Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Autism and diapers...?

Question Autism and diapers...?

(This thread is for a discussion of the connections between autism and *B/DL-ness.)
    I'll start off. I have HFA/Asperger Syndrome, and am a DL (and possibly a tb, don't know yet.) I met someone on the flashchat who has autism (not sure if he also has asperger's, I didn't ask.). This has made me think: Is there a connection between autism and diaper-related fetishes? (That was a grammatical train wreck, I know. My keyboard seems uncooperative today... Please don't be offended, I'm positive I used all the wrong words here. ...I tend to give up on spell-checking myself when I can't get my keyboard to work.)

Back when I used to have a shrink she said she thought I might have Asperger's Syndrome, but she wasn't too sure so I should go see a doctor about it. I never got round to it, so I still don't know.

I think it's possible there couild be some connection between autism and *BDLness. Of course, not everyone with autism is a *B, and not every *B has autism, but there might be some corelation between them. I have seen quite a few people around here with Asperger's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack26 View Post
    Back when I used to have a shrink she said she thought I might have Asperger's Syndrome, but she wasn't too sure so I should go see a doctor about it. I never got round to it, so I still don't know.
    My advice is, unless you need help don't bother getting it diagnosed. It might be a pain in the future that you have been labelled with Autism.

I am not too sure on whether too not there is a correlation between TBDLism and Aspergers/HFA/Autism. Or whether it is just that there is a correlation between geekyness and Aspergers. Because a majority of the site members here are a bit geeky in one way or another. So we may ave to look else where of evidence to find a better conclusion.

Darkfinn

haven't ever heard of a connection... may be a coincidence.

I've met 4 or 5 people, both female and male with Asperger's who are also ABDL. I can see a link between the two.

The only person I know (IRL) with Aspergers is not (to my knowledge) ABDL.

I can't speak to the number of people who 'claim' to be ABDL with Aspergers, as I don't know any of them in real life and I don't know how valid their claims may/may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by UnMarth View Post
    My advice is, unless you need help don't bother getting it diagnosed. It might be a pain in the future that you have been labeled with Autism.

I am not too sure on whether too not there is a correlation between TBDLism and Aspergers/HFA/Autism. Or whether it is just that there is a correlation between geekyness and Aspergers. Because a majority of the site members here are a bit geeky in one way or another. So we may ave to look else where of evidence to find a better conclusion.
    Both are good points.

The prevalence of Asperger's among AB/DLs has been discussed on other forums, such as aby.com . However, as UnMarth points out, it might be due to other factors, such as geekyness.

Asperger's is addressed briefly in the Diapers and More survey, but we don't have any data yet. (The survey just went up this morning.)

There do seem to be a lot of *B/DLs with a disorder on the autism spectrum, including asberger's, but without doing a formal study it's hard to say whether there are more than in the general population, or whether there's a connection between the two. Autism is being diagnosed more and more nowadays; 20-30 years ago, hardly anyone had heard of it.

I dunno. I know autism symptoms have to show up by the time a kid is 2 or 3 for diagnosis, but when I worked in public schools, it seemed like every socially awkward kid had some form of autism. Kids can't just be socially awkward or slow anymore, they have to have some kind of disability so regular teachers can put them off on a special ed teacher and avoid having to teach to more than one learning style.

Monkey

By no means am I accusing anyone here, just a general statement but from what I've seen on other forums that have asked the same question, most people who claim to have autism / aspergers are self-diagnosed, either for attention or just mistaken, tends to be the stereotypical 'geeks' who prefer to blame their social awkwardness on a brain disorder rather than for just being plain odd.

As for me I've never been diagnosed with autism, nor do I think I show any of the traits.
    Last edited by Monkey; 17-Mar-2008 at 09:19.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    By no means am I accusing anyone here, just a general statement but from what I've seen on other forums that have asked the same question, perhaps most people who claim to have autism / aspergers are self-diagnosed, either for attention or just mistaken, tends to be the stereotypical 'geeks' who prefer to blame their social awkwardness on a brain disorder rather than for just being plain odd.

As for me I've never been diagnosed with autism, nor do I think I show any of the traits.
    Mmhmm... unless it's professionally diagnosed, I wouldn't go around claiming to have it. Fact is, for a while I actually did think I had aspergers. After reading a lot about it, it described me somewhat accurately and how I took to social situations. But after meeting someone who actually had it, it was more than clear that I did not have it. In the end, I just figured myself to be a fairly reserved person, especially around new people. It not that I don't run things through my head before I speak, I just have a slight preferences to letting other people put the effort in to get social. I'm really unphased by who I interact with, as long as they aren't demeaning, offensive, demanding or just plain outright idiots.