing your face, other than that you can eat but eat healthy.

I only eat certian things and I only eat so much and stop, once you get a routene you can stop binging and purging, the best way I have forund to stop the hungrys is to drink diet cola it gives you a sense fo fullness.

I choose to drink Diet Rite Cola, no caloires no salt no sugar no caffeene, if you want to stick something in your face try rice cakes, it is like eating stryofoam but no calories to speak of.

Good Luck
    The problem with rice cakes is that this could spike blood sugar. A better approach would be (as you point out) to drink liquids--diet soft drinks are okay, but weak iced tea or water would be better.

Funny that you mention routine here, too--people with healthy body weights tend to eat the same things routinely and establish and maintain a regular eating routine.

(To my knowledge) None of the people on this forum are health professionals. So none of the advise given here is professional advise. Be very careful with the advise given here.

curiousitykitten

For all the people afraid I will do someting dangerous with advice:

I know you are not medical professionals. This is a simple matter of me eating to much. I will not die. Everyone relax...I know this kind of "we are not responcible" stuff is to save your butts. I understand that. I just wanted some pointers if there were any. I know there are other people on this site who have overcome these problems.

For the record I do have a doctor and a therapist. I have gone to the hospital twice for anorexia. I really want to help this myself. I can't tell my mom because she thinks I'm all better. She is already angry at me for draging it ouot enough to go to rehab a second time. This is something I really am not proud of. I know I cant tell my mom. I will however tell my therapist next time I see her (i share her with my btoerh who has ashpergers...he needs it more...i see her about once a month).

I repeat. This is something I can take care of. I have a medical professional who I will inform. Even if i did try to get...help help again. I dont have the time or the resourses. Insurance wont pay unless I am getting phycically ill from my behavior.

Thanks for the concern

Quote Originally Posted by curiousitykitten View Post
    For all the people afraid I will do someting dangerous with advice:

I know you are not medical professionals. This is a simple matter of me eating to much. I will not die. Everyone relax...I know this kind of "we are not responcible" stuff is to save your butts. I understand that.
    No, the site-wide disclaimer does that. These are opinions given outside of a clinical setting. *shrug*

Speaking for myself, I would be far more concerned with giving advice that actually harmed someone than advice that could land me in a civil suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Health professional or not, this is not a clinical setting, nor is there any anticipation or expectation of medical advice being rendered.

NOW I see where curiositykitten's previous post came from--it was a response to the huge purple text.

Mako

It's to protect you, not ourselves. Advice given can make things worse for you.

Only advice I can offer is to learn some discipline and stop doing things out of guilt. Your mind set itself is unhealthy, and that spills over to your habits and routine.