Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Paraphilias to be unclassifies as mental disorder

  1. #1

    Default Paraphilias to be unclassifies as mental disorder

    The Psychiatric Bible: Manual Manipulation | Psychology Today



    Disorders that might get the boot:

    The Paraphilias

    The Definition: Intense sexual urges involving animals, children, nonconsensual sex, suffering, or humiliation are classified as paraphilias—a term that was thought to be relatively nonjudgmental when it replaced "perversions" in 1980.

    The Debate: The category marks individuals as deviant and strange, even if they can live well-adjusted lives, according to critics.
    So basicaly, that means diaper fetishism may no longer be considered a disorder in The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. I'm pretty sure Paraphilic Infantilism would also fall into that category.

    Because, as we here all know, liking that kind of stuff isn't exactly life debilitating.

  2. #2

    Default



    even if they can live well-adjusted lives
    i don't know about that. my understanding was that the DSM only classifies paraphilias as disorders if they DO interfere with a person's ability to lead a normal well-adjusted life.

    all the same, i think it would be cool of they took paraphilia out of the DSM. people can take their fetishes too far and develop unhealthy obsessions, but people can also develope unhealthy obsessions with normal sexuality as well. in my opinion there's no real difference between people who chose to live as babies full-time and ordinary old nymphomaniacs.

  3. #3

    Default

    At least that's a positive step towards public understanding or at least where they know about it but it's like homosexuality and it's don't ask, don't tell.

  4. #4

    Default

    I wonder when necrophilia can ever be healthy, or pedophilia? I can see part of it, but not all of it. Of course the fallacy here is that so many conditions are lumped together.

  5. #5

    Default

    If a behavior or attribute set interferes with someone's life: (a) across multiple domains, or (b) to an extent where their life is unbearable, then the person needs to receive treatment. Treatment is rendered and requires payment. Payment is given to clinicians typically through billing/diagnosis codes.

    Frankly, we can call anything by any name; if it's an orientation that does not bring harm to the individual or others, so be it. If it's an orientation that DOES bring harm to the individual or others, then should be addressed by either medicinal, therapeutic, or legal means.

    I don't think it needs to be more complex than this.

  6. #6

    Default

    I agree with Avery. Any form of sexuality damages if it becomes an obsession.

    One more thing though. I think the thing we should celebrate - and remember - is that *b-ism, apart from those very rare cases where it's crossed with something else, like the exhibitionist paedo mentioned in another current thread - does nobody else any harm.

    My abiding fantasy (and I KNOW it's a fantasy!) is to be looked after by a dominant lady in such a way that nothing much remains of the adult me. Even if that were to happen, the only person whose integrity would be in any way damaged would be - me! Hooray for *Bs. We are harmless!

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    So basicaly, that means diaper fetishism may no longer be considered a disorder in The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. I'm pretty sure Paraphilic Infantilism would also fall into that category. Because, as we here all know, liking that kind of stuff isn't exactly life debilitating.
    Well, both infantilism and fetishism are limited by the so-called "Criterion B." If the infantilism or fetishism doesn't cause "clinically significant distress or impairment" in a person, he or she isn't diagnosed with infantilism or fetishism...if that makes any sense.

    Currently, survey data suggests that about only about 41% of AB/DLs might get this diagnosis. This doesn't mean that the remainder aren't real AB/DLs, they just don't meet Criterion B. This number is apparently decreasing at roughly one or two percent every five years, since around 1970. The decrease might be due to easier access to information, society becoming more tolerant, etc.

    The Changing AB/DL Community

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BitterGrey View Post
    Currently, survey data suggests that about only about 41% of AB/DLs might get this diagnosis. This doesn't mean that the remainder aren't real AB/DLs, they just don't meet Criterion B. This number is apparently decreasing at roughly one or two percent every five years, since around 1970. The decrease might be due to easier access to information, society becoming more tolerant, etc.
    That is interesting stuff, BitterGrey. Could the decreasing number be due to Psychiatrists learning more about it and deciding that this behavior is not debilitating? I studied this stuff for some time and, among other degrees, received a B.S. in Psych some years ago. However, I frankly don't know where I stand when it comes to AB's or DL's. I don't think these labels apply to everyone. I have wanted to and worn diapers all my life, mostly out of need (urge incontinence) and desire (regressive behavior). I am occasionally sexually aroused by wearing diapers or having my wife wear them, but 99% of the time I wear them for their intended purpose. I think most people can integrate their lives with their diaper/baby stuff so that they function "normally." However, if allowed to act out our fantasies to the greatest degree, many of us would probably become non-functioning adults, myself included. The question is, would anyone want to persist in that fantasy world?
    Spaz

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    That is interesting stuff, BitterGrey. Could the decreasing number be due to Psychiatrists learning more about it and deciding that this behavior is not debilitating? I studied this stuff for some time and, among other degrees, received a B.S. in Psych some years ago. However, I frankly don't know where I stand when it comes to AB's or DL's. I don't think these labels apply to everyone. I have wanted to and worn diapers all my life, mostly out of need (urge incontinence) and desire (regressive behavior). I am occasionally sexually aroused by wearing diapers or having my wife wear them, but 99% of the time I wear them for their intended purpose. I think most people can integrate their lives with their diaper/baby stuff so that they function "normally." However, if allowed to act out our fantasies to the greatest degree, many of us would probably become non-functioning adults, myself included. The question is, would anyone want to persist in that fantasy world?
    Spaz
    Well, I can speak for myself in saying I would not want to persist the fantasy world for long. I would much rather have it as something to look forward to at the end of a long day, or as a special "treat". ^^ That way it still would hold its interest, would still be something special, and I could still function as an adult (of course, that's all the future speaking here, considering I'm only 18 and can't do much to be considered a functioning adult. <<)

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    That is interesting stuff, BitterGrey. Could the decreasing number be due to Psychiatrists learning more about it and deciding that this behavior is not debilitating? I studied this stuff for some time and, among other degrees, received a B.S. in Psych some years ago. However, I frankly don't know where I stand when it comes to AB's or DL's. I don't think these labels apply to everyone. I have wanted to and worn diapers all my life, mostly out of need (urge incontinence) and desire (regressive behavior). I am occasionally sexually aroused by wearing diapers or having my wife wear them, but 99% of the time I wear them for their intended purpose. I think most people can integrate their lives with their diaper/baby stuff so that they function "normally." However, if allowed to act out our fantasies to the greatest degree, many of us would probably become non-functioning adults, myself included. The question is, would anyone want to persist in that fantasy world?
    Spaz
    It's probably more likely that there are more non-damaging outlets for this.

    Look, had I access to ADISC as a kid, my life then would have been significantly less lonely.

    In much the same way, it is possible to experience a community of like-minded folks now without having to either completely disrupt one's life or just eat it unassisted.

    Speaking for myself, I'd not want to go 24/7 or otherwise live in a fantasy environment. Fantasies are best, I think, when they are visited from time to time rather than becoming part of the typical everyday tableau. In short, they are most effective when they remain sublime, and familiarity and routine disrupt this.

Similar Threads

  1. What did your mental health professional say?
    By Sparkz in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-May-2009, 18:58
  2. Gender identity disorder
    By Mitsukuni in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-Apr-2009, 07:52
  3. Is infantilism a mental illness?(Please take no Offense)
    By lilbabymikey in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-Aug-2008, 23:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.