Thread: Ridiculous pricing?

Default Ridiculous pricing?

I've noticed some shops are rather em... odd in their pricing. I was in HMV yesterday and noticed the dvds of the Pirates of the Carribean trilogy for €17 (down from €30) in a boxset, or €30 each.

Other things I've seen are games priced higher pre-owned than new. I bought the Orange Box for 360 new for €20. The same shop was selling it pre-owned for €30. (btw, anyone thinking of getting it, do yourself a favour and buy the PC version).

Anyone noticed any other examples of ridiculous pricing in shops?

I've seen 3 each or three for 10 before. Guess you should buy two then queue again and buy one.

Peachy

500ml bottle of coke: 0.89 Euros
    1l bottle of coke: 0.81 Euros.

In Sheffield at Burger King:
    Double cheeseburger: 3.19 GBP
    Double Cheeseburger King Deal (small fries and coke with the burger): 2.99 GBP

Peachy

At McDonalds, the drink prices went like this

Small: $0.98
    Medium: $1.24
    Large: $1.87
    Ex-Large: $0.62

Needless to say, everybody bought Extra Larges.

At our local chain convenience store, Stewarts, a 20 oz coke is $1.09, but a 2 liter bottle is $0.99. Still, plenty of people get the 20 ouncer's simply because you can drink them in the car and they fit in the cupholder.

Yes; the local movie theatre. Went on a date there this evening. Altogether, with tickets, food, drinks, and bus fare... $500.

...Okay, we also bought some drugs. But still! Expensive.

EmeraldsAndLime

More often than not, I find DVDs are priced like that because the more expensive editions come with more features on it. I purchased a boxset (4 movies) for about $60, but the separate DVDs themselves were $10 each for the basic version (just the movie and menu screen), or $29 for the special editions.

On a personal note, I work within the retail industry and have seen some absolutely mind-boggling "specials". One place I worked at offered a saving of -$0.22 on an item... meaning the special price was 22c more than the regular price.

Falkio

I actually came across a "sale" once on a Kaffiyeh for paintball. The only problem, was that the savings quote was -$2.21. It literally said that right on the page. Not much of a sale! Still got a kick out of it though.

Sale fail, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    500ml bottle of coke: 0.89 Euros
    1l bottle of coke: 0.81 Euros.

In Sheffield at Burger King:
    Double cheeseburger: 3.19 GBP
    Double Cheeseburger King Deal (small fries and coke with the burger): 2.99 GBP

Peachy
    This reminded me of something in a French supermarket. If you went to the section next to the entrance, it was 0.5l of water for 20 cents. If you were to venture to the other side of the store, you found 1.5l of water for 18 cents (it was the same brand of water)

I guess the idea is to scrounge money off tourists who wanted something quickly.