Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raccoon's Deviant Repping Policy

Default Raccoon's Deviant Repping Policy

I feel that newbies greeting newbies is not only to be commended, but very strongly encouraged; it makes the greeted feel extra welcome, with the extra attention; it is a good way for greeters to make inroads in terms of posting, without worry about being ignored, criticized or laughed at for not making posts of the style or quality of veterans. If they read the forum before joining they no doubt see some people's heads jumped all over for their grammar, attitudes to diaper punishment, complaints about their neg rep, their suggestions of ADISC 2, intros with too much bodily funtion detail, intros with insufficient detail, and run-on sentences. That last category is especially egregious.

So they may be afraid to post, some of them. Greeting other newbies with a cheery

Welcome! Hey!! I am ALSO into Naruto or Romanian AK 47's or Modded ECU's to up mah boost 2 PSI
    is a safe venue to join the fray. Especially if they can think of nothing to say, having nothing new (as yet) to add to Popular Culture diaper scenes and references, how to make a diaper from two paperclips and a newspaper, or Obama's failings, such as having done nowhere near as much for acceptance of AB/DL's as he has for acceptance of Black politicians.

Besides, the largest problem bedeviling ADISC is the lowered feeling of being a tight-knit community; this comes with getting bigger and growing faster. Newbies greeting newbies makes them feel part of their own little sub-community - but is not divisive, as the process of being an active newbie propels one into the community of regulars, and on to VIP - and thence, maybe - to staff. And in fact hastens this by upping post count, increasing their chances to get +rep, and generally interact more on the forums; interacting, participating, is a much more effective way to learn the ropes than merely reading other peoples' posts.

So I have decided to +rep newbies greeting newbies, as long as the post is more than a mere "Hi - I am also a newbie!!" and is more than halfways deserving of a rep point - I enjoy giving people their first rep, and and therefore eagerly await them giving me reason for it. I am merely declaring a personal policy which is already pretty much standard practise for me. I rep newbies more easily than regulars or VIP's, anyway; as I think should most people.

This post is an indirect plug for my already proposed Newbies' Forum http://www.adisc.org/forum/administr...m-newbies.html I realize this post will likely end up in Admin Stuff, but I reiterate that newbies not only deserve their own forum to air and discuss their own issues (stuff gets un-noticed in the very huge Regulars' forum) but would be a good place for perma-threads on How Do I Get To Be A Regular? Ditto For VIP? How Do I Set Up IRC? How come that guy's pooping post got less -rep than my own? How come it got more? How come all this neato stuff is in Admin stuff with all the other Admin Stuff (or the wiki) when we newbies who need to know this stuff could have it all in one place, right under our noses where we start posting anyway, instead of having to go off and poke around in places we do not even know exists or how to find it? How can we know to look for stuff we have no idea exists, until people get mad at us for our ignorance and yell READ THE FAQ; AND GO FIND IT YOURSELF, AND COME BACK WHEN YOU HAVE FOUND IT, READ IT, AND KNOW HOW TO BEHAVE!!

Basically, I think being a tight-knit community depends on two basic things: commonality, say of outlook, attitude and interests; at least on a broad level. DL's, age players, babyfurs, incons, their carers and so on all have an interest in diapers. I may be Republican and you Liberal, but we both care about politics, and what is best for the country.

The other thing is the degree to which we know each other; this depends on the degree of communication between us, the number and density of links, if you will. There is one-way communication: from one to another, say, where you read my stuff but we don't talk. In two-way, we interact: directly, as in chat, or by your posting a kitty macro in resonse to my raccoon macro, or refining Adaffme's pacifier creation technique http://www.adisc.org/forum/teenbaby/...-pacifier.html with your own results and ideas, or supplying links for me travel by: to places where I will find YOU

With a large site, we can not talk to everyone else, or read their stuff, or even read every forum; nor do we bother to do so when all the good diaper-hiding places, best brands of the last 10 years, and ideas for the rep system have been proposed, withdrawn, tested, mentioned, re-mentioned and the place has become boring. (Another reason why some veterans may have left.) What we can do is encourage member-to-member interaction, right from the outset, between people who identify with each other, even if it is on the basis of being newbies. Plus this is like making childhood friends and hanging onto them. My best friends here are the ones I know best, and many of them are ones I have known longest.

