Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Invasive baby-product obsession?

Elli

Default Invasive baby-product obsession?

If I ask, 'Does anyone else have an obsession with baby items?' on an AB forum, that might seem a bit of a no-brainer, but I mean...Who else has a fascination such that they almost dislike the subject because it causes them difficulties and hardwork? Allow me to explain:

I am almost like a human encyclopedia with baby products and toys sold in the UK. If I were to work in 'Mothercare' or 'Babies 'r' Us' I'd be in my element. Thing is though, everytime I see a new product I 'have' to upload it into my mental bank of knowledge on the subject. There are two times of year when this is particularly poignant; when the summer catalogues are released, and when the winter catalogues are released. These are like newpapers with newsflash worthy news, I get them and study every new item. I love to see a new product or new design, but at the same time it's harder work fitting it into my mental inventory.

I also notice every pram and stroller in the street. I'm not interested in the child, just the product design and I actually don't mean to notice them, I just find myself noticing! The obsession could easily, and has on times, got the better of me. I have to keep it in check. It can alienate or confuse people who know me. I own a few products and over the years I have painstakingly scrap-booked every baby item pic I could get my hands on, even picking up two catalogues in case there were pics I wanted on both sides of the same page. I am really interested in the design of the products and how they compare and have developed.

I could say more about my exploits, but I fear a zero reply count if I go on much more! But to summarise; baby products have always been an strangely deep interest, even through childhood, but it took off into an all out obsession until it became a sore subject and I pulled it back and now keep it under control. Anyone else relate? Am I talking about a different issue to ABism here? Or do many people here manage this sort of thing?

as with any compulsive behavior (if you think it is. it sounds like it is)you need to ask yourself:
    first: am I happy with my life?
    second: is this causing disruption in my life?

if both those are no than you dont really have a problem? we all have our little kink and that is especially true for our community.

but if it is a disruption and you find yourself wanting to stop this compulsion which you almost hinted to you may want to try to divert yourself when you come into contact with the said items.

I, like you, like baby stuff and wish I had the guts to do what you do in even getting the catalogs and I have looked at items like strollers like you wishing I could be the kid in them. i am more than happy to discuss this with you if you need someone to talk to

bottom line can you still function in society tho the extent that you want to function in society?

happy to help

(that dude with the long screen name)
    me

Get a job makeing baby items catalogs. then your obession and job will coinside. Because if you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life.

^_^

Elli

Usually the obsession is kept at a reasonable background level where it doesn't interfere, but it would be very easy (yet undesirable) to let it go. As BabyGundamMeister7 mentioned, I have had to assess the compulsion and the balance between being true to myself and being more compatible with society.

I'm no longer troubled by it though, that time has passed pretty much, I'm more looking at it in interest now and wondering if this is common to ABism. I have many catalogues, magazines and I own some larger baby items such as a stroller and travel cot but it doesn't completely take over. And I agree, Kokuei, if I could work in that field, I would never do a day's work! Too right!

Elli, your OP could very well have been written by me for the mostpart. I've always taken note of changes in baby products, particularly from early adulthood on. Every time a new Montgomery Ward/Sears/JC Penney dept. store catalog came out I would go right for the baby section to see what's new/changed. Once I was driving I could check them out for myself in stores. Some changes in more recent years I don't care much for as an AB because the changes make it harder for me to fit into the item as an adult. The older baby gear and furnishings were much more AB friendly IMO. One exception, though, is strollers and prams. I can fit into a 2009 model stroller just as well as a 1969 model. I try not to do more than a couple quick glances at interesting strollers I see out in public. I would never want to give mom any reason for concern because some stranger is staring at her stroller. That's where being a female has a definite advantage. I could look all I wanted and the mother would think it was perfectly normal for another woman to be admiring her baby and stroller.

~Pramrider

i think we all geek out over something. lately i've been obsessively learning new fiddle tunes; i probably know thousands of them, and every time someone at a jam plays a tune i've never heard i just have to learn how to play it. soon i'll know every tune that's played in my area. i spend all my free time practicing. it's definitely an obsession, but it's a happy obsession! ^.^

I can't say that i have, but that's partially because i don't get those opportunities with baby stuff.

An obsession or a compulsion, all by itself, is not a problem; nor a fetish for that matter. Most mental health issues come down to a happy medium: extremes of laziness, or workaholism are bad; same with being persuaded too easily, or being too set in one's ways.

My mind constantly wants to play; I can not use a thing without seeing ways it could be improved, or in rare cases, simply admiring it as perfect and wanting to write the manufacturer, telling them so. So, yeah, I am a compulsive seeker and noticer. And former collector. Because I am so busy noticing certain kinds of things, I miss others; it is a new and quite nice experience, say, to be a passenger; with my eyes not glued to the road or my mirrors, I get to see cute gals at bus stops.

You might talk to the trainspotters, the birdwatchers, or even me, with my 30-odd Uriah Heep record collection, including Japanese and Spanish pressings of Salisbury.
    Last edited by Raccoon; 26-Jul-2009 at 11:37.

Elli

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    I try not to do more than a couple quick glances at interesting strollers I see out in public. I would never want to give mom any reason for concern because some stranger is staring at her stroller. That's where being a female has a definite advantage. I could look all I wanted and the mother would think it was perfectly normal for another woman to be admiring her baby and stroller.~Pramrider
    Yeah, same. I try to take only one or two quick looks, just as you might look round at anything in the street. And agreed about being female helps - I can't expect them to understand my obsession with strollers but there is an assumption I'm just admiring in a maternal sense.

Hey Pramrider, have you noticed the different trends between UK and USA strollers? Both have all sorts of kinds, but I think the UK might have 'umbrella fold' types (a.k.a. buggies) while the USA have more traditional four-wheel-with-bumper-bar types. Do you know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by xChasex View Post
    I can't say that i have, but that's partially because i don't get those opportunities with baby stuff.
    Much of my browsing is via store catalogues and the web. Often it's stores that have a nursery department in their catalogues but sell many other sorts of things too, such as Argos (UK) or Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    My mind constantly wants to play; I can not use a thing without seeing ways it could be improved, or in rare cases, simply admiring it as perfect and wanting to write the manufacturer, telling them so. So, yeah, I am a compulsive seeker and noticer.
    I like the way you put this and I relate entirely. Seeker and noticer...Cool!
    Last edited by Elli; 26-Jul-2009 at 11:51. Reason: Asked a question