Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeper Cars

Default Sleeper Cars

Anyone else drive a car that is a "sleeper".

A car that looks slow but is quicker than normal or fast?

I rock a 5 speed sedan that looks stock but makes 403whp 418ft pounds of torque and runs low 12's.

And go!
    Last edited by CarKid; 20-Aug-2009 at 02:17.

Sadly my car is anything but a sleeper

Every boy racer and police officer in town pays too much attention to me.

Both of my cars were sleepers. I won a lot of street races that way, though, anyone who knew what a 340 Duster was should have had an idea. What they didn't know was that it was bored out 30 thousands with TRW 12.5 to 1 racing pistons, along with the Crower cam and the Edlebrock high rise manifold. None of this was obvious.

Me and my racing buddy would borrow a American Motors Gremlin from the speed shop where we built our cars. It belonged to Shepherd's Automotive in Akron, Ohio. He had dropped a built Chrysler 318 into it. That was fun to pick races up in.

Asher

I have a friend who has a 2000 Ford Focus that he vamped up with a V12 Engine and some other crazy stuff (his dad is extremely wealthy, so he was able to get all of his "supplies" with ease). He didn't put any decals or anything on it; he just put all his energy (...and money) into that engine:

Now, why he chose a Focus and not something else? I have no flippin' idea. But could that Focus go super fast? Hells yea it did! I think he got it up to 190 mph one time out on the race track.

I assume my dad's 2009 sliverado looks slow since it has a full size bed but it also has a V8 and that thing has some get up and go behind it. Of course it's not made for racing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    I have a friend who has a 2000 Ford Focus that he vamped up with a V12 Engine and some other crazy stuff (his dad is extremely wealthy, so he was able to get all of his "supplies" with ease). He didn't put any decals or anything on it; he just put all his energy (...and money) into that engine:

Now, why he chose a Focus and not something else? I have no flippin' idea. But could that Focus go super fast? Hells yea it did! I think he got it up to 190 mph one time out on the race track.
    ]

Now I'm calling you out on this one... I've heard of v8's but not v12s.

Pics of the v12 in that car or it didnt' happen.... And no excuses that you can't get em

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I assume my dad's 2009 sliverado looks slow since it has a full size bed but it also has a V8 and that thing has some get up and go behind it. Of course it's not made for racing though.
    No offense but not slow.

Now the silverado SS's are decent. Run 14's stock.......
    Last edited by Peachy; 12-Aug-2009 at 16:44. Reason: merging double post - use "multiple quotes"-feature

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathon View Post
    Anyone else drive a car that is a "sleeper".

A car that looks slow but is quicker than normal or fast?

I rock a Taurus SHO 5 speed that looks stock but makes 403whp 418ft pounds of torque and runs low 12's.

And go!
    Hah, my friend has a 1990 Taurus SHO. Thing is badass, but looks like a beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    My dad has a 2004 Z71 Silverado. It has a Vortec V8 (5.4L I think? I don't remember 100%), 8 foot bed, and extended cab (suicide half-door rear row seats). Thing comes off the line like mad, I bet if it didn't have the 4k rev limiter thing would go at least 120mph.

Asher

]

Pics of the v12 in that car or it didnt' happen.... And no excuses that you can't get em
    Haha! When I get back to Vegas, I'll ask him if I can take pics of the engine.

Keep in mind that my friend does have the tendency to "fib" persay; it might be just a V8 and he was being cocky and saying that it was a V12 to show off. I'm not one to really know about cars; the only car I know about is my 560 SL (which I think has a V8 engine lol). It's not a sleeper; why I didn't mention it

Added thumbnails to the bottom of it and its engine; hope you can see them.
    EDIT: When uploading the images, it fails. Jonathon, if you want me to send them to you via PM, let me know; maybe it'll work then.

I don't think my car would classify as a sleeper or anything, but I do have the fastest stock production Pontiac Vibe, 2.4 motor with the extremely rare manual gearbox. It will beat any other model 2nd gen vibe as well as a 1st gen GT model, provided they are stock of course. Will do some mods to it once I get the chance.

]

V12 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They do exist but are overly complex and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    In automobiles, V12 engines have never been common due to their complexity and cost. They are used almost exclusively in expensive sports cars and luxury cars and are sought after for their power, relatively vibration-free operation and distinctive sound.
    Prior to World War II, twelve-cylinder engines were found in many luxury models, including cars from Auburn, Cadillac, Packard, Lincoln, Franklin, Rolls-Royce, Pierce-Arrow, and Hispano-Suiza. Packard's 1916 "Twin Six" is widely regarded as the first production V12 engine. With its list price of US$1000, the Auburn was the cheapest V12 car ever; money was apparently saved by having its valves horizontal, which did not make for the most powerful combustion chamber. Between 1916 and 1921,[2] there was a vogue of V12s, during which National (Indianapolis) copied the Packard engine, and Weidely Motors (also of Indianapolis) offered a proprietary engine. Soon after the end of World War I, Lancia offered a 22ο V12, FIAT had a 60ο model 520 (1921-2), and even British truck manufacturer Ensign promised one, which did not appear, and in 1926, Daimler (Britain) offered a sleeve valve Double Six.[3] In 1927, there was a resurgence, and Daimler, Cadillac, Franklin, Hispano-Suiza, Horch, Lagonda, Maybach, Packard, Rolls, Tatra, Voisin, and Walter all had V12s; Cadillac (from 1930 through 1940) and Marmon (1931-1933) even developed V16 engines.