Oh - and as to the ADISC 2 fiasco http://www.adisc.org/forum/administr...-proposal.html while I did not care much for the degree of disapproval of the idea, I welcomed the responses for their honesty and sincerity; I am by no means complaining about any of it. I bring it up here to say that while I took no offence from the responses I got, a newbie in the same position might well be put off the forum, not realizing that while one is free to propose things here, that freedom of speech entails sometimes getting criticism for things, Right, "D" or "Y" ? But being roundly criticized over one thing does not mean one is unwelcome or disliked in the long run.

A sticky in greetings forum directing new members to the newbie-applicable parts of the wiki is to be applauded; but using the rep system to incentivise reading and following the suggestions and information in the wiki or elsewhere is also a good idea, methinks.
    Last edited by Raccoon; 29-Jul-2009 at 23:28.

If you scroll back through the VIP forum, you will see a post about the same topic. The general consensus is that it was good to give newbies +rep easier.

However, (and this is my thought), the newbies shouldn't know this beforehand. What's to stop an unsavory person joining, reading your post, then greeting loads of newbies until they're halfway to VIP by people who agree with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamaker View Post
    However, (and this is my thought), the newbies shouldn't know this beforehand. What's to stop an unsavory person joining, reading your post, then greeting loads of newbies until they're halfway to VIP by people who agree with you?

I WANT to have people read my post and greet other newbies.

But how to prevent abuse?

1. I do not rep any post unless it deserves it; I just relax my standards a bit; the check and balance here is the review of rep by the mods; they will remove unwarranted rep.

2. Cap the amount of rep (+ or -) a member can get while a newbie. This means - yes - there may be a furious trip to, say, +5, and a sudden slowdown in rate of attainment thereafter. What is wrong with that? It is an encouragement to hit the ground running, and grab all you can for one week. It encourages people to be active AND make quality posts, without unbalancing anything. It sends the message talking to people - new people - is good, for them and for you.

As to capping the rep a person can get while still blue, people could go back and +rep them more as soon as the poster turned green.

It would also mean that there is less initial rep-difference; giving the forums a less elitist us-and-them feel; the guy with +4 (and an initial cap of +5) will FEEL he is closer to the guy with +6 than his having +0 and the other guy having +2. +30 is still +30; by the time you get past say 10 the initial boost is not that big an advantage. By earning rep easily at first it makes a person think they can keep earning rep, which of course they can; the guy stuck at +0 forever may get discouraged. Not to mention the guy with -0, who is even worse off

I would sooner see all of our one-month-olds have +5 than +0. And I do not feel it would devalue my rep. Think of it like minimum wage.

[edit] I just realized this reflects my politics, that I think poor people can be richened [sic] without empooring [sic] the rich (significantly.)

Oh yeah. I WANT newbies to see this post and respond to it with their own views.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamaker View Post
    If you scroll back through the VIP forum, you will see a post about the same topic. The general consensus is that it was good to give newbies +rep easier.

This makes my point: I am reasonably active on this forum, and VIP is one of the forums I read, after Greetings, Mature, Admin, and Regulars', in that order; and if I am not full by that point, I can have the rest for dessert. If I have to scroll back through VIP to find this, what hope has a newbie? If I am active and missed it what hope has an occasional visitor - VIP or not - ?

People are supposed to "stumble upon" rep, to do their best to make good posts without guidance?

As I have said before, I think rep-chasing by making good posts - is to be commended and encouraged; that is what the rep system is supposed to do. (Not, I point out, cheating by club-repping or sucking up to someone by restating their opinions. I would rather be disgreed with well than agreed with weakly.)
    Last edited by Raccoon; 30-Jul-2009 at 10:02.

