Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Faking being mentally challenged

Default Faking being mentally challenged

I was talking to one of my DL friends online and he asked me if I would be a baby in public and I told him no because it be too embarrassing. He told me I can fake being retarded having a mind of a two year old and I told him I can't do that because it be very dishonest and I don't like the idea of people faking disabilities. He told me I wouldn't really be faking it, if anyone asks, my bf would just tell them I have a mind of a two year old and I'd be too embarrassed to say anything. Then I realized it be no different than me wearing diapers out in public and someone accidentally sees them on me and I said I am incontinent so they won't judge me. So if someone was being an AB out in public and someone asked about it and their partner said they have a mind of a two year old just so they won't be judged is no different than saying someone is incontinent because they don't want to be judged. Thoughts?

It's not like someone is pretending to have a mind of a two year old so they can get extra services such as social security or try and get a out of free jail card when they commit a crime, that be wrong just like it's wrong for a DL or an AB to pretend to be incontinent so he or she get free diapers from the gov or have them prescribed to them by a doctor so they won't have to pay for them.

Or what about someone pretending to be mentally challenged and his mother hires a nurse to take care of him but he is paying for it out of his own pocket but his mom writes out the checks to the nurse and the son pays her back. Thoughts?

Absolutely not. I think that is offensive. It's one thing to accidently get caught wearing in public and make up an excuse. It's entirely another to go out as a baby (whether dressed as one or behaving as one), making it impossible to not call attention to yourself, and using that excuse to justify it. It violates the cardinal rule that you don't draw attention to yourself in public and takes advantage of a slew of unfortunate medical conditions to do it.
    Last edited by harris; 20-Jun-2009 at 01:29.

Hmmm...I'm not going to come at this from a P.C. point of view because I think that's a tired, useless viewpoint that has no relevance to anything. That said, I guess...hmm. I'm having a tough time developing an opinion on this one. Kudos for coming up with a stumper, at the very least.

I guess it's all well and good until you meet someone you know.

I don't necessarily agree with foisting your fetish on the public at large under any guise, though. And if you don't do a good enough acting job, a lot of parents are going to have a lot of explaining to do. Hell, you'll be lucky if you don't have a lot of explaining to do for the cops. lol

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by harris View Post
    Absolutely not. I think that is offensive. It's one thing to accieently get caught wearing in public and make up an excuse. It's entirely another to go out as a baby, making it impossible to not call attention to yourself, and using that excuse to justify it. It violates the cardinal rule that you don't draw attention to yourself in public and takes advantage of a slew of unfortunate medical conditions to do it.
    My sentiments exactly. Theres a difference between accident and intentional.

EmeraldsAndLime

Sounds like someone is having trouble differentiating fantasy from reality...

I've entertained fantasies along the lines of what your talking about. However i would never consider doing it irl. Its lying and thrusting your fetish in people's faces even if they don't know it.

I'm really not sure how to answer this. I can see the dishonesty and problems with pretending to mentally challenged in public, but I can also see it from the perspective of someone who would find the thrill out of it. All in all, it's a dishonest thing to do, but if people are determined enough to do it, they'll do it.

As for comparing it to diapers, well that's just splitting hairs. If you think it's right, then go ahead and continue with it. With diapers, you're hiding them much better, and not thrusting it into people's faces. It's better not to think about the moral aspects as with something like a fetish.

As for faking any disability, well then I'm afraid I'm going to have to go against it, because I have a fetish: casts and braces. I wouldn't mind wearing those in public, and people would probably just think I broke something. There are so many problems and whatnot with this D:

umm truthfully you are very vague but here i go. mental disability yes i would never do it but you know they're are some crazy people that would do this and not even think about it. for like incontinent that is a completely different realm.
    for jail well some people literally have untrained themselves and some are members here at adisc. so some have to. some want them and will pretend to be. not this group because you have to pay for those you know i have had two family members and both have to pay for things like razors then again it may be filed under necessity enough that they will give you some. i say might because deodorant isn't sadly to say. and razors nope you have to pay for almost everything. Me personally don't plan on ever going to jail. but who knows i might do something stupid. sorry sidetrack anyways you probably will wan't to if you get jailed. and as for comparing it to diapers i really don't see how it compares. i mean acting like a two year old because they don't want to be judged i think i get but saying someone is incontinent because they don't want to be judged is different. true incontinence is uncontrollable and if you mean they wear under cloths then still it makes no point also. now if you mean wearing diapers withnothing covering out in public now that makes sense. now i am going to stop rambling now

The difference between this lie and the lie about being incontinent is that accidentally revealing a diaper and saying "I'm incontinent" is accidental and acceptable, whereas going out acting like a baby and have somebody saying that you're disabled is purposefully exposing yourself.

But then... I can see your point: If on-lookers all assume you're challenged, then what's the harm? Them seeing you is just like them seeing a real challenged person, and so consequentially there's no difference.

I guess it boils down to your ethical system: If you're a utilitarian (only consequences matter), then this would be perfectly acceptable, assuming you could be sure you wouldn't get caught. I personally despise utilitarians, and I think there's to play than that.

Default Faking being mentally challenged - NEVER ACCEPTABLE, EVER!

:bunny:Firstly, Calico, this was one of your best thought out and written threads so far. Good job!

I can see no reason why any adult would want or need to be "outed" in public dressed and acting like a baby. Period. Period!

Having worked with those with developmental disabilities all my life (In the Special Education field since 1974), I take even more offense that someone would intentionally claim to be retarded to allow them to behave publicly that way. This is a shameful, offensive and demeaning act to those who truly have disabilities of any kind.

Besides, we do not dress those with disabilities to appear to be the same chronological age as their mental age. Even if non-ambulatory, we do not push them around in baby strollers or carriages (sorry Pramrider). We attempt to provide as much dignity and decorum as possible, so they can be part of the mainstream of our society.

Quote Calico
    It's not like someone is pretending to have a mind of a two year old so they can get extra services such as social security or try and get a out of free jail card when they commit a crime, that be wrong just like it's wrong for a DL or an AB to pretend to be incontinent so he or she get free diapers from the gov or have them prescribed to them by a doctor so they won't have to pay for them.

It is my understanding that due to US Discrimination Law (Section 508: Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973)
    a person that is known or perceived by others to be disabled is entitled to receive the SAME benefits as a person with a true disability. This type of deception over a long enough period of time COULD result in a person getting benefits that he/she may have otherwise not be entitled to.

Say, if a person moved into an apartment building and displayed these kinds of behaviors to neighbors, and all the neighbors believed that this person had the mind of a two-year-old. Over the course of say, 3-10 years, and given that this individual would never be seen or heard out of character, while out and in the town or community. This could be enough to the claim provisions of 504 to receive certain governmental benefits. This is a very slippery slope, but it is conceivable that it could happen.

IMO, There are already enough too many Americans playing that (deception) game to get UNDESERVED BENEFITS to a lesser extent, with their blue handicapped tags on their cars.

Some to park as close to the front of a store so they can sprint in front of you, for others, so they can park their monster SUV at the end of some mountain road to be closer to the rock climbing wall they want to climb, or Expert ski slope they are about to ski or snowboard down. - Disability my ass! It's ludicrous!

And yes, Virginia, I do realize that this post has strayed some what off topic. Sorry!:bunny:
    Last edited by Diapered Rabbit; 20-Jun-2009 at 16:18. Reason: corrections, punctuation, additions