Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irresoponsible Misinformation at UToronto?

Default Irresoponsible Misinformation at UToronto?

So, I was browsing the wikipedia discussion page for the diaper fetishism article and stumbled across a link to this powerpoint presentation: hxxp://www.utm.utoronto.ca/fileadmin/w3psy/Psy344Sex05.pps

It looks to be a presentation from some psychology class at the University of Toronto, mainly focusing on the subject of sexual abuse and pedophilia. However, it goes on to explore links between paraphilias and pedophilia. It basically talks about infantilism saying that, while not all infantilists are pedophiles, there is a definite link. Of course, no citation or any evidence is provided to back up this claim.

And what's equally disturbing, is that the first slide implies the presenter is affiliated with the police! So uh, if you're ab/dl in Ontario, I guess you should watch out. It's disturbing to me that such a presentation could be made to college students, especially by law enforcement.

Oh well, the good news is that the discussion page's mention of it was specifically removing it as a source, claiming it is not credible and disagrees with credible sources. But still, it's frustrating to see it.
    Last edited by chevre; 03-Aug-2009 at 03:15. Reason: Per Bittergrey's suggestion, I've broken the link text.

I can understand why they would link pedophilia to infantilism. They are similarly themed around childhood, and can be of a sexual nature. It makes it very tempting for forensic psychologists to see a correlation between the two. The statistics that resulted from research were showed in the presentation and made a reasonable case at first glance, however, I cannot compare these to any control data. For instance, one of the numbers is that 18% of pedophiles have been linked to other paraphilia, but if the average non-pedophile has a 17% chance of having an other paraphilia, this really is not an adequate find to conclude a "link" between pedophilia and other paraphilia.
    There is however a strong distinction between the two, that one would probably not be aware of if you aren't an AB yourself. Like, I sure as heck know I'm not a pedophile. I think the researchers would have been able to conclude this rather quickly if they spoke to fetishists other than pedophiles, which I'm tempted to conclude they didn't. Poorly managed or funded research can get dirty rather quickly, and the fact that Wikipedia rejects it as a viable source does suggest this may have been the case.
    Scientists need to be reminded to think outside the box every once in a while.

The fact that the writer was a cop explains a lot, as I think people in law enforcement see crime around every corner. To the ignorant, all they can see is a grown adult being attracted not only to baby diapers, but also the baby. The issue is further complicated by the psychological community lumping infantilism together with pedophilia all under the unbrella of paraphelia. It's easy to jump from one misguided conclusion to the next.

The only common thread that binds all these conditions together is the link to objects. The psychological community then has to see children as objects in the eyes of their abusers. The dead body for necrophiliacs is an object. The animal for zoophiles is an object, and baby paraphernalia such as diapers, pacifiers, plushies are all objects. But the motivation and cause I think are quite different, and for that reason I don't think we should be lumped together. If you wanted to take it one step further, all people with obsessive compulsive behavior disorders could be lumped together, but again, the causing factors would probably be different.

It basically talks about infantilism saying that, while not all infantilists are pedophiles, there is a definite link
    I have to say, this wouldn't surprise me. Look at how many pedos the mods have to deal with on a regular basis.

(Disclaimer: I didn't read the link)

Most law enforcement and physcologists have a hard time distinguishing the two groups.

As a friend of mine put it: "Why would someone who wants to be the baby want to be with the baby?"

This just in, a link has been found between pedophiles, and people who like bread. Over 88% of pedophiles have claimed they eat bread on a regular bases. So if you see someone eating bread, slap it out of their hands and make a citizen's arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    This just in, a link has been found between pedophiles, and people who like bread. Over 88% of pedophiles have claimed they eat bread on a regular bases. So if you see someone eating bread, slap it out of their hands and make a citizen's arrest.
    Even more shockingly, upon further investigation into doughy-diapergate it has been discovered with 100% confidence that there is a positive correlative link between oxygen consumption and pedophilia. 100% of all child molesters are known to breath oxygen. If you are not a pedophile then we can prove it by dunking you in the river. If you survive then you must not need oxygen and therefore are not a pedo; however, if you are dead when you stop struggling you must have been a monster. Good riddance.

DannyTheNinja

Slide 98: "18% of paedophiles have associated paraphilic behaviors."

Considering the sheer number of people that have paraphilias, this isn't even a real statistic.

--Danny

There is a definite link between being male AND being female to pedophilia. While most are male, the rest are female; so between the two there is a 100% correlation.

Anybody who had any trauma below the age of three - including being born - will associate the post-trauma comfort of being in diapers with them; and so are latent or potential diaper-fetishists. This proves the link between diaper-fetishism and pedophilia.

i would say that, from my own observations, the proportion of paedophiles within 'our' community is probably less than that of the civil service or the gay movement.
    that said, this is still a fine-line we're walking, not just in social perceptions but also in how our own desires can be perverted as we grow and develop......and also at the hands of others.