People are supposed to "stumble upon" rep, to do their best to make good posts without guidance?
    Was that a statement, or a question? [I'm serious, I don't get whether you were saying that's how it SHOULD happen, or whether you were asking if that's how it should be.]

If that was a question, that's the general idea of rep... It's kinda like college. You're smart and a good student, you get through. You're a creep, and do bad things, and are a bad student, you don't get through, you get held back untill you change. Sure, the filter doesn't catch everyone, but most of the bad students don't get a degree... Same with rep. You're a good member, you make good posts, do good things? You get good rep. You act creepy, make creepy posts, do bad things [or lately, disagree with other opinionated members]? You get neg rep. Thus, you only get VIP if you /deserve/ it. Rep isn't a feel-good everyone's-a-winner system. It's there for a reason: to show how contributive you are to the community [or lately, how much you agree with others' opinions]. It's not a perfect filter, the rep system can still be cheated, but its' general purpose is to be both a positive and negative reinforcement learning system... You do good, you get rewarded. You do bad, you get punished. If we start letting new guys rep each other up to VIP, you see a problem? Let's say seven to ten trolls/troublemakers sign up. They all act normal, make good posts, 'meet each other', and get repped up by people who want rep to be a hand-out system. Now, they wait a week or two, and rep eacher up all at once. Now, they're a VIP, boom. Now they can do anything a VIP can! Look at that! We just handed them the status because they all 'met each other'. See the fallacy behind the idea? Not that it wasn't a good impulse thought, but you've gotta analyze it. Thanks for trying, but I'll pass. =)

And, I can attest to be relatively new. When I had +0, I didn't feel like i was ENTITLED to be handed rep, just to make me feel better/more adequate. I knew that I'd have to work my way up into the community, just like, say, Darkfinn, and H3g3l, and others with a shit-ton and a half of rep. Did anyone hand THEM reputation, for example? No. They earned it. How did they do that? By proving themselves and proving that they are a positive and helpful member of the group, and earning their way up. And did I feel that I should be handed points? No. That wouldn't be right, it's essentially 'sympathy points'. Obviously you gotta start somewhere, so instead of giving these 'sympathy points', as I feel, wouldn't it be better for them to start by helping out someone else, and getting reputation for their positive contributions? Did I feel/do I still feel inferior to those that have +1,000,000? Nope, it just means they've been here longer than me, and contributed more than me. Rep is a matter of time and effort, not superiority. And, if they feel that since someone's been here 2 years and has +200 or something, that they're not as great, then they need to be considerate and understanding of the fact that reputation is earned through hard work and good deeds here, and they, too, can earn that much rep, if they work just as hard and do just as good. Rep is there to show how positively contributing of a member you are. Please don't suggest we water it down. I feel that the shards of integrity that the rep system still has would thank you for it.

Bottom line, I commend you for trying, but I feel, no.
    Last edited by adaffme149; 30-Jul-2009 at 05:36.

EmeraldsAndLime

What you are proposing is far too convoluted for most people to follow and sounds like an overbearing procedure that'll require quite a bit of work from the programmers. Why can't we just go straight from point A to point B, without hitting every town in between?

I too 'lax my standards when it comes to repping newbies, but I do it on a case-by-case basis. More often than not, I only rep newbies if I want them to stick around, and that only usually happens when they write a brilliant introduction. I'm not in the business of repping just because they're being warm and welcoming, otherwise any person could get a number of rep-points with nothing more than superficial "Hello!" posts to their name. I loath that and it makes me a little more distasteful about this place every time I see it occur.

Rep newbies for the same reasons you'd rep a regular or VIP here.

Ummm, maybe I have not read the right FAQ's or whatever, but I have no idea what you are all talking about? What is rep? what is -rep +rep etc? I thought the "status" thing - Newbie, Lurker, Regular, VIP thing was based on post counts/log in ratio or something.... Perhaps Ive missed a memo.

**confused**

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousKid View Post
    Ummm, maybe I have not read the right FAQ's or whatever, but I have no idea what you are all talking about? What is rep? what is -rep +rep etc? I thought the "status" thing - Newbie, Lurker, Regular, VIP thing was based on post counts/log in ratio or something.... Perhaps Ive missed a memo.

