Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas schools REQUIRED to teach bible

Default Texas schools REQUIRED to teach bible

Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year - KLTV 7 News Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |

WHITEHOUSE, TX (KLTV) - The school year is almost here, and if literature of the Bible is not already offered in your child's school, it will be this fall.
    Books are a common sight in classrooms around the nation, but the Bible is one book that is not. Come this fall, a Texas law says all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum.
    "By the end of the year, what they begin to realize is that it is pervasive. You can't get away from it. The kids came back and were like 'It's everywhere,'" said John Keeling, the social studies chair at Whitehouse High School. Whitehouse already offers a Bible elective. "The purpose of a course like this isn't even really to get kids to believe it per say. It is just to appreciate the profound impact that it has had on our history and on our government," said Keeling.
    The law actually passed in 2007, but this will be the first school year it is enforced because the bill says, "The provisions of this act pertaining to a school district do not take effect until the 2009-2010 school year."
    This has gained mixed reactions from East Texans. "I think it is a good thing because a lot of kids don't have that experience, and they already want to take prayer out of school as it is-- and you see where our kids are ending up!" said Tyler resident Laura Tucker.
    Tyler resident Havis Tatum disagress with Tucker. He said, "I don't want anybody teaching their religious beliefs to my child unless they want to send their child to my house and let me teach them my religious views. There is no difference."
    School officials tell us schools haven't enforced this law because of confusion over the bill's wording and lack of state funding.
    For now, each school district must find a way to fill the requirement before the seats are filled with students.

What does everyone think of this?

I really don't know how i feel about this. I can see that the bible is a piece of literature that could be studied for intellectual value. Then again I'm a bit leary about law requiring it be studied since it is a religious document.

Darkfinn

So much for freedom of religion. Isn't Texas where they have all those crazy cults anyways?

BWAHAHAHAHA.

Man, I love how they keep making these retarded laws.

And goddamn it's hard to read in that shade of blue.

Well if its an ellective and you can choose to take it. And you want to take it then power to you. And if you don't want to take it then don't. But they can't press a belief on anybody.

While I do think our system of laws could be simplified by several orders of magnitude (1000 pages on health care, a similar size stimulus bill?) ala the 10 Commandments, this can't and won't withstand court challenge.

Darkfinn

Honestly, it may be hard to fault them as long as they don't teach the bible as god's honest truth. It is a good story, and can teach us a lot about history... you just need to treat it like you do Greek myths... take everything with a grain of salt.

This makes me sick. I don't know why they would pass such a thing. I remeber when I was going into my junior or senior year of HS and there was talk of taking way holidays we had for years because someone got pissed that they couldn't get Good Friday off or someitng.

Easy way to get rid of this: Well if your going to give them the option to learn about the bible why not give them the option to study the Ko ran or the Jewish Tora or the Wiccan beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    Honestly, it may be hard to fault them as long as they don't teach the bible as god's honest truth. It is a good story, and can teach us a lot about history... you just need to treat it like you do Greek myths... take everything with a grain of salt.
    Yeah, but you know if some one tried to get the Qur’an taught in school the whole state would probably raise holy hell.

Darkfinn

absolutely... unfortunately this country was founded on Christian principles... as flawed as they may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    absolutely... unfortunately this country was founded on Christian principles... as flawed as they may be.