Thread: Delayed vs. Instant Gratification

Default Delayed vs. Instant Gratification

I would describe myself as a casual diaper wearer; I've often gone for a few months without ever wearing a diaper, and if I don't feel like wearing any time soon once I use up a pack, I often won't buy a new one to have around. This got me into trouble about a week ago, when over the course of the evening, the urge to wear a diaper kept building, until I had to go to the drugstore and buy the best diapers available - Depends, sadly. Abenas are my favorite, but since I'd have to order those online and wait four or five days for them to arrive, that simply wasn't an option last week. Now that I've got the Depends, I'm not going to waste them, of course, which is why I just ended up changing myself after a wetting that an Abena would have easily dealt with, but big enough that I was worried my Depend would leak if I didn't change it. Oh well.
    Has anyone else ever found themselves in a similar situation, or does everyone here always make sure they're well stocked?

You could always double stack the depends to make a thicker diaper.... Thats what I do when I cant get abenas.

The way I deal with it is to keep the diaper-wearing somewhat consistent, so that the urge doesn't hit me so hard and so suddenly.

I have a cloth diaper, so I have the option to wear at least every other night...

...and since I do, I'll make sure to wear my diaper every other night--even if I do not necessarily feel like wearing. Thus, I rarely (if ever) have sudden urges.

You may find such a balance for wearing once every week, two, weeks, or month...but when you find that balance, stick with it. Hopefully, this will help you manage your sudden urges.

I would say my wearing patterns are fairly casual, but my stocking habits are not. Since I have lived on my own, I don't think I have ever been without at least one disposable in the place, even though I have some cloth. When Attends started to get less common and then turned bad, I can remember going without rather than use the last good one I had in my stash. Somehow it felt better to have it and not use it than to use it and then not have one at all.

I find that I wear more if I have more of them around, mostly because I find they take up a lot of space. Once they're down to a more manageable storage level, I can easily go weeks without any real urge to wear. I'm strongly inclined to get more when my last pack gets down to half or less, even if under normal circumstances that half a pack might easily last a month or two.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I would say my wearing patterns are fairly casual, but my stocking habits are not. Since I have lived on my own, I don't think I have ever been without at least one disposable in the place, even though I have some cloth. When Attends started to get less common and then turned bad, I can remember going without rather than use the last good one I had in my stash. Somehow it felt better to have it and not use it than to use it and then not have one at all.

I find that I wear more if I have more of them around, mostly because I find they take up a lot of space. Once they're down to a more manageable storage level, I can easily go weeks without any real urge to wear. I'm strongly inclined to get more when my last pack gets down to half or less, even if under normal circumstances that half a pack might easily last a month or two.
    Trevor, I wouldn't be surprised if you had algorithms that dictated when you buy more.

Thanks for the discussion and advice, everyone...

Kif, wearing on a schedule probably would make sense for me. I could imagine that wearing, say, two nights and one day every two weeks might be good. The problem is that, when I'm going through a period when I don't want to wear, I really don't want to wear, to the point where even having diapers in the house starts to become offensive. I do realize that I have issues with my wearing that I need to resolve, it's just a difficult thing to do.

And wayward1, thanks for the suggestion - I don't like to double up all that much because it feels wasteful, but I decided it would be better to double up overnight tonight. I've got two fresh Depends on right now - nice and bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    Thanks for the discussion and advice, everyone...

Kif, wearing on a schedule probably would make sense for me. I could imagine that wearing, say, two nights and one day every two weeks might be good. The problem is that, when I'm going through a period when I don't want to wear, I really don't want to wear, to the point where even having diapers in the house starts to become offensive. I do realize that I have issues with my wearing that I need to resolve, it's just a difficult thing to do.
    I used to have similar feelings about having diapers around when I was not in a mood to wear. I've since completely accepted that my love of diapers is just a part of who I am...it's private for me, I only share it in forums like this.

I've gotten into a pattern of wearing no more than 2 nights a week (sometimes only one, Saturday night, because I can sleep late on Sunday mornings) So a 12 pack of Abenas can last me 3 months sometimes). I tend to keep a supply on hand and reorder when I'm down to about 3 left. Also, only wearing 1 or 2 nights a week makes it more exciting for me Recently I placed a large order of several different types of Abena's I now have enough diapers around to last me 6 months if I stick to my current wearing trend...however, having more around does make me want to wear more often So we'll see how long my supply lasts

-Gus

I have more than 20 different kinds of diapers on hand. I probably could go 24/7 for 6 months without running out. I see myself as an oppertunistic diaper shopper. If I find a good deal on e-bay I buy it. If I see something new I want to try I buy it. I want to wear differrent diapers at different times so I always have them available. If you don't want to double up on your Depends get some cheap store brand baby diapers to add absorbency. That way you don't feel guilty about wasting them.

Hi Stella and welcome. Glad you joined. I went through a time like yours but now that I am incontinent, I make sure I have diapers all the time. Once we accept that there isn't anything wrong or disgusting wearing and using diapers, then I found my urges went away. The safe and secure feeling of being diapered is better than beating myself up over wearing or not wearing. It's much easier to change a wet diaper than wet pants.

Quote Originally Posted by checkingoutall View Post
    Hi Stella and welcome. Glad you joined. I went through a time like yours but now that I am incontinent, I make sure I have diapers all the time. Once we accept that there isn't anything wrong or disgusting wearing and using diapers, then I found my urges went away. The safe and secure feeling of being diapered is better than beating myself up over wearing or not wearing. It's much easier to change a wet diaper than wet pants.
    Oh, I agree, for anyone who's incontinent, wearing diapers obviously makes sense, and if I were in that situation, I doubt I'd have any issues about it. It's because I don't have any physical need to wear diapers though, just that I like wearing them at least some of the time, that causes the problem for me - because there are also times when I really don't want to wear diapers, or even have any diapers around, at all, and so when the next time comes around that I do want to put a diaper on, I end up buying a worse diaper than I would if I would just accept the fact that I'm a DL and I need to have diapers on hand.