Thread: Violence towards emergency service personnel - Debate

Default Violence towards emergency service personnel - Debate

Check out this thread (regulars+) for experiences. (is this a problem in your area) This thread is more about “What should be done about this?”

This is becoming a big problem in the Netherlands, Ambulance being beat up and threatened and a lot of other things. Recently there has been a new law accepted here that makes it the punishments harder and easier to prosecute (I don’t know how it’s easier but I do know that if the DA uses this law in the prosecution the max and min sentences are doubled)

While I think this is a step in the right direction the DA should use this law a lot more. And the min and max sentences are very low as it is so I think those should be higher in general.

What’s your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Check out this thread (regulars+) for experiences. (is this a problem in your area) This thread is more about “What should be done about this?”

This is becoming a big problem in the Netherlands, Ambulance being beat up and threatened and a lot of other things. Recently there has been a new law accepted here that makes it the punishments harder and easier to prosecute (I don’t know how it’s easier but I do know that if the DA uses this law in the prosecution the max and min sentences are doubled)

While I think this is a step in the right direction the DA should use this law a lot more. And the min and max sentences are very low as it is so I think those should be higher in general.

What’s your opinion?
    Ambulance, police, fire, and any "civil servant" should not have to put up with physical assault.

If one interferes with emergency (ambulance, police, fire) personnel, they should be held financially and criminally accountable. Prison time on the second infraction (maybe 2-4 weeks), and hefty fines and prison time on the third go-round.

These folks do, frankly, the scut-work in society and they're not well paid. Would I want to get shot at for $30K/year? Hell no. But that is really out of the control of police departments. Having to deal with civilians who physically interfere with investigations and/or crime scenes is something that IS within the control of a department.

Only recently has Arizona billed idiots who try to drive through flooded washes and gullies. If you drive your car through 5' of muddy water and have to be rescued, you're given a bill--and made to look a right prat on the news. I support these initiatives.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Would I want to get shot at for $30K/year? Hell no. .
    i just had to check the pay rates for a US/UK comparison and........i wanna be a Yank!!!!
    i'm a manual worker and in the UK the civil services described are usually paid
    a very good deal more than the likes of me. so, within that context i'll say that if a civil servant is scruffy or dirty (medical staff), lazy, incompetent, negligent or corrupt, then they do deserve a good punch.

in our hospitals, there are signs which state that violence against hospital staff will not be tolerated; it completely skips over the question of 'what if they deserved it?'

as for people who get trapped while trying to ford obviously impassable torrents of water, leave 'em; it's evolution in action.

Yea, but in comparrison with what they do police and all other emergency services are very poorly paid. That's an other thing I think is bad. But lets leave that one to an other time.

"If they deserve it" then you go to their manager and tell them what's wrong and get it worked out that way. Punching isn't the way to solve problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

"If they deserve it" then you go to their manager and tell them what's wrong and get it worked out that way. Punching isn't the way to solve problems.
    there ain't no managers working after 15:30.
    and even if there was, they're the ones who've created the situations and attitudes that lead to scruffiness, negligence and incompetence; so where'd you think you'd get by telling them what they already should know?
    they're not interested. they just want their cushy little numbers and big pay-packets.
    and if you were to direct a hospital employee to a puddle of piss and said, "mop that up" and they refused, if you then punched them sufficiently in hardness and number, they would mop it up. and they would subsequently think twice about leaving any puddles of piss lying about.
    problem solved.