Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox rrod

Default Xbox rrod

I am out an Xbox now. I was playing Call Of Duty online this morning and it started saying it could not read the disc so I restarted it. It never made it to the dashbored.

I'm most likely just going to fork out the money for a brand new one instead of a used one

Doesn't Microsoft still fix this issue for free? Anyways I heard the new 360's that come with the "Jasper" CPU are very less prone to suffering from the RROD.

I bought it used and had it moded to play burned games dought they will fix it.

If you modded it to play the games. You should of modded it to prevent this..,.

Falkio

Default Don't trust Microsoft

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Doesn't Microsoft still fix this issue for free? Anyways I heard the new 360's that come with the "Jasper" CPU are very less prone to suffering from the RROD.
    Yes, but you will get it back in a week with a bullshit legal disclaimer detailing "why you're not entitled to a repair under our policy".

I recommend doing it yourself. Its easier than people think, I promise!

If you know about PC hardware, then this should go pretty smoothly. The internals are a lot different, so just a heads up, but the parts are essentially the same. Everything is on-board (no expansion cards or RAM) and it has two GPU's you will need to clean. The theory is that the thermal paste "leaks", and causes a short. The Xbox will report a hardware error and video output will cease. The RRoD is covered under a warranty for a free fix, but the stipulations are very specific. You might just get it back without an explanation, containing a nice letter from Microsoft. Who knows? That didn't do me any good. There is an $11.00 kit on ebay to fix RRoD. It comes with plastic spacers, some screws, a screwdriver, and something else.

Here is the gist of it. The steps are pretty simple:

1.) Remove the faceplate
    2.) Use a small screwdriver to pop the covers off
    3.) Pull off the side panel
    4.) Begin removing components until you reach the system board
    5.) Remove it, the heat sinks, and anything else in the way.
    6.) Clean the GPU's. Add thermal paste. Remount the board using the kit.
    7.) Turn on the console without the fan to "cook".
    8.) If you see green. You're good to go! Reassemble and enjoy.

There is like, a 90% success rate for kit repairs. I am going to do one for my friends Xbox.

Repair Kit
    RRoD Fix

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, just PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    I bought it used and had it moded to play burned games dought they will fix it.
    Well of course they won't you void the warranty by modding it.

Anyways you could always try the towel trick or even go as far to replace whatever part is busted. As for getting a PS3 for reliability, a gaming PC would be better since it has most of the same games as the 360 and it would be a awesome computer in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkio View Post
    Yes, but you will get it back in a week with a bullshit legal disclaimer detailing "why you're not entitled to a repair under our policy".

I recommend doing it yourself. Its easier than people think, I promise!

If you know about PC hardware, then this should go pretty smoothly. The internals are a lot different, so just a heads up, but the parts are essentially the same. Everything is on-board (no expansion cards or RAM) and it has two GPU's you will need to clean. The theory is that the thermal paste "leaks", and causes a short. The Xbox will report a hardware error and video output will cease. The RRoD is covered under a warranty for a free fix, but the stipulations are very specific. You might just get it back without an explanation, containing a nice letter from Microsoft. Who knows? That didn't do me any good. There is an $11.00 kit on ebay to fix RRoD. It comes with plastic spacers, some screws, a screwdriver, and something else.

Here is the gist of it. The steps are pretty simple:

1.) Remove the faceplate
    2.) Use a small screwdriver to pop the covers off
    3.) Pull off the side panel
    4.) Begin removing components until you reach the system board
    5.) Remove it, the heat sinks, and anything else in the way.
    6.) Clean the GPU's. Add thermal paste. Remount the board using the kit.
    7.) Turn on the console without the fan to "cook".
    8.) If you see green. You're good to go! Reassemble and enjoy.

There is like, a 90% success rate for kit repairs. I am going to do one for my friends Xbox.

Repair Kit
    RRoD Fix

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, just PM me.
    correction, turn on the console with the fan ONLY on the CPU to cook the GPU. It'll keep the overheat failsafe from triggering, thus allowing the GPU to reflow the BGA cold solder joints, instead of getting hot but not hot enough, and then shutting off because the CPU failsafe overheated.

Quote Originally Posted by ajsco View Post
    *coughs* get a PS3!!
    *coughs again* more reliable!!
    Yes, do get a 500 dollar interactive blu-ray player! They're much more expensive, even more bulky, so you can use them to keep the oodles of cash you must apparently have [since you can afford a PS3] from blowing away, and don't have awesome games such as [for one], the biggest reason to have a 360, Halo 3! Plus, it plays DVD's on steroids! And, you get to install games to it! Every time you want to play a new one, install it! How fun is that? :sarcasm:

Either way. Yeah. There is a fix.

Also, never towel bake. That's a dangerous idea that only patches the problem temporarily, if it doesn't create more in the process, instead of fixing the true problem [the X-Clamps]. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

Falkio

Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    correction, turn on the console with the fan ONLY on the CPU to cook the GPU. It'll keep the overheat failsafe from triggering, thus allowing the GPU to reflow the BGA cold solder joints, instead of getting hot but not hot enough, and then shutting off because the CPU failsafe overheated.
    Well then...

Don't you think he'd catch these fine details in the research process before doing anything to his console? (assuming he was responsible about it). If you seriously attempted a repair with just my advice, then you're probably going to fail.

Nobody ever takes what I say with a grain of salt.

Yeah, there's a nice guide on Llamma.com about this. Interestingly enough, I just picked up a RRoD console for $20 today, and with 7 bucks worth of parts, I repaired it in about an hour... Playing Halo 3 on it now [as a test, I already own one 360.] On a related note, anyone wanna buy a 360?