Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Twittering Teen dies in Tub.

Darkfinn

Default Twittering Teen dies in Tub.

Teen Dies While Tweeting In Bathtub - WPIX

Apparently a Romanian teen was electrocuted when she dropped her laptop into the bathtub.

Remember kids... electricity and water don't mix... just because it runs on batteries doesn't mean it's safe to play with in the tub.

Darwin Award anyone?

aj1983

Ouch, that's why all bathrooms should have a GFCI to prevent electrocutions

I can rest assured knowing if i was dumb enough to drop any electrical devices in my tub i'd be OK, in theory anyways

From the news article it sounds like the was actually out out the bath and was electrocuted by using a plug with wet hands, so she didn't drop it in the bath.

This just re-iterates the point that you should NEVER handle anything electrical with wet hands.

Not worthy of a darwin award I don't think and even so we shouldn't really laugh and should feel sad for the family.
    If MJ had died in that way you wouldn't all be laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    Darwin Award anyone?
    Submitted - look for 'twitter end' it's on the pending page.

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandWanderer View Post
    From the news article it sounds like the was actually out out the bath and was electrocuted by using a plug with wet hands, so she didn't drop it in the bath.

This just re-iterates the point that you should NEVER handle anything electrical with wet hands.

Not worthy of a darwin award I don't think and even so we shouldn't really laugh and should feel sad for the family.
    If MJ had died in that way you wouldn't all be laughing.
    I would.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1983 View Post
    Ouch, that's why all bathrooms should have a GFCI to prevent electrocutions
    Good point! If you live in a home built before GFCI outlets were required by the electrical codes in force at time of construction, you should have them changed out in bathrooms for safety sake. Kitchens too, if there's an outlet in proximity to the sink.

~Pramrider

Darkfinn

Actually I don't think GFCI would prevent electric shock from a battery powered device coming in contact with water. Though I'm not going to go drop my lappy in the tub and find out.

Did the teen at least get "Currently dying" up on their twitter account?

Was the laptop plugged in? I don't think a laptop battery has enough power to electrocute you, at least not into death. I think most laptops need like 15-24 Volts and around 3 Amps. Or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Was the laptop plugged in? I don't think a laptop battery has enough power to electrocute you, at least not into death. I think most laptops need like 15-24 Volts and around 3 Amps. Or something like that
    I am thinking the person plug the cord into the socket and the end hung over the tub the person climbed in and promptly got electrocuted/killed. That or the teen filled the tub with water after plunging the laptop in and some how the cord came out of the laptop and splashed into the tub. Either way a easily avoided death it was.