Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Core i7 upgrade.

Default Core i7 upgrade.

Yesterday i went to MSY to upgrade my Core 2 Duo E6850 for a Q9650, but thay had none left in stock so i asked for a model down, Q9550 not in stock either, and i asked if there are any others and the sales guy told me there was a Core i7 920 for $392, i asked how much the 940 was and it turned out to be $800, so i thought for a few seconds and said; ok ill take the 920. So i left the store with a 8GB MicroSDHC card for my Nokia E71 arriving in the mail tomorrow, Core i7 920 2.66GHz, 4.8GT/s QPI, socket 1366. a day earlier I bought a Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283W - to put onto the Q9650 i was going to buy, and since i ended up getting an i7 920 i'm going to put the dark knight on the i7 cpu, on thursday this week i will buy 6GB (3 x 2GB)(triple channel) DDR3 1600MHz G.Skill PI for $152, maybe 2 sets to equal 12GB ram. the motherboard i enquired about on the phone was an ASUS P6T Deluxe which should be there in a few days (thursday) so thursday i should be getting my 6gb ram ddr3 and the motherboard.

this is what my computer looked looks like now, except i added a side blue led 120mm fan and removed the ASUS 9900 GTS 512 (G92) to give as a birthday present to a good friend.

i should list my specs..
    • ASUS P5E X38 (soon to be P6T Deluxe X58)
    • Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.6GHz (soon to be replaced with Core i7 920 when i get motherboard)
    • MSI GTX 280 1GB
    • ASUS 8800 GTS 512 (G92) (removed for a friends computer)
    • Amptac 1000W
    • Antec 900
    • Pioneer Blu-ray reader
    • Thermaltake Maxorb cooler (soon to be replaced with Xigmatek Dark Knight i bought when i upgrade to my i7)
    • 2 x 2GB (4GB) Team Elite DDR2 800MHz ram
    • 2 x 1TB (2TB0 Seagate Barracuda 7,200RPM RAID0
    • Logitech G15
    • Razer Lachesis (blue light)
    • Logitech Sphere AF
    • Altec Lansing 2100 2.1

some pics from a few months ago.
    (this is how my pc looks with the 8800 gts in it (i removed it)

and from a distance

and from front

i will post more pctures when i recieve the new parts.

list of broken hard drives....500GB seagate barracuda, 750GB Western Digital, 250GB Western Digital, and a few random 20gb's i blew up. so so 1.5TB hdd that broke on me XD

and this brings me to my question... i have 2 x 1TB hdd's in RAID0 i have used 1.2TB (i deleted some so i have now used 771GB from the D partition of 1.72TB) the C partition is 100GB with about 10gb free (i dont care about formatting c), but how do i go about transferring the data, should i borrow my friends 1TB external hard drive for a few days and copy the 771GB data and my documents forlder to it and format the hdd's and put the in raid 1 on the new board? (i know raid1 will make it 1tb mirrored but thats the idea)
    is there another way to keep my files on these hard drives or do i have to transfer the data to a external and put it back on when the hard drives are on the new board..
    Last edited by Mazza; 23-Jun-2009 at 12:58.

Why.... oh why... You could've probably gotten a dual CPU motherboard with two E8400s for the same price, then had enough left over to SLI your card.

because I wanted an upgrade to i7 and ddr3 to enrich my gaming needs? or some other equally lame excuse to buy new stuff. I just wanted i7 stuff, so should I get 6 or 12GB ram and can I transfer the data form my HDD's another way than using an external..

and i couldnt see any dual cpu motherboards in the store, was to lazy to ask for one or look for one.

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post

Why.... oh why... You could've probably gotten a dual CPU motherboard with two E8400s for the same price, then had enough left over to SLI your card.
    >Dual CPU
    >Dual Socket 775
    >Gaming

wut

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    because I wanted an upgrade to i7 and ddr3 to enrich my gaming needs? or some other equally lame excuse to buy new stuff. I just wanted i7 stuff, so should I get 6 or 12GB ram and can I transfer the data form my HDD's another way than using an external..

and i couldnt see any dual cpu motherboards in the store, was to lazy to ask for one or look for one.
    A very well OC'd E8400 is about the same as an i7 in terms of gaming. The only real advantage to getting an i7 is if you're going to be doing encoding, decoding, etc, etc. I forgot what that article mm3 posted a while back said LOL.

And go 12gb of RAM and multibox WoW. I can 6 box WoW on my crappy pc with no lag at all XD. lols.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    A very well OC'd E8400 is about the same as an i7 in terms of gaming
    Please provide reputable numbers and sources to back up this ridiculous claim
    Keep in mind; you'll need to have both CPU's overclocked or both stock for credible consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawaa View Post
    Please provide reputable numbers and sources to back up this ridiculous claim
    Keep in mind; you'll need to have both CPU's overclocked or both stock for credible consistency.
    Ask mm3, he's the one that first posted that article lols. I don't have it no more since I've formatted about 4 times lol.

lolz. I can't be stuffed getting a dual cpu motherboard.
    so i got a Core i7 920, P6T Deluxe V2, and 6GB G.Skill 1600MHz DDR3 tri-channel.
    ima post some picks when i get the stuff in the compter

i just need to backup the 1.5TB of junk i have and back it up, than the i7 platform goes in.. o yeeah i deleted 1tb of junk so all i would need is a 750gb to back it up.

Gaming. i7 makes no improvement in gaming than a nice E8400. Proof?

So if you want better gaming performance, get a better GPU, or in regards to this chart, add another.

do read. http://www.techpowerup.com/97734/Con...PU_NVIDIA.html
    Dispite the obvious fanboyism that happens with ATI people (or trolls) figuring this is a way to Nvidia to sell graphics chips and lead people rom i7 -- well, I guess it is. But the numbers don't lie -- if I threw a GTX 260 into my rig, and let's say I hit 100fps on COD5 ultra high -- with a 3.5GHz E8400, not even overclocked that much -- that 100fps isn't going to change if I upgraded to a i7 920, and unlike what a lot of noobs out there on places like OCN think, buying a $1024 i7 975 "Extreme" CPU will not give you >9000fps.

And buying an i7 is foolish at the moment anyway, with Intel revving up it's new plans for the Core series -- the i3, i5, i7, and i9.

And also; for the last time, I'll say it again and again. The Core i7 (etc) series has it's place. People need CPU power, yes. But if you're a gamer, it's a waste. End. I'm not here saying that the i7 is worthless. It's not. It's a nice piece. It just doesn't have a place in the gaming market.

I'm not only doing gaming.
    i will hopefully put the motherboard in and install XP pro x64 today or tomorrow