Thread: "...and that's the way it is" Walter Cronkite 1916-2009

Default "...and that's the way it is" Walter Cronkite 1916-2009

I remember seeing him every evening, while playing with my Legos in the family room as Dad watched the CBS Evening news. Always the objective, and trusting anchor, millions of viewers watched "Uncle Walter" deliver the news with an aire of professionalism that seems lost upon the media today

Godspeed Mr. Cronkite. You were the yardstick by which the news will always be measured.

Walter Cronkite, 4, Nov, 1916- 17, July, 2009
    Last edited by DHLA40; 18-Jul-2009 at 02:48.

Quote Originally Posted by DHLA40S View Post
    I remember seeing him every evening, while playing with my Legos in the family room as Dad watched the CBS Evening news. Always the objective, and trusting anchor, millions of viewers watched "Uncle Walter" deliver the news with an aire of professionalism that seems lost upon the media today

Godspeed Mr. Cronkite. You were the yardstick by which the news will always be measured.

Walter Cronkite, 4, Nov, 1916- 17, July, 2009
    Son of a ...

So now we have semi-literate* idiots to pick up his mantle? Hm. Again, the world got a bit more uncomfortable.

*Yes, I know exactly what's involved in the "anchor" position. It is more than just reading the tele-prompter; you also have an earpiece and have to take direction and time things correctly. A friend of mine has a sister-in-law who was (maybe still is) an anchor for a couple big stations. All the same, it's embarrassing when they trip all over the words and take a few runs at it.

This is depressing that's what now 7 celebs dead?

It's a shame to see him go. :rip:

:/ I thought he was all ready dead. R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by stonemask55 View Post
    :/ I thought he was all ready dead. R.I.P.
    Kind of like Abe Vigoda, right? lol.

Walter Cronkite used to also host his own historical show called "The 20th Century" during the 1950s and early '60s. It came on Sunday evening around 6:00PM.

Have to admit, I also thought he had passed away years ago. Hope I can live as long a life as he did. RIP, Mr. Cronkite.

~Pramrider

A real loss to the world.

Too bad he'll be remembered for but a day before the media goes back to OMG MICHEAL JACKSON!!!11!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    A real loss to the world.

Too bad he'll be remembered for but a day before the media goes back to OMG MICHEAL JACKSON!!!11!!!!
    Indeed. I had the same sympathy towards Farrah Fawcett after MJ died later that day. Her career seemed more like a sharing of her talent and beauty, and spanned many years without much negative publicity.

Michael was an excellent singer and dancer, but those wares were ultimately overshadowed by the freakish results of his plastic surgeries, the legal problems, and how every move he made, and thing he did got spun negatively, and pumped out by the tabloid media.

Farrah Fawcett deserved honorable and respectful rememberance, Instead of the fifteen minutes she was afforded by the news prior to Jackson's death.