Thread: I need your help, ADISC!

Default I need your help, ADISC!

Okay, my college is going to choose three freshmen to give video cameras to, and then those freshmen have to document their first few days of college life. In order to be chosen for this I have to send in a video application about how awesome I'd be at it. Think 'reality TV contestant' video application.

I've got the general premise of what I'm going to do, but I still want to fish around for ideas. If you guys have any idea of what I could do, that'd be awesome. Unfortunately, due to obvious reasons, I won't be able to credit you in the film, but you will be thanked excessively and possibly kissed.

I'm going with funny for this project (obviously).

Ride a bicycle...naked. Judges love that stuff...

You should do a video about a day in your life right now. Try to make it as entertaining as possible and do funny things, dance, sing song songs, ext.

That way they'll know exactly what they are getting!

Good Luck!

Do you have any idea of what they may be looking for in a candidate? I imagine that if you make it too funny, they'll see you as being too fake and won't want to choose you. Try to make it an accurate representation of yourself to show them that you're not just jazzing up who you are just to get a shot at winning. I hope that made some sense.

Since the college is giving you the video camera, you can't be a complete idiot. They are using this as a marketing tool, so they want to be able to market it. I am assuming that it will be widely available for future freshman to view online. Taking these freshman to a drunken orgy would probably not be a good idea.

That said, the college is probably looking for three very different people from three different walks of life. In your video, show them what makes you different from everyone else. Highlight any struggles you've faced trying to get into college, why you chose the college, what you hope to do with your degree, etc. etc. Introduce them to your friends, maybe even for family. What do you do for fun? What are your biggest fears about leaving for college? What are you most excited about? Give them a peek inside your life.

MTV did the show College Life College Life | Full Episodes, Photos, Episode Synopsis and Recaps | MTV earlier this year. While I would make your video much more vanilla and much less MTV, it might give you some ideas.

Film each scene in a radically different setting (i.e. one scene with you sitting on towards the side of a park bench and away from the center of the shot, one scene where you're sitting at a table with a large stack of sandwiches in front of you, one scene where the camera is on the floor looking straight up at you, etc.).

It shows creativity and allows you to be clever and subtly funny without having to do anything that could be over the top.

Also, do many takes and spend some time doing basic video editing - make it clear to the judges that you know what you're doing (if you don't actually know what you're doing, make it look like you know what you're doing ).

The university wants to showcase students - emphasis your academic interest and what you do on the day-to-day.

The key is to make yours a part of a wider narrative about the university - its diversity,the excitement for being a 'member of the university' and the wide array of activities that are available for anyone that goes there.

Don't try to be too funny - if you're a generally involved individual in your college, showing who you are and what you are at school can be enough.

Thanks for all the help so far, people.

Quote Originally Posted by dlt88 View Post
    MTV did the show College Life College Life | Full Episodes, Photos, Episode Synopsis and Recaps | MTV earlier this year. While I would make your video much more vanilla and much less MTV, it might give you some ideas.
    I've seen that show. Good show.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    Film each scene in a radically different setting (i.e. one scene with you sitting on towards the side of a park bench and away from the center of the shot, one scene where you're sitting at a table with a large stack of sandwiches in front of you, one scene where the camera is on the floor looking straight up at you, etc.).
    That's good. I think I'll use it.