Thread: Current computer build!

Everything will work, but I must ask why the such-low end GPU and monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
    Everything will work, but I must ask why the such-low end GPU and monitor?
    Because it has one built in and I need another one because I have a HD LCD TV that has a VGA imput on it and I'm getting the low end monitor to go with the low end GPU.

First off, I'd ditch the case. I've worked with that one before and it's terrible. Lousy air flow, tight spaces, and flimsy construction. The power supply wouldn't be all that great, either. You should never, EVER skimp on your power supply. It's the only part in your entire computer that can kill everything else if it goes haywire. I aim for around $100 for a desktop supply. Antec is my favorite brand, but that's just because I've had good luck with them.

I like the Antec 900 case. It's expensive ($150, but it'll last you through several computers), but it's solidly built, has GREAT airflow, and plenty of open space to work with.

I'd also ditch the CPU and the motherboard. The AMD offerings right now just aren't that great compared to the Core2Duos. Here's a combo deal on newegg for a Core2duo and motherboard, works out to the same price:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

The keyboard & mouse should go, too. Only go for wireless if you NEED it, and then make sure you spring for the good stuff. Otherwise, you'll be changing batteries so often you'll lose your mind.

Otherwise, everything looks good but it all depends on what you're ultimately trying to do with this thing. If you want to game, ditch that videocard and trade up to a Radeon HD4850. It's a damn fine card, especially at its price point. Other than the screwdriver you'll need to piece it all together, all the cables and screws should come with the various bits, mostly with the case and motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    Because it has one built in and I need another one because I have a HD LCD TV that has a VGA imput on it and I'm getting the low end monitor to go with the low end GPU.
    Uh, the onboard video sucks. What are you trying to do with it?

The keyboard & mouse should go, too. Only go for wireless if you NEED it, and then make sure you spring for the good stuff. Otherwise, you'll be changing batteries so often you'll lose your mind.
    x1000. I'm a gamer and I have a wireless keyboard. I'm changing out batteries every 3 or 4 days.

I'm also an Intel guy, but I'm switching to AMD in my next rig. Price/Performance ratios are better. I'd say stick with that motherboard and CPU. I'd get PC6400 RAM instead of PC8500, as PC8500 is a waste for you as you're probably not an enthusiast and don't plan on overclocking.

I'd seriously consider getting a better GPU though. Onboard GPUs suck for HD movies etc, even YouTube could bring on the lag! 1080p would kill it. I'd get something even like a 8500GT or something instead of a 7200GS.

I'm also an Intel guy, but I'm switching to AMD in my next rig. Price/Performance ratios are better. I'd say stick with that motherboard and CPU.
    The CPUs are comparable, hence the identical price. But frankly, I'm just not impressed with the AMD chipsets. Intel's stuff is rock solid, though.

Actually, here's a MUCH better motherboard to go with than the one I linked earlier:

Newegg.com - Intel BOXDP43TF LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

I'd still go with the same CPU, though.

I'd get PC6400 RAM instead of PC8500, as PC8500 is a waste for you as you're probably not an enthusiast and don't plan on overclocking.
    Yeah, this is a good call.

I'd seriously consider getting a better GPU though. Onboard GPUs suck for HD movies etc, even YouTube could bring on the lag! 1080p would kill it. I'd get something even like a 8500GT or something instead of a 7200GS.
    What I don't get is going with an onboard AND a second GPU. The one he's got will work fine for YouTube and 1080p video since I do that all the time with a crappy onboard GMA950 that is MUCH worse than the one on his mobo (in reality, the only video processing that will be offloaded to the GPU will be things like BluRay), but if he's planning on any gaming AT ALL, he needs to get a better video card than the one he's got.

HD4850 is a kickass card, HD4870 would be better.