Thread: Dream logic.

Default Dream logic.

--Part 1--
    So, I had a dream just lastnight wherein there was some sort of trivia contest... anyway, to save from confusion let's just say I ended up in a room with a pile of stuffed animals at the center, and I was in a stretcher with nothing attached to me (and a robotic drone similar to Bao-Dur's "remote"). What do I do?

1) stay there and observe
    2) Daring Escape!

Turns out at the time my dreamself was some sort of spastic (and I knew it, I always know what's up with my dream personalities) and could only go a couple feet. So I dive undernea the plushie pile. (I would like to note that for whatever reason my mind was notably devoid of any tb sentiment at the time and was only thinking of a daring escape back to the trivia contest)

I must have done it just to do something. I mean, have any of you ever had a dream where you just sit around and do nothing?
    --part 2--
    Also earlier I tried to eat and had to take out my retainer. It stayed in (obviously) and I spent about a minute taking it out again. With appropriate retainer-clones resting on the same paper towel. I *wish* I was still interested in lucid dreaming -- the thought "oh, right, this is a dream, I can't take my retainer out" more-than crossed my mind. But then I decided not to do anything about it. :P
    ---part 3--
    Anyway, back to me under the stuffed animal pile. I watched as some nuns came in to...? I guess clean the room or something. Anyway, they whispered and gigggled and I slid further into the pile. And then I felt a sting on my left ankle, right ankle, left hand, left elbow... nook... thing... and right hand. And then I hear "we're testing a new anesthetic on her"

HOW did my mind allow this to happen? Granted, even when I 'felt' the needles my body went into the fight-or-flight HOLY FUCK I AM BEING NEEDLED reaction characteristic of... me... but still, you'd think the human body wouldn't actively dream (in anything but the most dedicated of nightmares) about something that scares the crap out of me IRL..
    (oh, btw I didn't wake up for some reason even when I thought I was being needled)

--The Wrap Up--
    Questions posed:
    1) Have you ever had a dream where you sit around and do nothing, or otherwise stay out of the plot of the dream?
    2) Any response to the possibility that last night's dream could have become lucid?
    3) WHY (T_T) would I dream about an object of my IRL phobia?

--P.S.--
    Lots of numbness last night. I must have been sleeping wrong because at one point I dropped my hand onto my face and only felt my hand from my face -- it was like my hand had no nerves :|

1.) I've had dreams where I will be a part of it, then something unpleasant happens and I sort of step aside, while another me takes part in what I was just doing, while I watch the other me do it.

2.)I would say no, since you knew that you were dreaming. My lucid dreams are so realistic that I cant tell they're fake until I wake up. One time, I dreamed that I was nine and I with my grandma at some arcade place... she got badly hurt and ended up going to the hospital for an operation to fix her broken leg, and I was there while it happened. The wierdest thing about that dream, is that the whole time I thought it was real. The events seemed so plausible and orderly... I was actually playing games I had never played before in my life, in a place I had never been in my life, and then my brain conjured up her getting hurt and going to a hospital that doesn't exist. I invented two whole places.

3.)I don't know... perhaps you saw something during the day that reminded you of your fear of needles and it came back to your subconscious while you were sleeping and integrated into your dream?

Quote Originally Posted by NoobSauce View Post
    --Part 1--
    (oh, btw I didn't wake up for some reason even when I thought I was being needled)

--The Wrap Up--
    Questions posed:
    1) Have you ever had a dream where you sit around and do nothing, or otherwise stay out of the plot of the dream?
    2) Any response to the possibility that last night's dream could have become lucid?
    3) WHY (T_T) would I dream about an object of my IRL phobia?
    1. very rarely I've had a dream of other people in which I'm purely observing. It should be noted however that I was not in the dream, and this situation is very different from being in the dream and doing nothing. That I've never had. I guess if you're not needed in the dream, your brain doesn't bother creating you in it.

2. If you realised you were dreaming, I believe it technically counts as lucid even if you didn't take advantage of it. I will check, but as far as I know, a lucid dream is defined as one in which you are concious that you are dreaming.

3. during the last few days you probably sub-consciously registered something to do with this phobia, then it appears in a dream like everything else. You might like to know that dreams (lucid in particular) can actually help people overcome their real life fears. By playing the situation over and over in a dream, and becoming accustomed to the fact it's not going to harm you, it gives you confidence in real life too. Dreams can be used as a very useful tool, one that many people aren't aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromos View Post
    2.)I would say no, since you knew that you were dreaming. My lucid dreams are so realistic that I cant tell they're fake until I wake up. One time, I dreamed that I was nine and I with my grandma at some arcade place... she got badly hurt and ended up going to the hospital for an operation to fix her broken leg, and I was there while it happened. The wierdest thing about that dream, is that the whole time I thought it was real. The events seemed so plausible and orderly... I was actually playing games I had never played before in my life, in a place I had never been in my life, and then my brain conjured up her getting hurt and going to a hospital that doesn't exist. I invented two whole places.
    You have got your lucid dream definition muddled. A dream is only lucid if you realise it's a dream, not because it is detailed and feels real. In fact if you think it is real the whole time, then it's certainly not lucid.
    I don't know about others, but the majority of my dreams at least, are ones where I feel real in a real situation (even if on inspection when I wake up some events would never happen IRL.)
    Again, speaking for myself here, unless I realise I'm dreaming, everything feels real - including things that your brain has just made up. I personally find it amazing what you can dream up at night, even if you're the most uncreative in the day.

Last night (about 5 hours ago) I had a dream that I was watching the news and they said Michael Phelps died.

Must be all these deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandWanderer View Post
    You have got your lucid dream definition muddled. A dream is only lucid if you realise it's a dream, not because it is detailed and feels real. In fact if you think it is real the whole time, then it's certainly not lucid.
    Seems so, I just Wiki'd it... apparently there are several different types... I was getting my definition mixed with something else, I guess.

Y'know, come to think of it, about 1 week ago (possibly to the day, but I'm not sure) I had an eye operation and they needed to put in an IV... That's probably what triggered the needle happening in my dream, although I dunno why it would happen a week after the operation.

Fun fact: while I'm about to fall asleep, I get into this half-lucid-dream state where I can change my dream... but then it glitches up and I get stuck in an infinite loop lasting about 3-4 seconds for each pass. Or I can't stop turning left, or spinning counterclockwise, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobSauce View Post
    Fun fact: while I'm about to fall asleep, I get into this half-lucid-dream state where I can change my dream... but then it glitches up and I get stuck in an infinite loop lasting about 3-4 seconds for each pass. Or I can't stop turning left, or spinning counterclockwise, etc.
    Heh, yeah, that happens a lot to me too. I'll be having a lucid or semi-lucid dream, but my mind doesn't want to cooperate for some reason, so i end up doing the opposite of what UI want to do (i.e. turning left instead of right). To break out of this, I just blink a whole lot really fast untill it goes away. Blinking can help with anything in dreams for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobSauce

Hey, I get this too :P.

I had to wiki lucid dreams aswell, and it seems most of my dreams I remember are lucid. So, presumably I either don't remember the others, or I'm just plain weird.

This is... weird. I'm having a very distinct -- but unidentifiable -- feeling attached to that dream. It might just be the TB overtones looking back at it, but... I dunno, remembering it comes with a feeling of...? Something. Something slightly positive. Any idea what that might be?