Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Metro Train Collision

Default DC Metro Train Collision

Hopefully there aren't any members that were on this train. (There's a few of us in this area)

DC metro trains collide, killing 4 and wounding 70 - Yahoo! News

Just caught the headline briefly on Yahoo news a short while ago, but haven't read the details yet. Train collisions usually have to be pretty severe to kill passengers, so this one must have had a very hard impact to kill and injure so many riders. I certainly feel for the families and friends of the commuters who lost their lives. Has anyone heard what caused the terrible collision - whether human error or mechanical malfunction?

~Pramrider

From what I read, only 4 people died. Also I'm not sure on the error, but one train was stopped, and the other plowed into it

Looks like they just confirmed 6 people died - article revised 8 minutes ago. That second train had to be moving along to do that much damage on impact!

~Pramrider

The pictures I saw showed one car completely on top of another with significant derailment, so I'm guessing it was moving at a pretty decent clip.

I thought the same thing Pojo, and I thought of you as well. The second train must having been going quite fast to climb the back of the first train. Someone must have made a mistake on the routing, since the first train was stopped.

Peachy

According to the news this morning, the death toll was up to 7.

And in all the books I've read about the D.C. Metro, they were so proud of their Automatic Train Control (ATC) system. I guess it failed horribly, as no two trains should ever be on the same section of track if it had worked properly. And under manual operation overriding ATC, the driver should have operated the train very slowly and should have stopped it well on time.

Peachy

Sure hope this wasn't another case of the operator being distracted due to texting, or working while under the influence of drugs/alcohol. We've had more than enough accidents from those causes in recent years.

I've had cab rides in diesel locomotives before and one thing is clearly obvious - the engineer needs to have his/her full attention on what's ahead with signals and track condition at all times.

~Pramrider

Death toll is at 9 now. Apparently one of the trains was an older model, and the Metro people never got around to replacing it, so it didn't have all the safety devices in it.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Death toll is at 9 now. Apparently one of the trains was an older model, and the Metro people never got around to replacing it, so it didn't have all the safety devices in it.
    Well, the "safety device" is the operator in the front. How hard is it to see that your own train is moving towards another train in the same track and then hit the emergency break. Of course, if the operator was busy text messaging or chatting away on his phone, he wouldn't notice that.
    Besides, if the train wasn't equipped with Automatic Train Control, it shouldn't even be able to work on that line.

Peachy