**confused**

Reputation "Rep" points are things other users of this site can give you for either great contributions or very poor ones. Although they're often the focus of much dispute. I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. If you stick around and make some genuinely good posts on here, it becomes irrelevant.

Check here for more info.

Well, first let me say that while I disagree with the conclusions and (many of) the arguments of the preceding two posts, they were well written, well-argued from their point of view, and said in moderate language. Well maybe not so well-argued when we look carefully, but certainly there was effort, sincerity, passion, and I judge, good enough intent.

Before we go on, please make sure you have done your required background reading:

http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    What you are proposing is far too convoluted for most people to follow and sounds like an overbearing procedure that'll require quite a bit of work from the programmers. Why can't we just go straight from point A to point B, without hitting every town in between?
    Okay, there were two points here: 1. The idea of the newbie forum, and 2. the notion of encouraging newbies to greet each other. The newbie forum idea was discussed in another thread http://www.adisc.org/forum/administr...-newbies.html; - but that was during the time of upheaval when no radical ideas could be entertained, good or bad, as there was so much going on. I think the idea still has merit: after all we got new forums like Roleplay, Babyfur, and subforums in off-topic, so the work in merely creating a new forum is not the main issue with that. But let us leave that idea alone for now; it deserves its own thread if it deserves to be discussed at all.

What part of anything I described is overbearing? I said I will go out of my way to rep newbies for welcoming other newbies in their greetings threads, so long as

the post is more than a mere "Hi - I am also a newbie!!" and is more than halfways deserving of a rep point <ME>
    . Now in case everybody did this, there would be a cap on the max-rep/post for posts in greetings threads. Let us assume that this would not be onerous for the programmers; would it be a good idea?

More often than not, I only rep newbies if I want them to stick around, and that only usually happens when they write a brilliant introduction.<LUKIE>
    I rep any post that deserves a rep according to my opinion, whether they are an evil person, nasty to me, if they are my friend, or whether (or not) I want them to stick around. I rep the post not the person. Otherwise there would be no way for a heavily neg repped person to dig themselves out of a hole. And neg-repping to gang up on people would be a more effective tool of the dark side. Yes, the rep I give a post attaches to the poster; it is like if I shop at Safeway I get airmiles per $ spent: but those airmiles are credited to the card I carry. (the airmiles being the rep, the card's account belonging the person who benefits from the reward: which happens to be the poster.) I have posted before about how being "in the hole" (meaning having large -rep" carries a stigma: sometimes brilliant work will be ignored because the person is at like -5 or worse. People don't want to shake the hand of the guy with aids. They do not like him or his religion or his right-wing politics and will not rep him however beneficial to the forum or however well-written his post is.

We have had a member or two who climbed out of a hole - that is - having a large minus rep score - by dint of persistence and no longer behaving badly and improving their behaviour - and not being pre-judged that they weren't wanted around the place. This repping the post not the person keeps things more objective and less - even if slightly less - of a popularity contest. Also consider that good posts improve the forum: the repping of people via their posts is an incentive to make good posts, no matter who a person is. The rep system is for the forum's ultimate benefit, and this benefit accords to the whole memberbase; it is only secondarily for the benefit of any individual. It is better I think to see 10 great posts get +2 each than one post get +20, assuming the one great one is not ten times better than each of the other 10 ones.

Let us ponder for a second the idea of redemption, the idea that one can become a better person, or atone for misdeeds. (I am not dragging Christianity into this, btw; this is bigger than that.) Some members start out of the gate poorly, making lousy posts, in terms of English and morals, and , yelling and screaming insults and pifffle; some propose poor raccoons may think of people as mere statistics, wounding them to their very core. But we allow people to shape up and "Go sin no more." We allow people to improve as members: we allow them to apologise, to improve their diction, and become good members according to the site's own definition. Sometimes previously well-behaved members, some senior and [possibly] no longer with us lose their tempers, or just become unstable, and make posts deserving of -rep; but we let those prodigal sons return to the fold, and atone by making stellar kitteh macroes or other worthy contributions. (I said I would not drag Christianity into this: I said nothing about the Bible.)

