Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Proper Introduction

Smile A Proper Introduction

Hellos, this is my third introduction! However, the last two sucked pretty bad and didn't really say much about me. So, here goes:

About Me
    My real name is Ash (ok, ok, Ashley, but don't call me that, only my mum calls me that when she's mad at me). My fake name is Arlikra, in case you didn't notice that already. Look at my avatar and you'll see where it comes from (18.03.1988 is my date of birth). You also might assume that I am a bit of a science geek, and you'll be right. I find chemistry very interesting, although I have no real intention to study it to a high level. I also have an interest in astronomy; I have been fascinated by space for most of my life.

I am a huge soccer fan, and I am a season ticket holder at Stoke City Football Club. I used to play a lot when I was younger (almost every night after school for at least 2 hours), but unfortunately as I have grown up my playing time has whittled down to one 40 minute 5-a-side match per week. As a result, I do not get enough exercise and I am starting to put on a bit of extra weight for the first time in 17 years! I am trying to remedy this by taking up badminton; we have installed a net in our back garden.

I love to read, but again I don't do so as much as I would like. My favourite books include anything by Roald Dahl, Harry Potter, Twilight Saga, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, of course. I'm also a big fan of Darren Shan. My other less interesting hobbies and interests, listed in no particular order, include: trying to collect Pokemon cards, playing IRC trivia, thinking about quitting smoking but not actually doing it, and learning all the bus routes in my city.

Personality
    I see the good in everybody, which is both a good and a bad thing. I respect everybody for who they are and I don't judge anybody without good reason. I feel guilty when I am rude to somebody, even when they deserved it. I respect everybody's opinions as long as they are presented maturely (unless you support Manchester United).

What I do
    At the moment, I am officially a bum. I've just attempted college for the fourth time and failed miserably. I cannot find the motivation to do anything at all. I think I am going to get a job and earn some money for a while, learn to drive and get a car, and then see what I want to do (I have no idea at the moment). I live with my mum right now, so I really want to get a place of my own so I can have a bit more independence. That's about it, at the moment.

The bit about diapers, added as an afterthought
    I am mostly DL, but on the AB side I'm more of a mischevious toddler when awake, and more baby when I want to go to sleep.

That's all I can think to say. Please ask me questions!

Dude84

Well done :-D

That's one of the better introductions i've read (including my own, which was awful). It's great that you're able to explain who you are to such a degree, something which I personally (and others) fail miserably at. :-)

I had to roflmao at the Manchester United comment though. I can appreciate that, despite my somewhat limited understanding of football...

Edit: Maybe this will give me inspiration to write a better introduction for myself, again. Will take me a while due to procrastination though. :-$
    Last edited by Dude84; 08-Jul-2009 at 01:51. Reason: Late addition

Hi Arlikra, I admire your third try at letting us know about you. I remember some of this from previous introductions, but this is presented well and coherently. Not that the others were bad and/or chaotic, but this is really nicely done.

If I can get myself off my fatass, I might try to do something like that for myself. But I am a world-class procrastinator.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypuppy View Post
    If I can get myself off my fatass, I might try to do something like that for myself. But I am a world-class procrastinator.
    Actually, my canine friend, you can do so from you fat ass. But I thought you were skinny...whatever.

Arlikra-

Very nice introduction. You seem like a nice guy. I share your fascination with space, and enjoyment of badminton. I'm starting to feel burned out on my current field of study, and wonder what a life in astronomy would have been like.

I always wondered what was behind the name Arlikra--thanks for the explanation. I liked chemistry, but struggled with it in college (poor study habits).

See you around ADISC.

Quote Originally Posted by markdude84 View Post
    Well done :-D

That's one of the better introductions i've read (including my own, which was awful). It's great that you're able to explain who you are to such a degree, something which I personally (and others) fail miserably at. :-)

I had to roflmao at the Manchester United comment though. I can appreciate that, despite my somewhat limited understanding of football...

Edit: Maybe this will give me inspiration to write a better introduction for myself, again. Will take me a while due to procrastination though. :-$
    Thank you Mark I'm glad I made somebody laugh (although I appreciate that not many people will get it).

I usually struggle to say anything about myself, so I was surprised at how easy this actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypuppy View Post
    Hi Arlikra, I admire your third try at letting us know about you. I remember some of this from previous introductions, but this is presented well and coherently. Not that the others were bad and/or chaotic, but this is really nicely done.

I'm glad you paid attention the first two times . The others were pretty bad, but thanks for your other comments, they made me feel all warm inside

Quote Originally Posted by PostTenebrasLux View Post
    Actually, my canine friend, you can do so from you fat ass. But I thought you were skinny...whatever.

Arlikra-

Very nice introduction. You seem like a nice guy. I share your fascination with space, and enjoyment of badminton. I'm starting to feel burned out on my current field of study, and wonder what a life in astronomy would have been like.

I always wondered what was behind the name Arlikra--thanks for the explanation. I liked chemistry, but struggled with it in college (poor study habits).

See you around ADISC.
    Thank you

What is your current field of study? I have considered doing Astrophysics at uni, and I may still do so (if I decide to go).

Well very nice to meet you Arlikra that was certainly an indepth introduction better than my re-introduction. Many welcomes to you.

Nice to meet you formally, I suppose. :3
    Also, I love Roald Dahl and I haven't met anyone who has read most of his books. I assume you have, and that makes me happy. =D

Also, I tried to make a name out of the elements with my birthday, and mine is Hefeth. Which is kinda weird sounding, and nowhere near as cool as Arlikra, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Kalloon View Post
    Well very nice to meet you Arlikra that was certainly an indepth introduction better than my re-introduction. Many welcomes to you.
    Thanks nice to meet you too!! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Nice to meet you formally, I suppose. :3
    Also, I love Roald Dahl and I haven't met anyone who has read most of his books. I assume you have, and that makes me happy. =D

Also, I tried to make a name out of the elements with my birthday, and mine is Hefeth. Which is kinda weird sounding, and nowhere near as cool as Arlikra, haha
    I haven't read any Roald Dahl since I was quite a bit younger, but I just remember loving them. I will perhaps read them all again if I can find a set anywhere (I don't have them anymore). What are your favourites? I used to love the BFG when I was younger and I remember being so excited when the movie came out!!

Hehe I'm pretty lucky I guess, a lot of dates just don't work. But at least yours is pronouncable! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Arlikra View Post
    I haven't read any Roald Dahl since I was quite a bit younger, but I just remember loving them. I will perhaps read them all again if I can find a set anywhere (I don't have them anymore). What are your favourites? I used to love the BFG when I was younger and I remember being so excited when the movie came out!!

Hehe I'm pretty lucky I guess, a lot of dates just don't work. But at least yours is pronouncable! ^_^
    The BFG was one of my favorites, but the one I really loved was The Witches. And of course, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. He had some wacky, off the wall stuff. I'm in the mood to read him now, actually. :3

This is true, but I don't think I'll be going by Hefeth any time soon. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    The BFG was one of my favorites, but the one I really loved was The Witches. And of course, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. He had some wacky, off the wall stuff. I'm in the mood to read him now, actually. :3

This is true, but I don't think I'll be going by Hefeth any time soon. ;D
    I can't remember reading The Witches actually... but I love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!! Hmm you've got me in the mood to read him too! *sulks because he doesn't have any of the books* Another one I liked was The Twits

Damn I need to go and get these books!