Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catheters vs. Diapers

Default Catheters vs. Diapers

I've been thinking, will catheters someday replace diapers or am I just paranoid?

No, I will admit I had a Catheter put in one time (medical reason) and it the worst thing ever. Even with others view of diapers I will put money on

1) no doctor would let a person choice a catheter over a diaper, it better to have something catch the wetting then to put a object into the body, putting something in the body is always worse then something to catch.

2) it is uncomfortable, even with the medication prescribed to decrease the pain, it still hurts. No person in their right mind would pick a catheter over a diaper, no mater how much you demonize diapers.

Trust me a few years ago i had a blockage that made it so I could not pee, and they put a catheter in, and I am still not sure what was worse the pain of the over filled bladder or the catheter.

Xboxbaby

Yeah Catheters are bad. Usually when your have one you don't have a choice between diapers or a catheter. As babyboy said, painful. I personally haven't had one and hopefully never will but I have talked to people who have. Not good!

Definitely not. If anything, things will stay the same, but with improvements in each. Such as catheters that are more comfortable, with a lower (or no) risk of an infection. Diapers will become more absorbent, and more discrete, to the dismay of *B/DL's. This probably won't be happening in most of our generation though. That's how I see things happening.

Elli

I wonder whether catheters are worse for guys? But I doubt they are anywhere near pleasant for anyone. I have wondered though, if you have a catheter for whatever reason, do you just never feel a need to pee the whole time it's in because it just drains out constantly? Is it actually like induced incontinence?

I've heard that there used to be a type of catheter, used in hospitals, where the end wasn't attached to a bag but actually had a cap which could be undone to drain the bladder when needed, as a sort of artificial way of going for a pee. I always thought this would be awesome for women in the army! Because they could pee like a man!! Ok, out loud this sounds crazy. But, then again, maybe not so crazy; have you heard of the shewee? A device to let women pee like men. The creators mentioned in their marketing that women in the army had to put camouflage paint on their butts as well as their face, to remain fully hidden while taking a leak in the bushes!! Hmm...and army issue camo diapers might not give a very tough, fearless image, huh?

Different uses. Catheters are more for medical procedures than for everyday use. However, they can be used everyday, but if they are in constantly they will eventually lead to an infection. And diapers aren't just for pee. Colostomies are serious surgical procedures. A diaper can never be replaced for that particular purpose.

I would put my money on them never replacing diapers. From what I have read, they just sound too painful and too high risk for infection. As others have said both items will just improve, but I don't foresee any of them replacing one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    I wonder whether catheters are worse for guys? But I doubt they are anywhere near pleasant for anyone. I have wondered though, if you have a catheter for whatever reason, do you just never feel a need to pee the whole time it's in because it just drains out constantly? Is it actually like induced incontinence?
    I can tell you, other then the pain of it going in and coming out, and the pain that you have after it comes out and you go normally (and mind you this is with the medication to lubricate your tube, and turns your pee all orange). You don't feel your bladder full as it just flows out as it comes out, I was kind of shocked how fast the bag filled up. But still I would not want to repeat it. I would have to have a real major medical issue to accept it again. I am sorry it just not worth it unless not having it has a chance of really doing major damage to my body, as it itself can damage my body, and it is very unpleasant, plus I am very shy about that part of my body, and it was unpleasant to have a nurse put it in. The only good thing I can say about it, was when it was put in, was that it was medically needed and that I could have damaged my kidneys if I did not take it (as I said I had a blockage) that the only good thing I can say about it, every thing else I can say is negative. I really hated it and don't want to go though it ever again. Just unpleasant in all aspects.

Most of the time catheters are used because the bladder can't drain properly. This is to protect against kidney reflux. So there's really no worries about it replacing diapers.

I have had a brief experience with a catheter, while not painful, it wasn't great either. The constant feeling of having to pee (worse than usual, yeah) and having the feeling of it tugging and stuff just made things feel too foreign to be enjoyable. It was little less than 24 hours the two times I've tried, and both times I let drain straight into the diaper. The feeling of constant leakage was interesting, but I'd rather leave things the way they are. Small wettings are MUCH better than drip drip drip drip...

ive never had a catheter in but i have been diapered in hospital when i had a surgery once ^_^
    Even if catheters seem to not be comfortable i would still not mind trying it at least once