The members are supposed to benefit the forum more than the forum is meant to benefit any one member, the way the rep system is devised, and the way I believe it is meant to work. The benefit to a member is the forum itself and its quality; not the amount of rep they get; it is a measure of their contribution, it is not their reward, though there is overlap between the two. This is a fine point, I know, and if you wish you may stay after class to discuss it. Coffee and light snacks will be provided.

I'm not in the business of repping just because they're being warm and welcoming,
    I am.

http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html

Behavior towards other members:

1. Be nice, especially towards newbies!

The Reputation System

Positive reputation should be given only for especially good contributions to the site, irrespective of your own personal opinion on the matter discussed and of whether or not you consider the member a friend or an enemy. Examples include posts which:

1. demonstrate great kindness

otherwise any person could get a number of rep-points with nothing more than superficial "Hello!" posts to their name. I loath that and it makes me a little more distasteful about this place every time I see it occur.
    I said

the post is more than a mere "Hi - I am also a newbie!!" and is more than halfways deserving of a rep point <ME>

I too 'lax my standards when it comes to repping newbies, but I do it on a case-by-case basis.
    Yes, quite. The standards for repping, like in college get more stringent as you progress, and take higher level courses; else Moo would have meaninglessly huge amounts of rep.

Rep newbies for the same reasons you'd rep a regular or VIP here.
    That is what you and I both believe; they all get rep for the same reasons, and the same kind of reasons; just with different standards. If you prefer, think of it as holding everyone to the same standards, but newbies get 1 point, regs 1/2 point, VIP's 1/4 point for the same work. (see note at bottom)

Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    Was that a statement, or a question?

That's the general IDEA of rep... It's kinda like college. You're smart and a good student, you get through. You're a creep, and do bad things, and are a bad student, you don't get through, you get held back untill you change. Sure, the filter doesn't catch everyone, but most of the bad students don't get a degree... Same with rep. You're a good member, you make good posts, do good things? You get good rep. You act creepy, make creepy posts, do bad things [or lately, disagree with other opinionated members]? You get neg rep.
    No. Nope nope nope. No reward for being smart: rewards are for good work. I think you are confusing smart and ethical for a start, as you compare marks and rep. See, what defines creepy or good, for a member here? Pure subjectivity? This is why we have a rep system, because it is a reasonably objective way to measure subjective things. Otherwise I could be considered

act(ing) creepy, make creepy posts, do bad things [or lately, disagree with other opinionated members]
    for preaching things like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    I get to pick my own God, so do you. See Mormon article of faith #11 above. Any sincere worship is good worship; sincere atheism is just as valid. Look, if your kinship with white foxes is God-instilled, or at least God-approved, then His messengers to you would be as white foxes.
    Now here I must point out: that there is an ethical dimension to what constitutes a "good post" - that is to say while "ethically good" is neither here nor there, "Not ethically bad" is part of what constitutes a good post.

Example: a well-thought out, well-written post promoting capitalism or socialism may equally be called good; but a post exorting, encouraging, enabling or exacerbating BAD behaviour - such as hurting persons or sites or doing anything illegal - is considered a "bad post." from http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html

Thus, you only get VIP if you /deserve/ it.
    No, you get to VIP if your posts deserve it; you only get credit for making those posts, I should say posting those posts.

We can and do reply to things with posts of our own creation, quoting others, simple emoticons, kitty macroes, or anything else; if I replied with nothing but others' quotes, but made their meaning my own by putting them in a context, ie following the post they are in reply to, I might get +repped for POSTING a good post, not CREATING a good post; "MAKING" a good post is generally taken to include both meanings; but clearly there is no requirement to create original content - the originality is in the USE of the content, which may or may not include its creation. The medium is the message.

see, note my use of the laughy emoticon: not original content but imbued with meaning by my contextualizing it. Anyone pick up on that? Now don't be shy, raise your hands...

