Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donating Blood

Default Donating Blood

Well I'm going to donate blood in a few hours. I've never done it before and am a bit freaked out. What do they do to get the blood? How long does it take? Should I eat before I go?

Darkfinn

They're going to slit your wrist and just let you bleed out into a bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    They're going to slit your wrist and just let you bleed out into a bucket.
    I thought they just lopped the arm off at the elbow! "It's ok, you'll only feel a slight stick" *slash*

Look, it's not that bad. They will use a heavy gauge needle attached to a bag. They insert the needle into your arm at the joint. it takes about 10-15 minutes depending on your blood pressure. You don't need to eat before hand, but I recommend drinking plenty of water. Before they let you leave, you'll have to hang out for 10 minutes, and they give you juice and cookies to get your blood sugar back up.

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    Look, it's not that bad. They will use a heavy gauge needle attached to a bag. They insert the needle into your arm at the joint. it takes about 10-15 minutes depending on your blood pressure. You don't need to eat before hand, but I recommend drinking plenty of water. Before they let you leave, you'll have to hang out for 10 minutes, and they give you juice and cookies to get your blood sugar back up.
    Don't lie. :tongue:

I hate when people call it a needle.

Look, it's a tube, okay? It's a metal tube with a sharp edge.

Besides that...

If it's busy, you'll end up spending more time waiting than actually having blood taken.

I suggest you bring something to play music with, because it can get kind of boring.

I agree about drinking water. You should be hydrated before you do it. If you're afraid of doing it, don't eat anything.

It's just like a shot. The most painful part is when they put it in, and that's not even that bad. Afterward, it's a breeze.

The after-reaction varies.

One friend of mine ended up having to lay down because he felt faint, and his entire face was white.

Another one said that his arm hurt for a little bit afterward.

Me? I was playing rather hard-core DDR-X roughly five hours after I gave blood. I felt fine the entire time.

~~~~

This is from a first-time perspective. I gave blood for the first time about two months ago.

You're braver then I am. There is no way you can coax me into giving blood. Even though I'm 0- and they would LOVE to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    Holy shiz, you're slow. xD
    I only take about five minutes or less once they stick the tube in me. Last time I was about 4:30. >.>

Anyway, matrixroks, giving blood is no big deal, and you're saving lives! The only part that stings is when they stick it in and when they pull it out, but it's not anything really painful. I definitely recommend drinking plenty of water and bringing a music player or a book, as Mes said. The waiting process is sometimes pretty long.

I'm proud of you for giving blood!
    I'm kinda gung-ho about donating blood, haha.
    Last edited by LittleMonster; 24-Jun-2009 at 23:25. Reason: added info.

I stopped giving blood, they pissed me off by saying if your gay we don't want your blood.