Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I got a mattress protector...

Default So I got a mattress protector...

I'm not a bedwetter, at least not since I was about 5 or 6 years old (Saddly I was never diapered for it..but did have a crinkly cover over my mattress).

As for diapers, I only wear 1 or 2 nights a week at most, for fun. When I do wear I often soak them, I wear Abena X-Plus with a booster so I don't really have problems with leaks, but every now and then it happens.

Not wanting to ruin my mattress, I decided that it would be good to get a mattress protector. I bought a "Allergy Luxe" Brand "Premium Mattress Protector" (It's actually marketed as a "Premium Mattress Bed Bug Berrier"...I don't have bed bugs...I think I'd rather be a bedwetter than have bed bugs )

Anyhow, one of the mattress protector's many specs is, that it is "Waterproof". It's made from 100% Micropolyester. It seems very soft to the touch, and doesn't seem like it would be "Crinkly" (in the loud sense...) But once you put it on the mattress, even with a fitted mattress pad, and fitted sheet over it...it sounds like the crinkly cover that I remeber from my childhood.

I'll probably take it off if I have any female company in bed (but it's been a while since I've had that ) So I guess I don't have to worry.

-Gus

One of my friends has one on her bed - in fact their entire family does... to preserve the mattress... or something..

Elli

Quote Originally Posted by barkd74 View Post
    or leave it on and say you have allergies.
    Or leave it on and say you have bed bugs!

Hehe...Ok, I have one of those slightly padded not-waterproof mattress cover things, just because mattresses are expensive and sometimes I spill my night time drinks. It has been pretty good with the ocassional juice spillage.

As you say you only wear a couple of times a week and leakage is rare, you could consider disposable bed mats (Pampers, Huggies, or adult brands - it's not like it isn't going to fit!) They cover only part of the bed but a fairly big section. You could leave it on under the sheets and see if it is detectable, or put one on top only when it might be needed.

Can't help thinking, it might be as well to leave it on when the girl is there with you, for entirely different reasons, but I maybe shouldn't say that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    One of my friends has one on her bed - in fact their entire family does... to preserve the mattress... or something..
    I've got one on my bed.

It's because if the mattress is not PURE AND PRISTINE WHITE, they'll void the warranty.

And, yes, I sometimes sweat buckets, especially if it's really hot. So ... I've got this installed on my own bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    Or leave it on and say you have bed bugs!

Hehe...Ok, I have one of those slightly padded not-waterproof mattress cover things, just because mattresses are expensive and sometimes I spill my night time drinks. It has been pretty good with the ocassional juice spillage.

Can't help thinking, it might be as well to leave it on when the girl is there with you, for entirely different reasons, but I maybe shouldn't say that!!
    I had the "Slightly padded not-waterproof mattress cover, AKA Mattess Pad..." on before, and it worked well with most leaks, but I did notice that it managed to get to the matress once...reason for getting the protector. I actually put a new Mattress Pad on over the mattress protector, which quiets it a bit, but it's still very noticable. I'm giong to sleep on it tonight and see if it bother's me... I'll give it the diapered test run this weekend.

As for leaving it on when the girl is there...yes I've considered that reason too

-Gus

If your worried about damaging the mattress you can buy disposable pads that go under you when you sleep

I was using a waterproof padded nattress cover with a regular mattress pad over that but found it made me sweat and uncomfortable. I find difficult to think one needs their mattress to absorb a certian amount at nite and then evaporate it the next day but thats the way it is. I steamvac my mattress every so often and put it out on the deck in the sun to dry.

I think a mattress protector is a good idea whether you need one or not. Everyone spills a drink now and then, and everyone gets the flu with all its bodily complications!

I keep a vinyl zip on cover on my mattress. I also use tuck in bed pads I got from Dr. Leonard's and they work out great. The reason for the double protection I bough a new mattress set last year and do not want it ruined.