Rep isn't a feel-good everyone's-a-winner system. It's there for a reason: to show how contributive you are to the community
    Yes. Yup, yup, yup. I do not propose arbitrary handing out of rep. Nope, nope, nope. That would devalue it. But if there is a way that is easy to contribute to the community, why should it not be repped as much as the harder ways? The value of the contribution is the important thing: so what if everybody is a winner? Is that not a good, nay, great thing to achieve? I do not mean that everybody be simply be labelled a winner, but that everybody really BE a winner,by being given the opportunity and using it? Yes!! Let us have one way that is easy - even automatic - for everybody to do something good and worthwhile!!! High standards are NOT the same as difficulty!! You get as many marks on a multiple choice test for the easy question as the hard one!! (It must be thus because the question you find easy I may find hard and vice versa; the equal weight of the marks averages out the relative ease of the questions.)

I repeat: I propose repping NEWBIES - AS AND WHEN THEY GREET OTHER NEWBIES - with a cap on how many rep they may earn WHILE they are newbies: to encourage them to do so, but cap the reward for doing so, as to not devalue rep as a whole, including the rep people have already.

[or lately, how much you agree with others' opinions]

No, no, no. I can and do +rep people who make great posts disagreeing with me. Or great posts agreeing with me. This is for the greatness of the post not how strongly they agree or disagree with me. Note http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html

Positive reputation should be given only for especially good contributions to the site, irrespective of your own personal opinion on the matter discussed and of whether or not you consider the member a friend or an enemy

It's not a perfect filter, the rep system can still be cheated, but its' general purpose is to be both a positive and negative reinforcement learning system... You do good, you get rewarded. You do bad, you get punished.
    Yes. As long as "doing good' is defined as making good contributions, per the quality of the post (which includes "not doing bad, in a moral or ethical sense": it is not the rightness of the post, the but the helpfulness, truth, hilarity, and detail of the information, and any other virtuous characteristic mentioned in http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html

If we start letting new guys rep each other up to VIP, you see a problem? Let's say seven to ten trolls/troublemakers sign up. They all act normal, make good posts, 'meet each other', and get repped up by people who want rep to be a hand-out system. Now, they wait a week or two, and rep eacher up all at once. Now, they're a VIP, boom. Now they can do anything a VIP can! Look at that! And we just handed them the status because they all 'met each other'. See the fallacy behind the idea? Not that it wasn't a good impulse thought, but you've gotta analyze it. Thanks for trying, but I'll pass. =)
    I never said people should simply hand out rep to each other, I said we should rep newbies for greeting other newbies, so that, in your words,

its' [rep's]general purpose is to be both a positive and negative reinforcement learning system...

And, I can attest to be relatively new. When I had +0, I didn't feel like i was ENTITLED to be handed rep, just to make me feel better/more adequate. I knew that I'd have to work my way up into the community, just like, say, Darkfinn, and H3g3l, and others with a shit-ton and a half of rep.
    Entitled to be handed rep? No. Entitled to be given the opportunity to earn rep easily, for making the forum a better place: Yes. After you hit regular status, greeting newbies is no longer rep-worthy by itself. Then you earn rep any which way you can, within http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html - which btw I have elevated to the status of ADISC Scripture.

Nice irony. While H3g3l has been well and truly repped (properly and correctly and according to http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html and uncontroversially, Darkfinn has had many pos and neg rep: many of his rep were indeed controversial. And this was the cause for close examination of whether his rep were indeed for great posts or his particular opinions; whatever he has, has been thoroughly gone over by the staff, and I trust their judgement.

Did anyone hand THEM reputation, for example? No. They earned it. How did they do that? By proving themselves and proving that they are a positive and helpful member of the group,
    Well, yes and no. Not for

proving that they are a positive and helpful member of the group
    as such but for their posts' actual positivity and their posts' helpfulness; not for proving that they are a helpful and positive person.

