Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm building a new computer! :D

DannyTheNinja

Default I'm building a new computer! :D

Hells yes. I finally racked up enough savings. SUPER DUPER excited about it.

NewEgg wish list

Specs:
    • Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard
    • AMD Phenom X4 940 Black Edition @ 3.0GHz (I WILL be overclocking once I get a decent cooler)
    • 4GB OCZ Gold DDR2 @ 800MHz (again, OC'ing)
    • Lian-Li Lancool PC-K7B case - a steal at $85
    • eVGA "superclocked" NVidia GeForce GTS 250, 1GB (SLI later?)
    • 320GB Western Digital hard disk (my server has an assload of storage, no need for anything more, plus I'll be moving 2/3 disks from my old PC)
    • PC Power & Cooling 610W PSU, 80+ certified
    • Moving the DVD burner from my old box

Planning on running Fedora 11 x86_64 on it. Thoughts? Suggestions for a name? Thinking of naming her Charlie, after the serial killer.

--Danny

lol @ SUPER DUPER

Dude, X4 Black Edition? HELLO? Black Betty?

Congrats on the long awaited new rig. Black editions overclock like a champ, you'll probably get to 3.4GHz on the stock cooler, then get it up to pretty near 3.8GHz if you plan on staying in the safe-voltage range. The Gold OCZ is <3, those puppies will definitely do 1T and 1:1 with that Phenom.

/me likes

Well all my names will be lame by your standards, but I think Charlie is better than the name of the desktop that you currently have got. That name escapes me, but It did seem a little elongated.

But my random name is "HMS Calculus" or "USS Calculus"

Also, I don't mind have a good graphics card, but for Running simple but pretty text, is it really needed to spend that money on that horsepower? Seeing as you are not much of a gamer? At the same time get 1066 instead of 800Mhz? I don't know much of the price difference.

But enjoy your new build! I'm sure you'll post some pictures once it's all together.

Nice rig.

I'm very bad with names (as you can notice from my names)

Also, I don't mind have a good graphics card, but for Running simple but pretty text, is it really needed to spend that money on that horsepower? Seeing as you are not much of a gamer? At the same time get 1066 instead of 800Mhz? I don't know much of the price difference.
    Faster clocked RAM doesn't mean better performance, you need significant FSB rating before you can start to think on RAM speed. at 1800MHz FSB alone, you're talking 900MHz for maximum performance at a 1:1 ratio with FSBRAM, and 1T 4-4-4-16 timings.

Honestly, looks great except for the Fedora part I'd personally go with Debian (or Ubuntu, I suppose) or even Gentoo, but I've never been a fan of Fedora and I've definitely never been a fan of any RPM distro. Again, I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, though.

DannyTheNinja

Fedora's sort of my personal preference for desktops and servers while utility/workbench boxes and laptops have tended to run Ubuntu. It's odd, but I really wobble between the two a lot.

Oh, and I do plan to have OS X installed as a secondary OS ^_^ (finally I'll have a desktop PC that can run it). Heard it's gorgeous on two monitors, and it's cool to work with on my tablet, so it can only be better on Charlie.

--Danny

DannyTheNinja

[ Note to mods: I'm double-posting because of the nature of this late-breaking news, and the fact that this post is entirely unrelated to my last and so an edit would not make sense; that, and the timestamp element and 7-hour difference between this post and the last ]

I just talked with one of my friends for several hours and did a lot of careful research before making this decision. I have decided that instead of my NVidia GTS 250, I am going to purchase this ATI Radeon HD 4890 card he found for $190. It's my first time using ATI in a production system so I'm nervous about taking the leap especially with the extremely complicated situation that is ATI support on Linux. Yes, I made sure the return policy is adequate in case my testing doesn't go very well.

Sorry mm3, I know this is definitely gonna piss you off.

--Danny