Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i think its time for rugby in america

Default i think its time for rugby in america

with soccer (football) barely making a dent except for world popularity and most major sports growing stale or going under (thanks to the suck of the NHL) i think it's time that we gave professional, televised rugby a chance. i would have more to say but i've got to go out and it just popped into my head. what do you guys think?

Rugby? I thought it's the same as American football, minus the padding.

I heard that our national German soccer league is trying to get a contract to televise German soccer games on American TV. Soccer is, at least, way more known and popular than Rugby on a global scale.

I would think cricket would be more known than rugby. Although I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch it! This is how the game was explained to me (and I'm assured that it is 100% accurate)!

"You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game."

Not a big cricket fan? How about LaCrosse? It's rather 'big' in Canada (being our national sport 'n all!) and is picking up around the world, too!

hehehe...the best part of that was I laughed hysterically without even watchin' it...I knew from the image that it was Abbot & Costello's "Who's on First?" sketch. I LOVE that one! Thanks!

Rugby is awesome! I loved playing it at school, you get so hurt but you feel good about it. It's the one time at school you can hurt people you don't like and get respect for it!

I doubt it would catch on in the USA because it seems too much like American football. People here make fun of Americans for being so soft that they have to play "rugby" with loads of padding.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Rugby? I thought it's the same as American football, minus the padding.
    No where near like NFL. Rugby in New Zealand is a everyday sport, I mean growing up here, if you didn't play rugby you were concided as gay,

Rugby is a game that requires only 17 players unlike the NFL were there are 2 teams in one. offence and defence..

Wiki has a great low-down on rugby Here

There is a Lesser contact sport also played, called 'Rugby League', instead of the Scrum (where the guy goes down and then covered by other players trying to get the ball) the player would be tackled and then rise to his feet to roll (with foot) the ball between his legs on the ground - The Team can be tackled a total of 6 times before a handover is called, during the 6 times of course the team is trying to get over the goal line to get a 'try' most of the time on the 5th tackle the player would try for a feild goal or kick it out of touch (out of the lines on the side of the feild) to push back the other teams.

i love rugby its a gr8 game but there is rugby in america the USA was in the rugby world cup its just that because that u all play american football u didnt notice rugby because u dont have a very gd team (no offence)lol :P its like the ireland criket team until we started doing gd at the game nobody knew we had a international team then all of a sudden if u didnt watch the criket games ur a idiot lol :P

I'm really not a big sports person, but I don't watching some sports.

Rugby is okay, Cricket is just an excuse to sit around for 5 days drinking beer and hanging out with mates. Baseball is where it's at. I really like watching the game.

As for American Football... well, I don't see how it's a sport when they do 5 seconds of work, then 5 minutes of standing around, 5 seconds of work, 5 minutes of standing around...

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    Cricket is just an excuse to sit around for 5 days drinking beer and hanging out with mates.
    Amen Brother!! haha