To make this fine point a bit clearer: If I made a post (call it "P", say a poorly written one, detailing which ways I had been helpful, witty, and so on, that is to say deserving of rep for my previous good posts, "P" itself would prove how helpful and positive I had been, but would not itself merit rep. :it would not DEMONSTRATE how helpful and positive I am. But take "Q" - a life-saving, time-saving, informative and witty post: "Q" would warrant rep because it DEMONSTRATES I was positive and helpful. (sorry, link to "Q" unavailable: the search function neither will locate one-letter objects, nor will it locate hypothetical posts. I will complain in admin stuff about the latter failing. (Let us call that admin forum post "R.") (Oh, oh, I hear that if creating new forums is onerous to programmers, then creating search functions for hypothetical posts is doubly onerous.)

How did they do that? By proving themselves and proving that they are a positive and helpful member of the group
    Yes, but in the sense that they make good posts; not for being

a positive and helpful member of the group
    by some other nebulous and undefined standard of being good. Making good posts is the ONLY standard; not some vague and wooly thing about how good a person you are; because the DEFINITION of a "good person" with respect to rep is - and only is - the quality of your posts, as defined by Moo in http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html

...and earning their way up. And did I feel that I should be handed points? No. That wouldn't be right, it's essentially 'sympathy points'. Obviously you gotta start somewhere, so instead of giving these 'sympathy points', as I feel,
    What sympathy points?? At what point did I say people should get free rep? I did not. I said there should be a way to earn rep for doing genuine good that happened not to be difficult; you still have to do something to earn those points. And that something is: If you are a newbie, greet another newbie.

wouldn't it be better for them to start by helping out someone else, and getting reputation for their positive contributions?
    Yes, absolutely; Please see the original posts.

Did I feel/do I still feel inferior to those that have +1,000,000?
    Who has that many? Was that rhetorical? Is this question rhetorical?

Nope, it just means they've been here longer than me, and contributed more than me.
    No. Postcount does not corellate closely with repcount, other than upon registration, or prior. (Uh-oh, venturing now into metaphysics, as to what peoples' repcount/postcount was prior to registration.) Kaishen zoomed past 10 if memory serves me right within 2 weeks; Mysika/Nozomi has been around, here and TBDL, since way before my time there, and has 14 as of now, and

Rep is a matter of time and effort, not superiority. And, if they feel that since someone's been here 2 years and has +200 or something, that they're not as great, then they need to be considerate and understanding of the fact that reputation is earned through hard work and good deeds here

No, it is earned through making good posts. Now good posts are in themselves good deeds: or at least the act of posting them. Some posts may be considered to be clearly bad deeds: like advising people of the tallest building with easy roof access (and on their bus route) from which they may jump. (Though the jumper may consider the post a good deed and +rep it for being helpful, detailed and kind, before jumping.) http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html say

Do not promote self-destructive things, like self harm or drug use.

This includes discussing:

1. Unhealthy or dangerous methods used to 'go' in diapers.
    2. Taking drugs, or self harm.

Rep is a matter of time and effort, not superiority.
    No it is not. It is none of those three things. It is a measure - and only incidentally - a reward - for positive contributions to the site.

Rep is there to show how positively contributing of a member you are.
    YES

Please don't suggest we water it down.
    I NEVER DID

I feel that the shards of integrity that the rep system still has would thank you for it.
    The rep system is full of integrity, and is not nearly abused as much as some make out. Notice they only ever complain about the unfair NEGATIVE rep THEY got, not what anybody else got? And hardly ever does anybody point out the POSITIVE rep they did not deserve? I know of only one, and that person shall remain nameless.

Bottom line, I commend you for trying,
    Thank-you

but I feel, no.
    No to encouraging newbies to greet each other? Or to repping them for doing so?

So please, in detail, suggest your ideas on how to either make ADISC a tighter-knit community, or else feel like it is a tighter-knit community?

