Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary

Default Scary

Has anyone heard of the killer asteroids that may hit earth well if you havent then lucky you cause it is quite scary but for those of you who want to learn more NASA lacks money to track killer asteroids | Top News
    And last but not least im not telling you what to do but if anyone calls me "crazy" or "needs help" I will not hesitate to give neg rep, you have the freedom to express your own opinion however you chose.

Clearly you're crazy about this topic and you might need help to find additional articles on the subject

To be serious, I can't say that it doesn't concern me, although I've followed the subject on and off for years and they have a pretty good idea about a large number of significant objects that pass nearby. The realistic short-term risk seems pretty small even if the results are potentially catastrophic. What we are missing is ongoing tracking of those objects as they interact with one another or the ones that are less common or that have slipped by thus far. Regardless, if it's short term, we could track them all we want and we lack the wherewithal to do anything about it more productive than hide. It's the 20+ year potential impacts that are worth concerning ourselves over. In addition, those near Earth objects may also serve as good raw materials for us as we venture out into the solar system, so it's not just defense but potential gain that might guide our interest. Given that this tracking is pretty inexpensive in budgetary terms, I hope they'll find a way to fund it properly going forward.

Geeze, at least link to the report and not some crappy "news" site 1 paragraph summary.

Near-Earth Object Surveys and Hazard Mitigation Strategies: Interim Report

There's the 20 page interim report - the full report hasn't been released yet, but their findings are still nicely summarized.

For what it's worth, the timeline is to track 90% of asteroids over 140 meters in diameter by 2020. Even if we saw one tomorrow that was going to hit us 10 years from now, we likely wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway. Real life isn't a Micheal Bay movie, and I for one am grateful for that.

Has anyone here seen the film 'Deep Impact'?

My point here is that even if we know about these objects it doesn't actually mean we have any way to stop them. Currently our best bet is to try and divert it off course or blow it into bits small enough that they burn up on entry. Either way it's likely to fail and we all end up dead anyway. Hope I didn't dampen the mood.

There are lots of thing I could be worried about: nuclear war, comet impacts, supervolcanoes, but I don't worry about them. Why? because each is rather unlikely and if I spent my whole life worrying about them I wouldn't have any time to enjoy myself.

Plus I'd personally be quite chuffed in my death certificate read "C.O.D. : comet impact"

Leeloo Dallas Multipass.

Not scary at all.
    The chances of being hit by a meteorite that could do significant damage are incredibly low.

If I was to fear that, I should fear a whole number of things.

What makes them so much more murderous than other asteroids? Have they killed before? Have they tasted blood? Good Gawt!!!

It's very likely that we will never see the asteroid that takes us out.
    If an object is on a direct collision course with Earth, from our perspective it would be perfectly motionless since it is moving directly towards us.
    Objects in space are easy for us to detect if they are moving perpendicular to us as we can see them moving across the sky, but those objects have a very low chance of hitting the Earth.
    Next big chance of known risk of impact: 2029

For lots of info on close approaches: NEO Earth Close Approaches

I've heard about this and I am conserned but thankfully we have years to figure this out. Here's a list of objects i've found that might hit the Earth.

August 15, 2011 - The comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdušáková will pass within 0.0601AU (about 5,589,300 miles) of Earth.

January 31, 2012 - 433 Eros, the second-largest Near Earth Object on record (size 13×13×33 km) will pass Earth at 0.1790 astronomical units (26,778,019 km; 16,639,090 mi). NASA studied Eros with the NEAR Shoemaker probe launched on 1996-02-17.

August 7, 2027 - Asteroid (137108) 1999 AN10 will pass within 388,960 km (0.0026 AU) of the Earth.

October 26, 2028 - Asteroid (35396) 1997 XF11 is predicted to make a close approach to Earth — nominal miss distance from Earth is 930 Mm (580,000 miles).

Friday, April 13, 2029 - The asteroid 99942 Apophis (previously better known by its provisional designation 2004 MN4) will pass within 30,000 km (18,600 mi) of the Earth, very briefly appearing as bright as 3rd magnitude. A possibility exists that Apophis could go through a 400 m wide "keyhole" on this pass which would put Apophis on a collision course with the Earth in 2036.

2031- Researchers and investors in space elevator technology hope to start funding the construction of the first elevator. (just thought that was interesting.)

2032 - Projected return to Earth orbit of object J002E3, the discarded S-IVB third stage of the Apollo 12 Saturn V.

January 8, 2035 - Near-Earth object 2002 AY1 will make a close approach to Earth.

April 13, 2036 - Close approach to Earth by asteroid 99942 Apophis. The 20-million-ton object has a 1 in 45,000 chance of hitting the Earth on Easter Sunday.

January 31, 2037 - Near-Earth object 2002 OD20 will make a close approach to Earth.

May 18, 2044 - Near-Earth object 2002 QF15 will make a close approach to Earth.

2048 - Asteroid 2007 VK184 has a chance of 1 in 3030 of hitting the earth in this year.

So I was nibbling gently on the tree tops, enjoying myself. It was a beautiful day and not much to really worry about, except for maybe that volcano in the distance. I casually glanced down and there was my good friend Stegosaurus.

"Hey," I said. "I'll bet you wish you could crane your neck up here and get all these juicy leaves. Isn't life good. I was just talking to Diplodicus and he said....Hey what's that in the sky coming right at us...anyway as I was saying"....BLAM!!!!!!