Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Default Quitting Smoking

I've been smoking now for about a year and a half, and I've decided (again) that I want to quit. Obviously I haven't succeeded before, but I hope I can this time. I just feel like crap all the time, and I get out of breath really easily. I still have about 20 left, so I'll just keep them in the house somewhere so I don't buy anymore. So yeah... I'm starting NOW.

There. I've said it. I've quit. My last cigarette was at 10:33am British Summer Time, Friday 24th July 2009.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Feel free to share your own quitting stories to inspire me

Also, I don't really want to see posts made by non-smokers listing the health benefits of quitting. I can look those up

Dude84

Quote Originally Posted by Arlikra View Post
    I've been smoking now for about a year and a half, and I've decided (again) that I want to quit. Obviously I haven't succeeded before, but I hope I can this time. I just feel like crap all the time, and I get out of breath really easily. I still have about 20 left, so I'll just keep them in the house somewhere so I don't buy anymore. So yeah... I'm starting NOW.

There. I've said it. I've quit. My last cigarette was at 10:33am British Summer Time, Friday 24th July 2009.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Feel free to share your own quitting stories to inspire me

Also, I don't really want to see posts made by non-smokers listing the health benefits of quitting. I can look those up
    As I said on MSN, good luck :-)

I'm sure you can do it - I have before, although obviously it didn't "hold through"; still, I 'blame' resuming smoking on exceptional circumstances which I hope and expect will never happen again.

Just beware of the keeping some nearby to avoid buying them idea; i've tried that before. Once, I hid them somewhere, then got really stressed and decided to do some cleaning. I found them [unintentionally] then smoked them. >.>

Aside from the health benefits, think of the money benefits.

You said you smoked about seven a day. So, based on a 365 day year [2,555 cigarettes], at the "Sainsburys" rate of 5.83 per 20, that equates to a saving of 744.79 per year. :-D :-O

Peachy

Should you make it to Manchester after all, I'll make sure to confiscate all smokes you have until the meet is over. Maybe then you'll get them back

Either way, good luck! I heard it's not easy

Peachy

I still have about 20 left, so I'll just keep them in the house somewhere so I don't buy anymore. So yeah... I'm starting NOW.

No quitting story to share, but I'm waiting for a post saying that you've lit one up. Nicotine is harder to kick than Heroin; granted, there's no needle-high with smoking, but there are a TON of surrounding behaviors, people, and habits that go along with the smoking itself.

If you smoke considerably more in the pub or at social functions, you may want to steer clear for a week or two while you adjust to not having a smoke. Again, look at the surrounding behaviors, people, and habits that accompany your smoking--if you fall right back into them, you'll light up a cigarette, I'm sure.

You might be able to distract yourself from smoking by studying up on bench chemistry or another science. Or, hell, learn a language online. Either way, free time--in which you can look at your hands and notice they seem REALLY empty--is not your friend right now.

Mesmerale

I've got a friend at work who's trying to quit too, mostly because he doesn't have the money for it. xD

He told me that the amount of time before nicotine leaves your system is three days, so the first three days are the worst and then, if you can make it smoke-free for those three days, it gets a lot easier.

~~~

If it's anything like the horrible-ness of fasting on that god-damned Jewish holiday, Yom Kippur, I suggest sleeping most of those three days away.

Thanks for the replies ^_^

Markdude: Never thought about the money Assuming I don't shop at Sainsbury's (which is correct), 20 Luckies cost me 5.72. I think I have been smoking about 60 per week, which equates to a saving of 892.32 per year. That is easily enough for a holiday

Peachy: heh... thanks unfortunately I'm not coming

h3g3l: (I can't believe I just tried to tab your name o.o) that's a pretty good idea, I would like to learn a language actually. Any particular sites that you recommend?

Mes: I've managed more than three days a couple of times, and the first 3 didn't really seem any harder to me.

I've gone 5 hours so far, but I have just been asleep for a couple. I did want a smoke when I woke up, but that craving has now subsided. The bad news is I am working in the shop tonight, and I usually smoke a lot at work, so I imagine tonight will be hard. Still, I'll do my best and let you know how it goes

I wish you the best of luck.
    I've wanted to quit for a long time, and have a few times, but started again.
    It's better to quit now, keep strong, less time smoking makes for much less of a habit to overcome.
    Time flies quick, soon you look back and say wow I've been smoking for 25 yrs. Not a good thing.

I never really smoked much at all though I did buy a pack once. The day after all of them were gone I had a slight craving for another one. Thankfully I knew the risks and did not have the money to support the addiction.

Either way good luck and when ever you feel the need recall why your quitting and why you don't need them.

h3g3l: (I can't believe I just tried to tab your name o.o) that's a pretty good idea, I would like to learn a language actually. Any particular sites that you recommend?
    I hear you on tab-completion. It's a really nice feature that's difficult to shake.

I think that livemocha has the right idea with online language learning; huge community, reasonable lessons, plenty of choices ... it is the site I would recommend.

Mesmerale

[. . .]

Mes: I've managed more than three days a couple of times, and the first 3 didn't really seem any harder to me.

I've gone 5 hours so far, but I have just been asleep for a couple. I did want a smoke when I woke up, but that craving has now subsided. The bad news is I am working in the shop tonight, and I usually smoke a lot at work, so I imagine tonight will be hard. Still, I'll do my best and let you know how it goes
    Oh, okay then. ^_^

Never accused myself of being knowledgeable about this, did I?

~~~

I suggest leaving the smokes at home then, and just hoping that the guys at work don't offer you any. *nod nod*