Oh. Right. The note. I said above that you may think of lax repping standards for the lower ranks being roughly equivalent to having the same standards for each rank (new, reg, VIP) but with successively lower amounts of rep per repping as you go up in rank: 1 point for newbies, 1/2 for regs, 1/4 for VIP's and so on. So if Moo were an infinite number of ranks above we mortals he would get infintesimal rep each time; his repcount does in fact go up non-trivially, though slowly: ergo Moo is a finite number of ranks above the rest of us. He is repped but only according to very very high standards indeed. So Moo is a finite God.
    Last edited by Raccoon; 30-Jul-2009 at 07:36.

EmeraldsAndLime

These rep threads are becoming ludicrous! I don't even know what's going on anymore.

I'm sorry Raccoon, but you're really ruining the good vibe I get from this site with persistent threads like this. Perhaps I should just avoid them in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    Was that a statement, or a question? [I'm serious, I don't get whether you were saying that's how it SHOULD happen, or whether you were asking if that's how it should be.]
    Obviously it was a sarcastic question. People should not stumble around in the dark; they should know exactly how to garner rep points: by following http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html And my suggestion in this thread was that: in addition to the guidance Moo gave us for earning rep, that opportunities for newbies to EASILY earn A FEW +rep - not too many -before they make it to 'regular' - by being nice to other newbies - is to the forum's benefit.

See the fallacy behind the idea? You've gotta analyze it.
    Thank-you very much for that quote: that is my very next sig quote when I tire of the present one. - any time I am blue I only have to see that quote and I will perk right up. You made a positive and helpful contribution right there Your +1 rep is in the mail. This quote is not only wholly on point as a statement, but in context, is hilarious.

Oh, I just read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    These rep threads are becoming ludicrous! I don't even know what's going on anymore.

I'm sorry Raccoon, but you're really ruining the good vibe I get from this site with persistent threads like this. Perhaps I should just avoid them in the future?
    First: apology accepted. John 8:11 Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

So. Detailed posts are ludicrous? Let me refer you to http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html

Positive reputation should be given... for... posts which:
    2. explain something in great detail and contain a lot of wisdom or valuable insights (even if you disagree with the points put forward)
    4. are exceptionally funny
    IMHO "exceptionally funny" = what makes ME LOL.

I think you mean the persistent discussion of the rep system in all its splendor. Which you might - please confirm or deny - confuse with complaining about that system: which I was not doing. I happen to enjoy the rep system and think it is very good; my idea in this thread was not to modify the rep system but to put it to good use. Those are quite different things.

Now if you would, please explain what it is that wrecks the vibe. If my post in any way broke the rules, you might neg-rep me - with a detailed explanation of why the post deserved neg rep. Which I shall not challenge: on the contrary, I shall frame it and admire it, and repost it (repeatedly)

If you would please be explicit about the nature of threads you wish not to read, I shall be happy to put an advisory at the top for you. And also anyone else making posts that wreck the vibe for you; my pleasure should not come at the expense of yours.

So that would be posts in any way shape or form to do with the rep system? Long posts? Philosophical posts? Preachy posts? Posts involving theology? Posts with jokes along the lines of

"I am not dragging Christianity into this... this is bigger than that?"
    Or simply in situations where I have had things recklessly misattributed to me, and I have been generally misunderstood (Free rep: pffft) and set the record straight?

Frankly I come to ADISC to have fun. Which includes helping people and trying to improve the site, in this case by increasing its feeling like a tight-knit community, by having more people get to know more people, and sooner, specifically by encouraging newbies to be kind to other newbies, and earning a few rep in the process quickly and easily (but not without merit) thereby increasing THEIR fun. This is an anti-elitist use of the rep system.

I have said before that to evaluate how, if at all the rep system should function, and how if at all it can be improved, we must know what it is supposed to do; I believe I have described a way to have it fulfill its purpose: to incentivise good posting.

My fun also includes making posts of the nature of those I put in this thread. I am regretful (not sorry :P) if my fun spoilt your fun. If we work together on this matter I am sure we can come up with ways not to diminish your fun.

Perhaps you could make a thread in administrative stuff detailing the nature of threads designed not to ruin your vibe; and I shall follow your admonishments to the letter or put in place the advisory already described. You have but to say the word.
    Last edited by Raccoon; 30-Jul-2009 at 08:36.