Thread: Pawn Shops?

Default Pawn Shops?

Hey quick question...do you have to be 18 to SELL an item at a pawn shop?

Short answer: yes. Long answer: Yesssss. Umm, seriously though, yes, you have to be 18 and you have to have ID, I think they write down your info too, in case the stuff you pawn turns out be "hot".

Quote Originally Posted by matrixroks354 View Post
    Short answer: yes. Long answer: Yesssss. Umm, seriously though, yes, you have to be 18 and you have to have ID, I think they write down your info too, in case the stuff you pawn turns out be "hot".
    Quoted because it's true.

I'd suggest not selling to pawn shops. Most of them deal in shady business and accept shadier business. Go the new-age route and hit up Ebay or Craigslist -- you'll likely get more of the value of the object. In a pawn shop, you're selling as a consumer to a company, and then the company back to a consumer. That means they're going to part with as little capital as possible when buying it from you and then make as much of it as possible when reselling it.

Cut out the pawn shop -- get a better return on what you're selling. What is it that you're selling?

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    I'd suggest not selling to pawn shops. Most of them deal in shady business and accept shadier business. Go the new-age route and hit up Ebay or Craigslist -- you'll likely get more of the value of the object. In a pawn shop, you're selling as a consumer to a company, and then the company back to a consumer. That means they're going to part with as little capital as possible when buying it from you and then make as much of it as possible when reselling it.

Cut out the pawn shop -- get a better return on what you're selling. What is it that you're selling?

Yup. Private selling will net you more cash. Plus you're doing a direct-to-buyer transaction, so they can inspect the goods more thoroughly and you can provide them with information upon request about the item. That'd incline them to actually buy it then and there.

a Sharp Stereo is what i am selling. i thought of a pawn shop, b/c the stereo is not going for much on ebay and would cost oodles to ship.

craigslist it and sell it to a local , its cheaper cause of no shipping. But only works if you are in a place with a good amount of people.

A pawn shop will give you about a 1/4 of it's worth, they hold the item for a set period of time, if you don't come back in that set time they move you stuff and get what they can for it usually lot more than they gave you for the item.

Sell it outright, or sell it to a freind with the idea of buying back the item at the price that is set for the loan.

They have to give you a low price because they can only sell at less than retail prices along with making a profit.