Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cash For Clunkers

Exclamation Cash For Clunkers

This is actually a very real temptation for us because we have an old '89 GMC van that would qualify (17 MPG Highway) and we've been constantly dumping money into it to keep it running.

Cash for Clunkers Car Buying Stimulus Bill- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

The sad thing is, the cars turned in get scrapped and are not to resold as used vehicles. We've had the van since our son was born - bought it to replace the Ford Tempo that was then too cramped to accomodate two children's car seats plus two adults comfortably on long trips - and it therefore holds some sentimental value to us, going back to when our kids were still little. But, we'll have to give it some serious consideration as to whether to let sentiments over it keep us from taking advantage of having $3500 to $4500 to put towards a replacement vehicle.

~Pramrider

From the last thing I heard about this there only takeing certian cars, it leaves me out everthing I have is on the newer side, all except the old miata, and that is too nice to crush.

Well what thay are doing in a round about way is makeing the really nice old cars more valuble, this could help the collector car market quite a bit it will make the older cars sold at places like carlilse and hershey worth more money.

I saw some great looking older cars at hershey last fall, I wish I had an huge garage and a ton of cash, they were some nice rides for around 3500 bucks.

I'd probably do that if it were to get passed, although since I have a minivan, it needs to have a COMBINED city and highway mileage of 18 or less...18 is just about what mine has on the city alone.

Scratch that, I looked on the fueleconomy.gov they have listed, and the combined mileage is 18 :O If that's so, then I'd totally do it.

Me and my dad could get like 12,000 bucks from this. My dad's friend from Nevada could maybe get 50,000 at least.

There's two car's in the garage that I think will never get fixed and one's a astro van which I know I won't drive due to it being too big and even in 15 MPH winds it's odd to steer. There's just too much surface area on that van, it's pretty much a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Me and my dad could get like 12,000 bucks from this. My dad's friend from Nevada could maybe get 50,000 at least.

There's two car's in the garage that I think will never get fixed and one's a astro van which I know I won't drive due to it being too big and even in 15 MPH winds it's odd to steer. There's just too much surface area on that van, it's pretty much a box.
    You don't just get the money and that's it. You have to buy a new car with better mileage to get the money. It's not like "Well here's my car." "Okay, here's your money, don't spend it all in one place."

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    You don't just get the money and that's it. You have to buy a new car with better mileage to get the money. It's not like "Well here's my car." "Okay, here's your money, don't spend it all in one place."
    Meh, well at least it's actually helpful rather then this 2 trillion dollars that hasn't done much of anything yet.

Meh, well at least it's actually helpful rather then this 2 trillion dollars that hasn't done much of anything yet.
    You do realize the money for this is FROM the huge stimulus thing, right? And what do you expect after only 5 months or so? People need to realize that things take time.

Peachy

Our government has pulled that idea out of the hat back in January, and the program has been running since February. Apparently, it was very successful - almost 1.5 million people scrapped their old cars (had to be at least 9 years old and registered in your name for at least a year to qualify) and bought new ones.
    It was meant to stimulate the automobile industry and replace inefficient cars with newer ones.

I don't most people really care about scrapping rare or older cars, as no one really uses cars older than 15 years for regular journeys. Cars that old are probably considered classic and driven for nostalgic value rather than commuting.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    You do realize the money for this is FROM the huge stimulus thing, right? And what do you expect after only 5 months or so? People need to realize that things take time.
    I am willing to bet your going to be saying the same thing in 5,10 or even 20 years from now. I know things take time and it's true it's not enough time for this stuff to trickle down. It's just insane it takes this long for even a fraction of it to finally get out of red tape.

I am willing to bet your going to be saying the same thing in 5,10 or even 20 years from now. I know things take time and it's true it's not enough time for this stuff to trickle down. It's just insane it takes this long for even a fraction of it to finally get out of red tape.
    If it's still like this in 5 years, well then there must be some problem, but I won't keeping saying that these things take time. 5 months really isn't a realistic time for something to be pushed through House and Congress, repeatedly until they both pass it and then the President can view it, etc. You have too much confidence in a speedy government.