Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have I really consumed this much water? [Oh, and part one of markdude has no life >.>]

Dude84

Default Have I really consumed this much water? [Oh, and part one of markdude has no life >.>]

I recently received a water bill, such a lovely occasion this was. Anyway, that is not what has been perplexing me since.

What is perplexing me is that I have apparently used/consumed 7,000 litres of water in five weeks. I am a single person living in a one-bedroom flat, which has a shower only (no bath) and lacks a washing machine, never mind a dishwasher.

I have read that a ten minute shower uses two-hundred litres of water [O.O] and that brushing one's teeth uses about eight - I can't accept this being true in my case, as I use an electric toothbrush and only run the water for a couple of seconds intermittently to rinse it - together with flushing the toilet requiring sixteen litres of water [O.O] and washing the "pots" about seven also [O.O].

Admittedly, I really don't have a life otherwise I wouldn't be starting a thread about a water bill, but how is this possible? Such "consumption" equates to over 1,000 litres of water per week.

So... does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you know how much water you consume? Do you ever read your water bill or do you just pay it by direct debit and swear when you receive the paperwork to inform you how much you are about to be charged?

Any input appreciated. *Blushes at apparent lack of having a life*.

Last month I used 490 gallons of water, or about 1850 liters. I'm single and live alone in an apartment with a dishwasher, full bath (though I only use it for showering so far), and washer/dryer.

So uh, yeah . To be fair, I was out of town for probably 2 weeks of that. So consider it 1850 liters for two weeks, I guess.

I try to be pretty resource-conscious, but I mean I'm not going overbaord doing it, so I dunno.

I also recently received a nice letter from my friends Severn Trent, according to it I've used 20000litres in 200days, 100L/day!

Shocking.

Similar to markdude, I'm on my own - 2 bed appartment, no dishwasher, shower etc..

Admittingly I have a shower at least once I day, but no more than 10minutes a time. Washing machine is used once/twice a fortnight; I don't constantly run the water when I'm cleaning my teeth; the dish washing gets done every other day or so.

I much prefer my summer gas bills, less than 5/quarter!

You should come live in Scotland, we only have to pay 82 a year (flat rate), and you can use as much as you want

It's riduculous that you should pay so much for water - WE'RE A GODDAMN ISLAND!!!

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by ajsco View Post
    You should come live in Scotland, we only have to pay 82 a year (flat rate), and you can use as much as you want

It's riduculous that you should pay so much for water - WE'RE A GODDAMN ISLAND!!!
    I wanna see you drinking a tea made from the water your island is floating in.
    Besides, how's that 82 quid-a-year type of water delivered in Scotland? Via clouds?

Oh, and if you shower 5 times a week at 200 liters per shower, you've already racked up the 1,000 liters a week, mark. That doesn't account for tea, brushed teeth or washed pots/pans.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by ajsco View Post

Delivery costs 1p.

It's the desalination that costs the remaining amount.

If memory serves, desalination is a really good option... if you can afford the up-front costs of building a desalination plant. Here in the USA, we may not have a choice for much longer, as we've dropped the water table an incredible amount in the past ~20 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Oh, and if you shower 5 times a week at 200 liters per shower, you've already racked up the 1,000 liters a week, mark. That doesn't account for tea, brushed teeth or washed pots/pans.
    Aha! Tea! There's your missing water, Mark.

Check around for a leaky toilet or dripping sink as well. It may not seem like much, but it can add up.

Just be glad you don't have a yard to maintain. I can easily go through several thousand gallons a month just trying to keep it alive in July and August.

Darkfinn

If you think you are using too much water... go find your water meter. If there is nothing on in the house then the meter really shouldn't be spinning. If it is spinning, you may have a leak.

There are plenty of way to reduce the amount of water you use.

First, check everything for leaks, just a drip adds up to a lot of water over time.
    Second, make sure all faucets have low flow water restrictors on them, and install a low flow shower head.
    Third, displace some water in the toilet tank, try filling a two liter pop bottle with water and place it in the tank where it will not interfere with the flush valve.

Saving water doesn't cost very much, and clean potable water is a rare thing in a lot of the world, so less going down the drain is a good thing.

Watch the water use and see if your water consumption goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindhca View Post
    Saving water doesn't cost very much, and clean potable water is a rare thing in a lot of the world, so less going down the drain is a good thing.
    This is a good point; something I know that I've discussed (IRC? Skype?) in the past few months.

Why do toilets not use "grey water" but instead favor potable water? Frankly, I don't think my turds require fresh, clean water in which to bathe nearly as much as I do.