Thread: President Obama On Iran

Default President Obama On Iran

What is your opinions on how President Obama is handling the situation in Iran?

For now, I think he's doing fine. IMO, we don't need to be going around telling other nations how to live their lives, like Bush did. Nobody likes the bully.

I think he's doing the correct thing, but not the right thing.

Is there some option rather than opposing it in the manner in which the president is already doing? Supposed to go for a round of sanctions, as though the sanctions we've imposed and are trying to impose on Iran are politically difficult enough? Do some nation-building? How about threaten them and then watch Iranian police shoot protesters to show that they won't be told what to do.

People generally and people on ADISC specifically have unreasonably high expectations for the president and what it is possible to accomplish, particularly in such a short time.

It's ridiculous. He takes a bipartisan approach or compromises, and people say he's not fulfilling his promises. He doesn't take a bipartisan approach, and people say he's undemocratic. People don't know shit about shit and ought to sit quietly and learn something before spouting off. People don't have opinions anymore. They have reactions.

This is what happens when you base a campaign on unrealistic expectations. You build up millions of people and then they discover *gasp* Obama isn't Jesus, nor Black Muslim Stalin. He is a politician.

I think he's doing what he can without getting into political trouble, which is not enough. I think what's happening is a result of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the people of Iran are realizing, "Hey, democracy is working in Iraq so maybe it can work here." Then they decide that the elections are rigged and they get very pissed off because they are being denied their freedom. They need to rise up and take control of their government. Although I think the Iranians may need help, this is something they will have to do themselves, because of the political fallout from the Iraq War, no politician will touch Iran with a ten foot pole. Especially not Obama, the people's hero.

Quote Originally Posted by harris View Post
    People generally and people on ADISC specifically have unreasonably high expectations for the president and what it is possible to accomplish, particularly in such a short time.
    So we should only pass neutral or positive judgment on him? <_>